So, I was testing games for DTC4. This game was too simplistic for a competition, but a ton of fun to TAS. Yup.
  • Uses VBA 2.3
  • Uses death as a shortcut
  • Manipulates Luck
  • Takes damage to entertain.

RNG

The RNG in this game runs on a fixed 256 frame-long cycle. Thus, I take damage to entertain, as the next miss/1 dmg hit by the boss occurs on the same frame, regardless of what I do. I try and keep things interesting by varying his attacks and the damage I take, either nothing or 1 point. Note that there are 4 values in the RNG cycle that are miss/1 dmg hits, and all 4 are together, so the worst case scenario is to have to wait 251 frames. This never happens. The longest wait is about 170, to wait for the Star's cluster to come up.

Leveling

Every boss past the first is capable of giving me enough experience to gain two levels, but the game didn't plan for that, hence, I can only gain one level per wining fight. Before boss 2, I gain a level. After Bosses 3 and 4, I fight an additional fight to gain the extra level that I would have otherwise been denied.

Avoiding Enemies

It should be obvious that enemies can be avoided. Their movement is manipulated across the entire map. Avoiding is almost always faster than an encounter. Slimes move randomly once they hit a wall, and can be manipulated by the frame you enter a screen. Goblins change direction to move closer to the player when they hit a wall. Flying imps always move toward the player in either a straight or diagonal motion.

Attack Types

Every enemy in the game is weak to one of Will's 4 attacks - Swallow, Sea Gull, Falcon, and Eagle. This is fixed for normal enemies, and random for Bosses. Swallow as a weakness does the best damage when misses occur in the RNG, and is also luckily the fastest animation. So, in this run, I *ehm* Swallow a lot. Also, Pierre is strange - he is the only boss where a critical on Sea Gull matches up with a miss. Criticals do maximum damage regardless of weakness. Thus, it doesn't matter what his weakness is, so I manipulate him to have the lowest HP.

Closing Comments

BTW, this is "Knight Quest" not "Knight's Quest" Weird, eh? This is also one of the rarest Gameboy games, and sells for about $30 bucks. (Most GB games sell for $1-2 these days)
Also, holy crap it has been a while since I submitted anything.
Thanks to jimsfriend for his DTC3 suggestion, as well as the help with strategy.
Suggested Screenshot

adelikat: Claimed for judging

adelikat: Response was good enough. And the TAS quality is good. Accepting for publication.

Brandon: Publication underway.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3297: DarkKobold's GB Knight Quest in 23:22.73
Skilled player (1404)
Well, that certainly felt a lot faster than your test run. What all did you do differently? And what do the different attacks do/mean?
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Player (200)
Wow, I never even knew this game existed. It looks pretty good for a Game Boy RPG. Nice run - I was entertained throughout. Yes vote from me.
Rayas wrote:
Dunno if I'm really clear. I need to drink more.
<br>
adelikat wrote:
The idea was to kill off my family to avoid lost time to them getting sick and other inconvenient things.
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
This is the first time I get the will to vote Yes, and No, and Meh, at the same time! I feel so 33,3333%ed, I'll just rethink about voting @__@
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Hmm... not too bad. If only the character in Rolan's Curse moved this quickly... The game feels fairly underwhelming. It's cool to see that you're manipulating lots of misses from bosses, but it's still boring to see fights take 10-20 turns, most of which use the exact same attack. The pauses from dodging enemies doesn't help the entertainment either. The text boxes are fairly funny, with some slight Engrish. You did a good job with this, but the game feels like a Meh.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
I will do the official encode upon acceptance (Or when it becomes blatantly obvious that the run will be accepted).
All the best, Brandon Evans
Player (116)
NOt a bad run. io liked what i saw. YES vote.
[19:16] <scrimpy> silly portuguese [19:16] <scrimpy> it's like spanish, only less cool
I watched maybe a fourth of this run, and it was pretty dull. Walk around avoiding or running from monsters, engage boss, slowly whittle boss down, repeat. It's a good demonstration of what's possible with luck manipulation, but in that regard it's nothing I've not seen before, and the trimmings (art, music, etc.) weren't all that great this time. Meh vote -- well executed, bad game choice. It might've been fun to TAS but I didn't enjoy watching it.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Interesting game, I didn't know this one, and it's pretty good. But as Derakon said, it's pretty dull. The TAS is well-made, but the game is a poor choice. I'll vote meh on this.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
The overworld was slightly funnier than average for an RPG. The fights were also funnier than average for a GB RPG. The chnical quality was OK for this particular GB RPG. (I know, because I tested it a very long time ago while searching for short VBA RPGs to TAS.) The vote is Y for an average TAS, although the whole experience was below an average DK TAS.
This has got to be the blandest RPG in the history of RPGs. It's like they took the generic RPG formula and added a pitiful amount of embellishment and innovation. I was strongly tempted to vote no, but then remembered that the author is an admin, so... ;) No but seriously, I had to vote no for game choice, sorry DarkKobold. IMHO, the game just lacks substantial entertainment value, even with the aid of your tricks (I didn't think that intentionally taking damage gave it much of a boost). The technical quality of the run is clearly quite high, but I just can't vote yes on technical merit alone.
Oh, play it cool. Play it cool. Here come the space cops.
Former player
I can't help but think if this game was not called Knight Quest and was instead called <super popular (but also extremely boring) rpg of popularity> the posts would be more going along the lines of "well it's not much to look at, and the music is nothing special, but it does look optimized. It's too bad you couldn't get the shade skip to work. The boss fights are kind of long and boring, but since you're such low level I guess that can't really be helped. Overall it wasn't so bad. Yes vote, and I'll be looking forward to the new game+ run." With that said DarkKobold doubled the number of videos of this game on youtube (by posting two of his own) and there is only one walkthrough on gamefaqs, and there's not even an LP that I know of, so I don't think the site will be losing many potential viewers by not publishing this :p Edit: what happens if Will encounters the overworld hitbox of two monsters at the same time?
Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign aqfaq Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign Deign
Skilled player (1637)
jimsfriend wrote:
Edit: what happens if Will encounters the overworld hitbox of two monsters at the same time?
I tried the shade skip numerous ways, including defeating enemies right over him. Interestingly, when you return to the castle via the Shade skip, the king gives you the defeat text instead of the instruction text. In reality, I believe running into the princess that way was probably an abandoned way of finishing that encounter - since after you defeat shade, you automatically talk to her, instead of returning to the world map. Also, if you encounter two enemies at once, you can fight or run - fighting and winning means the next encounter will auto-start, and if you run, you can walk over both, iirc - neither being particularly useful.
Aqfaq wrote:
The vote is Y for an average TAS, although the whole experience was below an average DK TAS.
I can't say why, but this really intrigues me.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Yes voted because that screenshot is a pucker design.
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
I guess I'll do the official encodes sometime soon then.
All the best, Brandon Evans
Will try to vote. Will vote YES. Will watch again.
No.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1890] GB Knight Quest by DarkKobold in 23:22.73