(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a Super play of Super Smash Bros. Melee, completing All Star mode using Fox, and aims for entertainment value only.
So, because it's based on entertainment, what I try to do is impress, show unlikely things to happen, perform 200% damage in a single combo (or the opposite, only attack the character once to kill it [or not even once?]). Of course, I don't take a single damage during the entire run.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
The encoder will probably need to contact me. There are MANY chances the replay file will desynch for many reasons, one being the dumping of frames. Yes, dumping frames of the replay file makes it desynch.
  • Dolphin revision used: r7323. (I started this project before v3.0 was released, and to be honest, r7323 works better with Melee).
  • Uses a memory card with 100% unlocked on it, in order to unlock All-Star Mode. Memory card files are available on GameFaqs.com
General Configurations:
-Enable Dual Core (speedup)
-Enable Idle Skipping (speedup)
-Skip GC BIOS / checked to JIT Recompiler (Recommended)
Glitches and / or advanced techniques used in the video:
Super Smash Bros. Melee has a lot of advanced techniques. If you’re an advanced player who dedicated some time on the game, you are already aware of them. However, if you are NOT ease with the game, maybe you will ask how the hell I can be so fast. Deeper information is available in a single video called the Advanced How to Play, made by myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
But ... Here is a more brief explanation of the techniques:
-L-cancelling. When you do an aerial attack in the air and land, you usually have a delay before to move again. However, if you press L before to land, the delay will be much shorter than usual.
-Wavedashing. It consists of air dodging close to the ground in order to slide on it. You can do it after pressing the jump button, so that you don’t jump in the air, rather slide on the ground. The technique is used to travel in an odd fashion on the ground.
-Edge cancelling. It’s Used to cancel the delay before to move again, after a wavedash of an L-cancel.
-Directional Influence. When you get hit, you can influence the direction you are sent simply by pressing a direction. But since I don’t get hit once, I’m talking about the computers here, because they do DI a lot, and they’re doing it in a way no human can really imitate. Computers actually DI upward all the time. So much that against Fox, Falco and Roy, they DI upward enough that I can shine-combo them, which would normally not be possible. But there is a bad side of their weird DI. Because of it, it becomes “hard” to combo them, they can escape easily after my attacks. Therefore, there is a lot of DI and luck manipulation in the video.
Here's a brief summary of all the battles:
Battle 1: VS Pichu. Already on the first level appears the lightest character in the game, with a good recovery. It means that I had to kill him without having to edgeguard him, but I had very, very few options for the combo because of how light is Pichu. Therefore, I decided to do a Dair combo, with addition to up B combo until higher %, so that I can combo Pichu to the second platform using a simple Jab, then proceed to kill him.
Battle 2: VS Ness. The technical beginning was reproduced from Dark’s Perfect Dark combo video, for being impressive. Yes, he’s impressive enough to be reproduced in an actual TAS video according to me, and it’s a sort of “homage” to him. After doing so, I proceeded to shine-combo Ness, with the help of the car at some point. This match is the only one long enough to actually use an item. They only appear after +15 seconds, which is very often too long for TASed Fox. However, I manipulated the item to be a bunny hood, and proceeded to perform the farthest combo in history... from the middle of the map to its extreme up-left corner.
Battle 3: VS Samus. I think I completely redid this battle 4 or 5 times. With various people’s opinions, I could manage to get this match more entertaining. My main problem was the map’s design that doesn’t really fit to Fox’s movements, mixed with a lightweight / hard-to-combo character. But in the end, I’m satisfied with it. I was surprised the shine-upair combo worked, thanks to the opponent’s awfully upward DI.
Battle 4: VS Mewtwo. This character probably was the worst to combo, using shines. Actually, I could shine him only once with success, so I went for a 0-death combo, using only one shine. Also, because of the character’s recovery abilities that are one of the best in the game, I had to kill him after the combo, without having to edgeguard, which is what I did.
