Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEUX 2.1.4a
  • Plays using a suboptimal character
  • Uses warps
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Aims for the fastest time
  • No death
  • Genre: Platform
This movie uses Luigi instead of Mario, and shows different strats he has.

Comments

NitroGenesis had suggested me to do a Luigi run, so I did, later, I had made the Luigi run, but I had to waste 3 frames over Bowser, I was about to submit it, but somehow, it didn't work, a few days, I had made an improvement (which is this), my new movie was 1 second faster and improved the 3 frame loss over the 2 Bowsers.

Level by Level comments

Level 1-1

Time: 369
1 timeunit was wasted due to Luigi's slowness.

Level 1-2

Time: 345
It seemed impossible to go through walls to the warp zone, but possibly the time will be slower if I do that.

Level 4-1

Time: 340
Few frames were wasted by Luigi's slowness

Level 4-2

Time: 355
Its impossible to go through walls to go in the third pipe, so I had to use the vine instead, but after the vine animation, I used the vine trick.

Level 8-1

Time: 200
Few frames were wasted by Luigi's slowness.

Level 8-2

Time: 342
It was impossible to do the Bullet Bill glitch, so I had to use the flagpole glitch without Bullet Bill.

Level 8-3

Time: 243
1 timeunit was wasted by Luigi's slowness, there's no fireworks at a 3, so I didn't waste frames.

Level 8-4

Time: 279
I improved my last movie that wasn't submitted by not losing 3 frames total from the 2 Bowsers.

Other comments

Suggested screen-shot: Frame 13344.
If anyone wants a Mario run, I will make one.
Enjoy the movie!
I'm canceling the movie, because I'm about to work on an improvement.
- The Mario with Famtasia
Forget what I said at making an improvement. Read my post for info.

