Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back was a well made, though fairly difficult platformer. It was not very popular, probably because it was a fairly late entry in the NES era. I'm sure most viewers are familiar with the story, and I hope you all enjoy the TAS.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEUX 2.1.5
  • Genre: platform
  • Aims for fastest time.
  • Takes dammage to save time.
  • Abuses programming errors.
  • Uses left and right simultaneously.

Comments

Force powers used:

• Improve blaster power
  • Levitation

Force powers skipped (due to being less useful and/or far away):

• Improve light saber power
  • Increase speed
  • Deflect blaster shots
  • Jump
  • Regenerate health
  • Mind control that makes enemies ignore you.
Used lua scripting to try to optimize boss fights.
The main programming error exploited was that you can avoid death by jumping on the first possible frame when passing through obstacles meant to be instant death. More details on specific levels below.

Stage by stage comments

Level 1: Hoth
Kept the Taun-Taun as long as possible because it had a faster run. Picked up the light saber. Skipped other force powers because they were too far off the path. Additionaly force run and force jump aren't overwhelmingly helpful. Skipped the middle part of the level and a boss fight by hopping through the frozen water.
Level 2: Hoth Snowspeeders
Used tow cables and sabatoge to take out the AT-ATs. Takes a long time to take one out using the blasters.
Level 3: Echo Base
The big strategy decision here was to grab the force power that improves blaster power, but skip the one that improves light saber power. The force is a much greater improvement to the blaster, and the light saber upgrade is much further off the path. You can fight and subsequently control the AT-ST's as intended, but it turns out not to be necessary. There are some beams that you can damage by normal means, or jump over. There are also some damaged areas that are meant to be instant death. They really do 128 damage (out of 255 health), but it takes a frame to die after the damage is applied. As long as you jump on the first possible frame you never actually die. The blaster force power makes quick work of the bosses.
Level 4: Dagobah
No major tricks here, and no big shortcuts. Just taking dammage to save time, and trying to find the shortest path.
Level 5: Dagobah
There are actually 2 opportunities to get the levitate force power. The one I pick up is much closer to the path. Vader deflects blaster shots as you might expect, so the fights are done by light saber.
Level 6: Cloud City
No tricks, just taking out ships as quickly as possible.
Level 7: Cloud City
Other mass dammage obstacles suffer the same programming error as the dammaged areas in level 3. This includes the vertical beams, which are meant to be passed with the help of R2-D2, or an AT-ST. Additionaly if you jump the frame before you run into them you pass through while taking no dammage. This skips a bunch of the level since the AT-ST is quite far away. It may seem that I go out of my way to take out an extra bounty hunter boss, but the path back to the left through the beams is invisibly blocked by the boss battle. The blaster force power makes quick work of the bosses.
Level 8: Cloud City
No tricks, just take out Boba Fett's ship as quickly as possible.
Level 9: Cloud City
No new tricks, just skipped an unnecessary boss fight.
Level 10: Cloud City
I used extra force power here to skip by some parts of the level since there is no use saving any force for the Vader fight. Note that there are 6 opportunities to fight Vader on this level, but I stick with the required 2.

Other comments

Because I was using TASEdit and Lua scripting the rerecord count is 0. I made a guess as to what the count might be in the game thread, but it is not accurate enough for the submission.

Potential improvements:

• Boss fights were optimized by lua script, but not exhaustively.
  • Different strategy on level 2. My path seemed best intuitively, but I did not try others.
  • Space battles on levels 6 and 8 might be improved through manipulation of enemy movement.

Potential for major glitch improvement:

Turbo up and A on level 2 results in hopping up through the top of the screen. I wonder if it would be possible to use this to mess with memory and trigger an end condition.

Acknowledgements:

I'd like to thank the following for the helpful resources.