Battle 5: VS DK and Yoshi. At the beginning with the walljumps, Fox seems like he used more than a single mid-air jump, but he didn’t. What happened is, after grabbing the ledge, I released it and walljumped. Then walljumped again, THEN used my only mid-air jump to come back and grab the ledge again. Ever heard of Phantom Hits? Well you’ll see plenty of them in this battle. Phantom hits occur when an attack hits in an exact distance from the opponent... and this distance has a really, really thin window, meaning that I need a perfect distance in for it to happen. Actually, as of August 2011, I’m the only SSBM TASer who can perform Phantom hits at will. It’s really hard right now, especially for the reason that we are not working with any plugins, such as knowing character’s position, which would help a lot. Anyway, I managed to perform a good couple of Phantom hits, but it seemed harder and harder with time.. I don’t know. I heard Yoshi was known for being the god of happiness, how ironic that he commits suicide here.
Battle 6: VS Fox and Pikachu. I restarted the battle twice, and redid Pikachu 3 times, again, for entertainment value. Thanks to Brasterd who became an expert in Fox vs Fox with tool-assistance, I’ve been able to 0-death combo Fox with shine-combos. Also thanks to Mugg who kept telling me to restart for more entertainment!
Battle 7: VS Jigglypuff and Ganondorf. Jigglypuff is the least combo-able character in the game period. I was lucky she appeared to be very close to the ceiling at the beginning of the match! Ganondorf is a whole another story. He’s very easy to get combo’d, so I went for a 200% combo, with the help of a wall. I went for a flashy ending, using an upsmash to kill Ganondorf to the left.
Battle 8: VS Marth and Bowser. Marth and Bowser are quite easy to combo, but the level is quite bad. It is small and the platforms are low, which prevents me from doing flashy ground-to-platform combos like you’ve seen in previous matches. I went for a shiny edgeguard. Fox was shining at every 8 frames, using edge cancels, for a surprising 7,5 attacks every second. This is the fastest known possible way to attack in the game.
Battle 9: VS Falco, Luigi and Zelda. Because Falco is heavyweight, Zelda is mid-weight and Luigi is lightweight, I had to take them apart. Falco react the same as fox when shined, so I went for a 0-death combo. I used the Down throw glitch on Luigi, and he didn’t complain about it apparently... He didn’t try hard to come back on the stage. All was left is Zelda in the cave of invincibility, so I also 0-death combo’d her. And yes, the last hit was a combo.
Battle 10: VS Mario, Peach and Captain Falcon. Against 3 characters in such a small stage, I decided to go for shines only, and low% kills to the left instead of the right. When TASing this, I realised Fox could combo Captain Falcon with shines sending him to the right, then to the left, and so on. Captain Falcon takes so long to recover that it’s an actual combo. Beside that, nothing much to say on this match, it was quick and painless for everyone.
Battle 11: VS Dr. Mario, Roy and Link. I wanted to start with a double walljump on the left side of Final Destination, also manipulated Doc to come and try to hit me out of the field of battle, what he did. After the kill, I tried different things on Link... and he must be the easiest character to get combo’d by Fox, because he really would get hit by anything. Roy apparently reacts the same as Fox and Falco, so I took advantage of it. Because I didn’t edgeguard much during the video, I went for a double edgeguard on them. Hope you enjoyed.
Battle 12: VS Kirby, Ice Climbers and Young Link. Here I tried to walljump in a very unsafe place, and well, it worked! I let you the surprise of how the battle goes. Hint: I heavily manipulated the computer.
Battle 13: VS Game and Watch. For the last fight I went for a fight as fast as possible. I manipulated the GWs to get together, and then kill them all with shines.
I ended the movie at the first possible frame, as requested by the rules of TASvideos.org.
