Submission Text Full Submission Page

Cancelled by Mukki's request. Expect an improvement soon.

What's up dudes? This is my SpongeBob SquarePants - Legend of the Lost Spatula TAS. It improves jlun2's published movie by 2712 frames (45.20 seconds) because of a few minor optimizations and a new glitch that lets SpongeBob go very high.

The New Glitch

If the item you are currently using has spawned an object (example, bubble wand and the bubble) for some reason you can turbo A and B to gain impressive vertical momentum. For the spring shoes though, you only need to have them attached, which means you can go as high as you want with them.
  • Used VBA-v24-vbam
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Genre: Platform
  • Genre: Adventure

Stage by Stage Comments

To Treasure Chest

• Better jumping in Sandy's Park saved 6 frames.
  • The new glitch was abused twice times in Goo Lagoon, saving 117 frames.

To Jellyfish Fields

• Nothing saved.

Jellyfish Fields

• Nothing saved.

To the Carnival

• Nothing saved.

The Carnival

• Saved 497 frames because of the new glitch.

To Kelpazoic Jungle

• Nothing saved.

Kelpazoic Jungle

• Saved 203 frames throughout the level due to using the glitch. It's slower to use the glitch in the last screen if you're wondering.

To Undersea Desert

• Nothing saved.

Undersea Desert

• Huge savings here! Because of the glitch I can skip most of those stupid caves that you have to enter. I saved about 400 frames.

Rock Bottom

• Nothing saved. I hate this level because it is full of enemies that make it hard to quick work of.

Dutch Under

• Skipped most of the level with the glitch. Yay!
That's all I have to say, really. Thanks to CoolKirby for his movie and jlun2 for his movie and encouragement.
Enjoy!

Mukki: Judging...
Mukki: Accepting as an improvement to the currently published run.
Mukki: Apologies. It has been brought to my attention that has been improved since I first watched this. Nitrogenesis; if you begin improving a run remember and cancel the previous submission. Setting back to new.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Temp encode: www.youtube.com/watch?v=AroKKg-NA_Q
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Patashu
He/Him
Why don't you jump to the maximum height at all possible times?
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Editor, Experienced player (852)
Great improvements, but still an horrible game! ;) Yes vote.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Patashu wrote:
Why don't you jump to the maximum height at all possible times?
Say some spots please. If it is a tight space, jumping as high as I can would make me hit the ceiling, which is slower. I mostly do small jumps to dodge enemies, like scallops. If you're asking why I don't do the glitch all the time, it's because you move much slower horizantally then a regular jump while doing it.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Nice improvement! The run was pretty entertaining. Yes vote.
Blah Blah Blah... Why I'm writing this?
Patashu
He/Him
NitroGenesis wrote:
If you're asking why I don't do the glitch all the time, it's because you move much slower horizantally then a regular jump while doing it.
Understood, thanks.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Ridicously funny and entertaining. Voting Yes of course. @Nahoc I disagree, it's not THAT bad and the music is catchy though
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I love it! I don't know how you could find an amazing glitch like this, but this is the kind of semi-game-breaking glitch I tried hard to find. It looks awesome too; I really liked The Carnival and Dutch Under. I love seeing this game get finished faster and faster. I hope someday someone will improve it even more, maybe sub 6 minutes (could happen). Yes vote!
TASVideoAgent wrote:
Thanks to CoolKirby for his movie
Thank you for thanking me. It means a lot to me.
I very much enjoyed the technical quality of this TAS, and the new glitches were amazing. But I don't think it's entertaining enough. Still, because of the technical quality, I still am voting yes.
Samus plays the SA-Xaphone
Skilled player (1705)
Nice improvement! I'm suprised you finished the TAS so quickly! Anyway, yes vote.
This start being entertaining in parts. Congratulations!
No.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
jlun2 wrote:
Nice improvement! I'm suprised you finished the TAS so quickly! Anyway, yes vote.
Yeah lol, I finished it quick because the game is so easy to optimize, and I had a lot of free time. :p
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
another bad game choice in my opinion…
NitroGenesis
He/Him
ALAKTORN wrote:
another bad game choice in my opinion…
Eh, it has published run, so I don't think it matters.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Skilled player (1705)
CoolKirby wrote:
I hope someday someone will improve it even more, maybe sub 6 minutes (could happen).
Well, I'm not sure about saving 36 seconds, so how about 7 frames? :P Sorry NitroGenesis! Oh, and it's incomplete; It's up to the point where I get the net launcher.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Nice! Where do the improvements come from?
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Skilled player (1705)
NitroGenesis wrote:
Nice! Where do the improvements come from?
The glitch you found was done twice; somehow, I landed earlier. Otherwise, it uses the same route as you did. Edit: By the end of JellyFish Fields, I'm 318 frames ahead.
Skilled player (1306)
A good improvement, but there are some serious problems with the idling times in terms of entertainment. Voting Meh.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
jlun2 wrote:
Edit: By the end of JellyFish Fields, I'm 318 frames ahead.
Mind showing this? I'd like to improve my movie. :)
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Skilled player (1705)
NitroGenesis wrote:
jlun2 wrote:
Edit: By the end of JellyFish Fields, I'm 318 frames ahead.
Mind showing this? I'd like to improve my movie. :)
Sure! I'll PM you the WIP. Want to work together? :)
sgrunt
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
Well, if jlun2 is improving this (possibly in collaboration with nitrogenesis), let's wait for the improvement and not worry about this revision.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
lol how did you save 318 frames?
NitroGenesis
He/Him
The new glitch was used to skip something. I'm currently Making a new version, so far I've saved 8 frames over the WIP jlun2 showed me.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Sonikkustar wrote:
A good improvement, but there are some serious problems with the idling times in terms of entertainment.
Hate to admit it, but I felt this way too. Maybe while waiting for an oven knob to appear, SpongeBob could jump around or shoot an item or something (see my original run for examples). Maybe doing that in the new improvement can turn the Meh vote into a Yes vote.
NitroGenesis wrote:
The new glitch was used to skip something.
I can't wait to find out what this "something" is.