Submission Text Full Submission Page
Hi! It's me again :P and another run of Super Metroid's hack
Yeah, it's Super Metroid Super ZeroMission any% TAS by Hoandjzj
It's really an awesome hack of Super Metroid, based on Metroid Zero Mission on GBA, more info here: http://metroid-database.com/reviews/mszm.php
Emulator used: Snes9X v1.43+ v13(lua 0.05) for Windows
Goal of the run:
  • Aim for fastest complete ingame timer! Clear time: 00:18:41.32
  • Take damage to save time
  • Manipulated luck
About the hack:
  • Samus' ability has big improved:
    • Re-spin enable
    • Re-run after dash enable
    • Shinespark doesn't drain energy
    • Beam's delay has changed
  • About items:
    • Energy Tank's capacity is 50
    • 1 Missile pack value 5
    • 1 Super Missile pack value 2
    • 1 Power Bomb pack value 2
    • There are 3 unknown items: Plasma Beam, Space Jump and Screw Attack, they're only functional after you acquiring Gravity Suit, and you MUST collect all these unknown items to be able to get Gravity Suit (in this run I collect... none of them XD)
  • Bosses in the run:
    • My first encountered boss is Bomb Torizo, and of course, I escaped :P
    • The second boss is Spore Spawn (HP=1472, damage=32), killed by 15 Missiles
    • The 3rt boss is Kraid (HP=4072, damage=48), used Missiles and Super Missiles to kill, charged beams are slow so I didn't use, and it took time to manipulate the monsters to drop Super Missile!
    • The last boss is Draygon (HP=16384, damage=240) shinespark very helpful with this boss! And to reach to this boss I have to unlock 4 Security Locks
  • Bosses out of the run:
    • Crocomice :| (useless boss...)
    • Ridley :| he guards an Energy Tank =))
    • Golden Torizo: he guards the Security Lock 4, but I entered backward and skipped this boss :D
    • Botwoon: very strong boss, he guards Gravity Suit
    • Mother Brain: actually it's not Mother Brain, it's a monster with appearance like Mother Brain, it cannot attack and only be damaged by Missiles and Super Missiles
    • Phantoom: he's available after you kill Mother Brain and escaped to first Cateria
Preview: [dead link removed]
Enjoy ;)
Suggested screenshot:
(kidding, hahah :P)
Special thanks:
  • The author that created this hack (I don't know who!!! My bad b-( )
  • Super Metroid's team: for releasing the Super Metroid Tricks page
  • TASvideos.org: for creating a place for me to submit this run :)
  • Audiences: for watching this run :D
Another question: how's about my Phazon?! :P
Decision: Cancelled
  • Thanks Tub, I have had some improvements of this run, I will finish and upload the faster run soon :D

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3196: Hoandjzj's SNES Metroid Super ZeroMission in 31:35.40
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Unlike some of the other Super Metroid hacks that have come though here, I actually LIKED this hack. While it's not a direct copy of Zero Mission, there's a lot of similarities that I can see clearly as the game goes on. But I think the fact that it's similar, yet different, makes it fun. The hack was good, the run was well executed from what I could see, so I have no issues with this one being published in our hacks section. YES vote for both the hack and the run.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
I think the highlight here is seeing the later-generation Shinespark in action - it allows for some new tricks that aren't capable with stock Super Metroid. I think this is of sufficient quality to take the place of the current MockingBird run (this is clearly a much better hack).
sgrunt wrote:
I think the highlight here is seeing the later-generation Shinespark in action - it allows for some new tricks that aren't capable with stock Super Metroid. I think this is of sufficient quality to take the place of the current MockingBird run (this is clearly a much better hack).
Agree. The tricks seems well executed and optimized (from a non TASer view) and the hack seems better than Phazon or MockingBird, though i didn't play any of these hacks. Congratulations for this run! Btw, do you think you can improve the 100% or Any% run of the original Super Metroid? Or you're more into hacks? I'd like to see an improvement over the !00% run at least, but it would be nice to see an any% new record or a low% (Ice Beam) run better optimized than Saturn's last submission. It would be great to see that RBO run that Hero of the day and NameSpoofer were working, but i think Hero is still working in that run. The any% is still quite fresh considering the 100% and Low% run, so maybe these are the runs to be optimized if you're not only into Hacks. Great Job and keep entertaining us (Please) with your amazing runs!
this run was fast and all that shinespark action was realy a highlight. this hack is realy well made and the areas of zero mission are realy well recreated. yes vote a 100% run would be great since it would show a lot more of this well made hack !
Tub
desyncs for me in the room before varia. Which version of the hack did you use? Watching the youtube encode, this is a clear yes vote. The run looks very optimized, the route appears to be good, and I think this hack can finally obsolete mockingbird. (Although given the amount of high quality SM TASes, I still think it's a pity that many of these will never find a place on this site. Can we have the Phazon run obsolete mockingbird, then MSZM obsolete Phazon or something?)
m00
Tub wrote:
Can we have the Phazon run obsolete mockingbird, then MSZM obsolete Phazon or something?)
This will be a pretty short life to Phazon. Btw, forgot to say that i voted yes. Just in case i wasn't clear in my post. Also, the 100% idea for this hack is nice too.