Conclusion. Conclusion? Well, Dolphin is not the best emulator to date. I had a lot of problems doing this video, but I finally managed to finish it. And to be honest, I’m very glad of the result. Special thanks to Mugg1991, he’s the one who took the time to explain me how to get Dolphin, and begin with TASes. I owe all my TASing experience to him. Big thanks to Dark and Brasterd for your inspiring videos. My work would have been much less good without you. Also, thanks to all my subscribers on Youtube. You are the reason why I keep on doing videos. Without anyone to enjoy my work, I would never work on TASing =).
Also, Thanks for watching.

adelikat: Claimed for judging.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
TheKDX7
He/Him
Player (115)
o_0!!!! FIRST gamecube game :DDDD!
Senior Moderator
TheKDX7 wrote:
o_0!!!! FIRST gamecube game :DDDD yes vote!
Are you sure you understood the "Vote after watching!" part?
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
speaking of watching is somebody already encoding?
How should I know what I think before I read what I post?
TheKDX7
He/Him
Player (115)
Sorry. It is true I am little to unchain
Post subject: I'll take a shot at this once I get things set up
I'll try to encode it once I get things set up and configured and whatnot, so it might take awhile, but I will work on it.
Post subject: Re: I'll take a shot at this once I get things set up
Velitha wrote:
I'll try to encode it once I get things set up and configured and whatnot, so it might take awhile, but I will work on it.
Thanks Vetila. As mentionned in the submission, maybe you will have problems dumping frames. Even though, I managed to bypass the imminent desynch when dumping. So, if you have a problem dumping the frames, feel free to let me know.
Taming Dolphin, one frame at a time
omg someone encode this shit EDIT: please <3
Oh, play it cool. Play it cool. Here come the space cops.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I followed the WIPs and I can't wait to see the finished product! Anxiously awaiting encode on the first GameCube submission!
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Now things are getting interesting. Encode please.
Editor
I am sorry, but the preexisting save file needs a verification movie, even when it is patently clear that you was not involved in it's creation.
Post subject: Nothing but desyncs
As expected, I get nothing but desyncs during the main menu. I'm not sure what specifically desyncs either. Care to copy all your settings here, and get MD5s of the ROM and Gamecube saves? I know it's asking a lot, but I think Dolphin really should have this built-in like Fceux does >.> I just want to rule everything out and make sure that some setting someplace isn't what's causing problems is all. Also, I think a verification movie for this might be a bit much, as I'm not sure how long the 100% movie would be, but if it's as long as SSBB, than a 24 hour verification movie sounds a bit long imo :P
Editor, Expert player (2312)
SSBM ROM is v1.1 (says "Game ID: GALE01" in game properties). Savegame is, as said, to be found at GameFAQs. Settings: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=266039#266039 I will make a low quality encode if nobody beats me to it. It desynced for me in Yoshi's Story when landing a bair with messed up L-cancel. Please provide the exact memory file or gci file you used. There are half a dozen savegames to choose from on the gamefaqs page, I don't want to test them all, assuming different stats affect movie sync at all...
I used these configurations, except that I checked dual core, as well as idle skipping, as mentionned in the submission text. From my personal experience, I had a better TASing experience with these two checked.
Taming Dolphin, one frame at a time
Editor, Expert player (2312)
I used your settings (dual core checked, idle skipping checked) and now it desynced in Depths of Brinstar. You get grabbed by Jigglypuff and thrown to your death. Why did you use those settings anyway? From my experience, any settings that would normally boost performance are BAD for accuracy.
GabCM
He/Him
What?! Holy damn! An encode is necessary for this! But... I couldn't even encode Mega Man 10, so... I might try this but don't expect me to finish one. But seriously, I can't wait for an encode!
Need... encode... to... survive...
When human lurking is not enough
Player (98)
They really should make a rule mandating encodes be attached to new submissions, particularly N64/PSX/GCN/Wii/etc type runs since those are hard to synch. It might take longer for the submission to come out, but at least we wouldn't have 20 straight posts of "encode pl0x!!!!"