Possible Screen shots:

28655, 33675, 35010, 43480, 43602

DarkKobold: Right in time for the awful Bluray release. May the judging be with you.(claimed)

DarkKobold: The force is strong with this one! Easy Accept!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3290: link_7777's NES Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back in 12:14.22
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I've already seen this, so I can safely say Yes vote! Great job on your first submission!
Just watched about a third of the youtube walkthrough, because I haven't seen the game before, and it looks great, so I eagerly anticipate an encode :)
Post subject: empire strikes back: youtube + video file
youtube Link to video video file sometime
Player (136)
The game wasn't that great... I missed the music most of the time. The run was well done with a very fast final fight, so it's enough for a yes.
Banned User, Former player
Is there some kind of problem with the sound emulation, or is it really like this in the original?
Experienced player (852)
I put this together without sound, and didn't actually listen until just before I submitted it. As far as I recall the sound is like this in the original, though admittedly it's been a while since I played on the real console. Based on what I see I think part of the problem is that certain actions seem to reset the sound track. It seems to me like encountering boss fights, and "death" (which I abuse my way out of) reset the music. Since those things happen quite a bit you seem to hear the first part of the music over and over.
Editor, Experienced player (730)
Well, that was an interesting run. I thought Luke was a Jedi, not a frog. Those Vader fights were most impressive. (Possible screenshot?) I think the thing I like most about this run is the fast paced acrobatics, which sets it apart from normal speedruns aka the tricks you pulled could not be accomplished in real time. I don't vote yes to NES runs often, but yes vote from me.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
That was quite impressive and a very good first TAS. Yes vote.
Skilled player (1404)
Zombie Luke! And cute credits.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Luke really needs to calm down. He's way too jumpy to use the Force. Nice work! And thanks for the encode, antd!
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Impressive... Very impressive... TASvideos taught you well, and you're now a true TASer. Yes vote of course.
"Luke, you can't cross the damaged floor on foot." :P Entertaining throughout, I haven't seen gameplay in this frog-like jumping style before, and it's fun to watch. Obvious Yes vote! Shame about the bgm though, it's a shame to miss out on some classic film music, which definitely would've made the video more exciting.
Player (116)
It was good, i liked him a Yes vote.
[19:16] <scrimpy> silly portuguese [19:16] <scrimpy> it's like spanish, only less cool
Shame the BGM is buggy, but overall a great run. Great to see a childhood game that defeated me so many times get beaten so thoroughly.
Player (98)
Strange and amusing, yes vote.
Yes vote
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Wow. The choppy sounds, bouncy character, and ridiculous text boxes make me think this is more like Commander Keen than Star Wars. This was pretty spiffy, however, with avoiding death traps and making a mockery of bosses. Yes vote, and nice first run!
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Trivial Yes vote, though WTF is going on with the music?
Experienced player (852)
Actually if you watch the credits I think the music is actually pretty well done. I think there are 2 problems during the run. I think some of the music has a silent intro, I also think some of my actions make the background music reset.
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
This really sounds like an Atari 2600 to me õ_o the music is so glitched it actually deserves my Yes vote already.. xP
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
Luke got lost on the way to Dagobah and landed in Beyond the Forbidden Forest. Shooting down Slave I with an X-wing? Preposterous treatment of canon. And clearly this game sets precedence for Yoda's Dragon Ball fight in Episode II, what with all the Jedi hopping around. For this, the game must be condemned. Excellent run.
Glad to see my maps were of assistance again! Yes vote, nice run!
Glitched? No. No, this is how it sounded on the original console. That's the clearest thing I remember from when my friend and I played it during a sleepover. It is, in fact, that monotonous, repetitive, and self-interrupting. Also I'm glad to see a TAS of this! I kept getting faked out with the Super Star Wars and Return of the Jedi TASes, thinking they were this when that was not the case at all. It's also amusing to see such cavalier disregard for most of the "threats" the game has to offer. I can't help but wonder if there's a faster way to get tow cables for the Walker section, though. Yes vote regardless!
Just noticed your comment "RAM addresses from the game resources page posted by Spinal. I verified them plus found quite a few others." Can you share which others you find so I can add them to the game page?