Submission Text Full Submission Page
My Little Pony Crystal Princess - The Runaway Rainbow! Come join the fun and adventure as you guide not-Rarity through beautiful landscapes and meet new friends like the Breezies and not-Rainbow Dash! She is a brand new princess who was accidentally whisked away from home and will need to travel through the Breezy Forest and not-Ponyville to fulfill her important role of bringing about the first rainbow of the season!

This run was thrown together in a few days to commemorate the premiere of season two of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Recorded using VBA v23.5 svn 394.
Yeah, yeah, it's not the My Little Pony most of you are familiar with. This comes from the G3 line, and stars most of the cast that got morphed into some G1 ponies to produce the current ones. I was personally surprised to learn that over 25+ years of being around, very few games were made. This seemed like the only one I could do.
As for the run itself, yeah. Every single minigame may be skipped, but if I did it'd be little more than 30 minutes of "Hey, get this for me!" I kept them in to break up the monotony.
Some tricks:
  • While you usually walk on top of an item to pick it up, you can interact with them the way you do with most other characters, IE just approach and press A. This allows you to pick up items at quite a distance. Note that there appears to be some bias when approaching from the left. Coming from the right requires getting in much closer.
Some commentary:
Chapter 1: Introduction to not-Rarity and her mentor not-Cheerilee. Not-Rarity has been appointed a new princess and has the job of helping form the first rainbow of the season. Not-Rarity, however, has a bad case of ADD. Hoping to get rid of some of this excess energy, not-Cheerilee has her help the other unicorns in setting up for the Rainbow Celebration. This doesn't help, and her ADD addled (ADDled?) brain gets her into trouble.
Chapter 2: Here we meet the Breezies, the fairies resident to this universe. Here not-Rarity is charged to help compensate for their inability to keep their possessions organized and is sent wandering through the woods picking up books and playing Whack-A-Breezy before they'll help her. They seem intent to be obstacles, though, forcing her to pick up an item through collision detection and even barricading her from doing her job for a bit.
Chapter 3: The Breezies carry not-Rarity to not-Ponyville where she meets up with not-Pinkie Pie, not-Rainbow Dash, and not-Spike. She introduces herself by greedily munching down on a pie and then blaming her hosts for being so hospitable. Ordinarily she has the ability to send another pony to go help others with their chores, but she miraculously becomes responsible and helps them herself. Now if they'd only let her pick up more than one item at a time...
Chapter 4: Not-Spike decides the best way back to Unicornia is through a mountain pass. Here not-Rarity endangers not only her own life but the lives of two other ponies through her ADDled fascination with a butterfly. Not-Rainbow Dash pulls them out with her luggage, and not-Rarity does a little growing up from her experience. Eventually she passes by not-Cheerilee and has to race the pink star home before it's too late to make the first rainbow!
Chapter 5: All's well that ends well! Now talk to people and invite them to the celebration.
Some improvements:
  • Twenty minutes into this run and I realized there's a better way to handle text boxes. Towards the end of chapter 3 on you'll notice fewer text boxes because of this.
  • Maybe manipulate the breezies so they don't get in the way very often?
Some screenshots:
Remember, you too are a pretty princess! ~_^

adelikat: Replacing submission file for author. New file is 739 frames faster due to a new route in the final level

DarkKobold: Judging for Friendship and Magic.

DarkKobold: While I enjoyed the culturally relevant submission, the actual movie was barely a TAS. While some people claimed to have voted "no" due to ponies, it seems to me that a majority of yes votes were only for ponies. The general feedback related to game play was miserable. We here at TASvideos are not your friends, nor do we make magic. This leads to an incompatibility between ponies and TASes. Thus, I must reject due to this incompatibility.... Ok, actually game choice.