DarkKobold: Judging

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Editor, Experienced player (882)
Woah, what's with the multiple submissions?
Current thoughts: Hachiemon (J) for GBA.
Dwedit
He/Him
unsubscribe
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Strike 1. Do not do this again.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
Congratulations on your first submission! I didn't know about this hack beforehand, but it seems like this is SMB using the SMB2 engine plus some graphical hacks. I agree completely that a Mario run would be pointless, but the Luigi run posed an interesting scenario: how fast could you beat Super Mario Bros. 1 using Luigi? We've had a Luigi run for SMB2J before answering the same question for Super Mario Bros 2., and I enjoy the concept. The problem in this case, though, is that in the case of Phil's Luigi run, there were many interesting solutions to work around Luigi's drawbacks, exploiting his improved jumping abilities to minimize his flaws. This really can't be seen in this run, probably because the game was not built for Luigi. That, coupled with the fact that this is a hack, and that this novelty was kind of destroyed by the fact that the final level was from SMB2J for some reason, and I have to vote Meh. You did very well with the material you were given, but it doesn't particularly make for a good run. Here are some ideas that you might want to try:
  • A warpless run of this hack (Perhaps some of the aforementioned interesting solutions will show up in some of the other levels).
  • Improve Phil's SMB2J Luigi run.
  • Make a Luigi counterpart to this run. I tried to do so myself, but I can't even flagpole glitch. :(
I hope to see more from you in the future. By the way, why not use your encoding skills to provide a stream for this run? More people will vote if you have a stream up.
All the best, Brandon Evans
It's not a hack. Well, not technically, at least. If anything it's an official hack. It was a promotional item given away by by the Japanese radio show All Night Nippon back in 1986 and was for the Famicom Disk System. It's supposedly rare (according to Wikipedia), and was indeed a mix of Super Mario Bros. and SMB2J. And I think some of the block placement is from VS Super Mario Bros., but I could be wrong. I haven't checked out the run yet so I can't say one way or the other whether or not I like it. But I downloaded the file and I'll check it out in a couple minutes.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I'll wait for an encode, since this sounds like an interesting run.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
I'm intrigued, actually. Can someone do an encode?
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
Zeikcied wrote:
It's not a hack. Well, not technically, at least. If anything it's an official hack. It was a promotional item given away by by the Japanese radio show All Night Nippon back in 1986 and was for the Famicom Disk System. It's supposedly rare (according to Wikipedia), and was indeed a mix of Super Mario Bros. and SMB2J. And I think some of the block placement is from VS Super Mario Bros., but I could be wrong.
Thanks for informing me about this, but my Meh vote still stands. This definitely helps further legitimize a warpless Luigi run, though.
adelikat wrote:
Strike 1. Do not do this again.
Sorry! Won't happen again!
Exxonym wrote:
Woah, what's with the multiple submissions?
I messed up, I clicked save too much since I thought my computer isn't working, I tryed to cancel the multiples of my submissions, since I went on about like 3 submissions, I was banned for 6 hours. Mod Edit: Normally I wouldn't edit a double posting, but considering I warned you once in the thread you created for this game (after 6 consecutive posts), I figured I'd remind you again: There is an Edit button. Please use it.
Blah Blah Blah... Why I'm writing this?
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
The Mario with Famtasia wrote:
I messed up, I clicked save too much since I thought my computer isn't working, I tryed to cancel the multiples of my submissions, since I went on about like 3 submissions, I was banned for 6 hours.
In your defense, this site should have methods to prevent you from submitting multiple runs at once in the first place. Just try to be more careful next time. What are your thoughts on my suggestions for future runs?
Brandon wrote:
I messed up, I clicked save too much since I thought my computer isn't working, I tryed to cancel the multiples of my submissions, since I went on about like 3 submissions, I was banned for 6 hours.
In your defense, this site should have methods to prevent you from submitting multiple runs at once in the first place. Just try to be more careful next time. What are your thoughts on my suggestions for future runs?
I did a future run, I did a Mario version, I will post a submission of that soon, but I don't think I can do a warpless run.
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
Brandon wrote:
I already did a future run, I did a Mario version, I will post a submission of that soon.
I really don't think that would make for a good run. That'd essentially be a carbon copy of regular SMB1 with a different final level. I'd almost definitely have to vote No on that one. I'd be very interested in a Lost Levels Luigi run, though. Please make that! :)
Brandon wrote:
Brandon wrote:
I already did a future run, I did a Mario version, I will post a submission of that soon.
I really don't think that would make for a good run. That'd essentially be a carbon copy of regular SMB1 with a different final level. I'd almost definitely have to vote No on that one. I'd be very interested in a Lost Levels Luigi run, though. Please make that! :)
My Mario movie seemed more entertaining to me than this submission, but I'm not in to making a warpless run.
Voting Meh for game choice. Even with Luigi, it's too similar to SMB1 for me.
I am the future ruler of the world! My forum: http://elderyoshisisland.forumotion.com/
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
Brandon wrote:
Brandon wrote:
My Mario movie seemed more entertaining to me than this submission, but I'm not in to making a warpless run.
That's a shame then. I really don't think a warped run of this game will be published, especially not a Mario version. Sorry, but that's just my two cents.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, salty!
Somehow I thought of not make an improvement, this or my future improvement could be rejected by: - Bad game choice. - Not good as Phil's Super Mario Bros. 2 Luigi run. Sadly, this is the only game I could think of to submit. ):
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
Somehow I thought of not make an improvement, this or my future improvement could be rejected by: - Bad game choice. - Not good as Phil's Super Mario Bros. 2 Luigi run. Sadly, this is the only game I could think of to submit. ):
B-b-but, I gave 3 other suggestions. Why not just try them? You clearly know how to TAS well (This was a very solid attempt for a new member), and it'd be a shame for your efforts to go to waste.
YoungJ1997lol
He/Him
Player (53)
how about next time, do your speedrun with phil
So yea, how's it going? Currently TASing: Nothing
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
how about next time, do your speedrun with phil
I don't know about that, because Phil doesn't come here as often anymore.