Post subject: I give up on dolphin encoding / no vote for breaking rules
Well right off the getgo, fox decides to bair right off the stage... I have no idea why but I can't help bursting in laughter... I'm guessing I don't have the right Rom however, but that desync was just too funny to not post. I mean, he just kinda Bairs off the stage LOL ^_^ 3 Different roms later, still nothing on syncing from my end, even with the correct mem card file. After playing around with settings in Dolphin, I can't even get a test video audio/video to sync up. The video dumps SUPER fast, while the audio records the lag in my fps due to dumping. 2.5 minutes of audio vs 40 seconds of video. We have had instances people using old versions of tas's to do certain glitches however (bisqwit's lunar ball vanquishes the balls from the table, but only on an old version of fceu), but I think you have to get that kinda thing cleared with the people first. From the Rules on the site: No questionable emulator settings The emulator should be set to emulate the system as closely as possible while still allowing the game to be played. You should not depend on a particular emulator hack to gain speed. The BIOS must be real If the system you are using makes use of system BIOSes, only use real BIOSes, not hacked ones. The settings "Skip Idle Frames" shaves seconds off the run, as does skipping the gamecube bios. However, it's gaining an unfair advantage over consoles through emulator settings (and makes things slightly harder for people to encode, or maybe it's just this version of dolphin, idk for sure). Also, I can't seem to get "skip gamecube bios" unchecked at all, every time I turn it off, it still turns itself on... I'm gonna have to vote No on this for breaking the site rules, and due to playback issues. Also, I do give up on Dolphin encoding at least for now. Add some MD5 checksum checking of the Rom file, and save settings per movie that could affect the dumping and playback. It's got potential, it's just not quite there yet.
Cant wait to see this!
LSK
I'd really much rather the first Gamecube submission to the site be an actual TAS instead of "entertainment value only." I can't watch it until an encode is put up, but I will not vote "yes" unless it only makes small sacrifices of time for entertainment.
Player (116)
I know we are all excited to see this but please take some time to read the posts before saying encode please. This is a newer system to TASing so some kinks have to be worked out. I understand we all want to see this, but please be patient. Asking for Encodes is not going to make them come faster. Thank you, Wak017 for making the brave transition to gamecube games.
[19:16] <scrimpy> silly portuguese [19:16] <scrimpy> it's like spanish, only less cool
LSK wrote:
I'd really much rather the first Gamecube submission to the site be an actual TAS instead of "entertainment value only." I can't watch it until an encode is put up, but I will not vote "yes" unless it only makes small sacrifices of time for entertainment.
A precedent for entertainment vs. speed has already been set with the N64 Super Smash Bros. Going for pure speed will involve the player using the same move a hundred times, which sounds pretty boring to me. Matter of fact, a few SSB movies were rejected before the current one was published for that very reason. Every fighting game movie published here goes for entertainment first.
This guy are sick.
LSK wrote:
It IS an actual TAS. Tool Assisted Superplays.
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Post subject: Undumpable due to massive amounts of random desynchs...
After talking to the author (as well as finding the thread that shows me the proper settings to use), I too, get a desynch on Jigglypuff & Gannondorf. The problem is it seems to desync on the stage right before it (on the transistion, unless it's intended that Fox "moonwalks" into the portal). 50 tries to dump this and 50 desynchs on a multitude of places. The furthest I got to was Stage 2, where ness beat the crap out of Fox. No settings were changed other than to dump audio/video. Not to mention the A/V problem as stated in my earlier post. Enabling dump audio & dump video only adds complexity to this, and seems to make it desynch a LOT more often. What could be done (but is something I don't have time/patience for), is savestates, but I tried to make a savestate while the movie was playing back, and it wanted me to put in my own input... so maybe if the run was redone in segments, maybe, but I'm not gonna be the one to do this. Sorry fellows, this'll be one movie you'll have to get Dolphin setup for to watch.