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
@Eye Of The Beholder Thanks! :D Yeah I'm more into hacks, since the challenge is various from hacks :D I think the Super Metroid team is still working on the original. As I know (and HOPE) Kriole is working on RBO 100% and Cpadolf's improving his 100% run :D (CAN'T WAIT to see these XD) Maybe I'll do 100% of this hack :P
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
Tub wrote:
desyncs for me in the room before varia. Which version of the hack did you use?
I download the patch at MetroidDatabase (link above) and use the Super Metroid (JU) [!].smc rom :D (removed the header!)
Hoandjzj wrote:
Kriole is working on RBO 100% and Cpadolf's improving his 100% run :D (CAN'T WAIT to see these XD)
I think i heard something about Kriole beeing interested in joining to Hero to work in the RBO run, hope the project is already going on, i really liked the wip Hero released some time ago, it made me salivate for the final result. But i didn't know Cpadolf was working on an improvement of his 100% run, that would be great!
Hoandjzj wrote:
Maybe I'll do 100% of this hack :P
That would be great too. It seems there's a 100% no boss mini boss run on Nico Video, though i couldn't watch and don't know if it uses major glitches.
Very nice. My favorite parts were the shinespark slow falls to go down the shafts that were meant to be shortcuts in the other direction. :) Interesting that it's faster to kill Kraid than to use the Norfair back door. I guess the lava swim requires too many energy tanks for that route to be worthwhile?
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Editor, Skilled player (1403)
Very cool hack, I especially liked the interesting use of shinesparks. Yes vote
Around 2400 when you unlock the 4th security lock, was it not possible to manipulate a power bomb drop from one of the green enemies below to clear that path? Would it be quicker? I haven't played the hack, so I'm just playing devil's advocate here.
I think this is my favorite of the SM hacks I've seen. It looks great, and it has a great mix of old and new content. I loved all the Shinespark craziness, and the run ultimately looks fairly optimized, especially for a first run of the hack. Obvious yes vote. If I had to pick out a flaw (besides the fact that I don't like the look of the new Draygon) I'd say that the run slows down quite a bit towards the end. While I'm generally not big on hacks, this one I liked.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Looks optimized and good enough hack. I'd say it qualifies for replacing Mockingbird Station. Yes vote.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Tub
Derakon wrote:
Interesting that it's faster to kill Kraid than to use the Norfair back door. I guess the lava swim requires too many energy tanks for that route to be worthwhile?
There are plenty of e-tanks on your way to norfair and another in the lava, that's not a problem at all. But to use the backdoor, you must: - make a larger detour for charge beam - get grapple - sequence break a super missile not from spore spawn (which is slow) - get slowly through the lava and bomb your way through the speed booster room If we time both routes from Varia to Speed Booster and include the times for grabbing charge beam, we'll notice that the Kraid route is ~103 seconds faster (406 vs 509 seconds). Now you might think that exiting through the back door gets you closer to the norfair power bombs, but bombing though the SB room and traversing the lava again is actually slower, the kraid route gains another ~12s. The Kraid route will end up with less e-tanks and without grapple, but instead it'll get more SM packs and Spazer. I got the times by comparing with the any% run I linked here. That run appears to be less optimized than hoandjzj's, but it's very unlikely to improve the norfair route by ~115 seconds. What bothers me is that the other run managed to skip both the L3 and the L4 lock. Hoandjzj got both, each being a large detour. Skipping them would require the XRay scope (almost on your route) and some detours inside the space pirate ship, but it still appears to be faster to skip them.
m00
Is there any chance I could get a link to a prepatched version of the romhack? I can't seem to patch the rom correctly, and I prefer to watch SNES TASs from the emulator, rather than an encode.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Kingfisher wrote:
Is there any chance I could get a link to a prepatched version of the romhack?
Nope. The rules prohibit sharing ROMs on here to keep this place legal.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
I.. don't know if this one is actually better than the phazon one. But is good, astonishing visuals and nice gameplay Voting yes!
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
biohazard wrote:
Around 24:00 when you unlock the 4th security lock, was it not possible to manipulate a power bomb drop from one of the green enemies below to clear that path? Would it be quicker? I haven't played the hack, so I'm just playing devil's advocate here.
Yeah, those enemies drop neither Energy or Missile, no matter how many frames I tried! :(
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
@Tub Thanks for showing me very interesting videos! :) I haven't watched any run before TASing this hack yet! (and I think those videos are just a walkthrough, not TAS :P) But its route is very interesting, and I think I can improve it, but unless I finish it, I can't compare with my current TAS! (to know if it's faster or slower, and it's a v1.63, not v2.0) It's really worth a try ;)
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
PM me if you want the rom :P (is this legal?! ^^!)
An impressive run of an impressive hack. Yes vote from me. ... Granted, now I'll have to go watch the MockingBird run so I can comment on whether or not it should obsolete it... :P
Stuffs. Yarr!
Scepheo wrote:
The chance of choosing the right door is 0, because laser-absorbing goats will brainwash you.
GabCM
He/Him
Kingfisher wrote:
Is there any chance I could get a link to a prepatched version of the romhack? I can't seem to patch the rom correctly, and I prefer to watch SNES TASs from the emulator, rather than an encode.
What I did when encoding SNES hacks is simple. I renamed the IPS file to the same name as the ROM, and them I've put it in the same folder the ROM. After this, SNES9x automatically loaded the game with the hack. Did you try this?
The main issue with hacks of Super Metroid is that there's multiple versions of the ROM out there, some with headers and some without, and the hack patch doesn't work if it's applied to the wrong type of ROM.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.