adelikat: Unrejecting for consideration of publicaton to the Vault

adelikat: "Twenty minutes into this run and I realized there's a better way to handle text boxes" - Given the simplicity of this run, it isn't unreasonable to demand the beginning of the movie be redone. It suffers enough in terms of not looking much like a TAS, this would help. Therefore, setting this back to rejected. However, a more optimized version of this may be Vault eligible.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (550)
I'm going to try to TAS this game because I want to be a pretty princess.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I don't even know what to say, Ferret Warlord...
Would be so much better if it was G4.
Current projects: Yoshi's Island Disassembly Yoshi's Island any% TAS with Carl Sagan
YES!!!! MORE PONIES, MORE PONIES, MORE PONIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Erm, yes, will watch soon.
I am the future ruler of the world! My forum: http://elderyoshisisland.forumotion.com/
KennyMan666
He/Him
And, so, after some talk in the IRC channel that inspired me: Meet Frame Advance, the TAS-making pony. http://kenny.next-era.net/FrameAdvance.png (cutie mark made by scrimpy!) Also his little sister, Save State! Totally not wearing a robe only because I was too tired to make a cutie mark. (see later post for ponies instead)
Det man inte har i begåvning får man ta ut i energi. "I think I need to get to Snoop Dogg's level of high to be able to research this post." -Samsara Read my fanfic, One Piece: Pure Corruption
Why is his cutie mark butter?
Current projects: Yoshi's Island Disassembly Yoshi's Island any% TAS with Carl Sagan
........... Um, I'll wait for an encode.
Samus plays the SA-Xaphone
mindnomad
He/Him
Former player
My life is complete
I've never anticipated an encode that much as today
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Without even watching this run, all I can say is this about Ferret Warlord.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Hmm, I didn't know anything about MLP before but learned a lot while watching this with my wife my wife who had a large collection. She comments that the lizard came with the castle set. Also, it's not accurate to say that Rarity is prancing around the MLP land. Prancing would take some more work.
Active player (432)
Really Ferret? My Little Pony?! :)
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Banned User, Former player
A masculine hunk like me cannot watch this movie, lest my testosterone levels drop dangerously low. (Btw, where's the encode? Not that I'm going to watch it or anything. It's just to know which video to avoid. Honest. Not watching it. Ever. Grrr!)
Want mah encode! :D
KennyMan666
He/Him
And so, after finding a great cutie mark for Save State, that sadly was obscured even with the smaller cape (now with a vest, though): :D
Det man inte har i begåvning får man ta ut i energi. "I think I need to get to Snoop Dogg's level of high to be able to research this post." -Samsara Read my fanfic, One Piece: Pure Corruption
No, simply because the only reason this TAS exists seems to just be propaganda for people to wtch the new show and put pictures of ponies all over this site. Is no website sacred :(
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Timic83 wrote:
No, simply because the only reason this TAS exists seems to just be propaganda for people to wtch the new show and put pictures of ponies all over this site. Is no website sacred :(
You just killed a PONY. How dare you! :(
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
It's immature comments like that that lead me to vote no. I implore everyone who doesn't want the internet to become the "ponynet" to do so also. You can have a MLP topic on every forum. You can have pony avatars. But sometimes it goes too far... I've played the game. It's terrible and "G3". Any other silly GBA movie based game could've been TAS-ed but this ganes seems to have been picked by the TASer for the sole purpose of spreading ponies.
Post subject: Hi, I'm Alden and I'm a brony. There, I said it.
Player (120)
What's wrong with spreading ponies? It is an awesome show and everyone should watch it. Most people are skeptical at first (I was!) but everyone I have shown it to has really enjoyed it. Friendship is Magic != the old poorly written and animated MLP. On topic, will watch this after I finish watching the season 2 premiere :P
I make a comic with no image files and you should read it. While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free. -Eugene Debs
I watched 5 whole episodes. I didn't like it.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
OK, so this game is terrible and slow-paced, and a bad game choice for a TAS since even if this is optimized, it looks like normal play. NO vote.
I thought " The encode is taking too long! I want the ponies now!!!". So I watched it on the emulator, and I could feel the brain cells in my head having strokes as I watched this movie, I'm pretty sure I felt my IQ drop 100 points. The overall game is slow, the music is annoying, and I strongly vote NO.
Samus plays the SA-Xaphone
No because * bad game choice * bullshit pony meme * 4chan/reddit
Active player (277)
What about 4Chan and Reddit?
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude