(Link to video)

Game objectives

• Emulator used: DeSmuME 0.9.7 with Advanced Bus-Level Timing ON
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Takes damage to save time

Comments

Super Mario 64 DS was released in 2004 for the Nintendo DS. The game is a remake of Super Mario 64 for the Nintendo 64, bearing some new features on its storyline, gameplay and graphics. Unlike Super Mario 64, this time there are 4 playable characters, but only Yoshi is available at the start.

Glitches and Tricks

• Outside the castle glitch: when using a slidekick, if you do it correctly with a certain angle (glitching inside the castle’s wall as you are entering the water), the character is pushed down to the water floor, bypassing the water-entry check into swim animation. However, getting too close to the water’s surface will trigger the swimming animation, making running to the moat door our only option. MKDasher found a new method where if you press A or B 4 frames before glitching, you’ll always go to the water floor no matter your position. This is slower than the normal method but due to disregarding position it can become faster situationally.
  • No input: this trick consists of not pressing any direction. It's useful while the character's speed is above normal top speed, since speed goes down slower than pressing any direction.
  • Standstill run: holding the dash button without pressing any direction button makes the character run staying still. After doing it, pressing a direction would make the character run faster than normal speed and gain extra height on jumps. The trick is useful when you need to wait for something to happen or to reach platforms that would be unreachable with normal jumps. It's used at unavoidable wait times in BitS, in the Bowser battle to gain extra height while re-grabbing and in the first star to reach the platform.
  • Dialogue glitch: it works by talking to toad/bunny when the game would be pushing you out of its sprite, making you go through boundaries with the right position.
  • Endless stairs skip: we have no accurate explanation, but doing a slidekick into the corner of the 2nd step of the stairs will make you launch high from where you can fall directly into BitS.

Possible improvements

Glitching Mario’s 8-star door to finish the game with a single star; looks possible and hasn't been tested enough.

Special Thanks

We would like to thank cwitty for his great work put into finding useful RAM addresses, without which this TAS would’ve been much weaker.

Suggested Screenshot

[dead link removed]

sgrunt: Replaced the submission file with one containing a 545 frame improvement as requested here.
Mukki: Judging...
Mukki: Good response. Accepting for publication.

GabCM: Grabbing this submission. I'll wait for a proper YouTube stream to be uploaded on the authors' YT channels.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3314: mkdasher & ALAKTORN's DS Super Mario 64 DS in 14:23.34
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
if possible, we’d like to have the run on our own YT channels, with which I mean: can an encoder upload his encode to mediafire or similar, and send it to use rather than uploading it to his YT channel? the description text is poor because we’re bad writers edit: forgot to mention, the type of encode layout we’d like is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVDo_I-AmFc
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
ALAKTORN wrote:
the description text is poor because we’re bad writers
That I can understand, but it doesn't excuse you from not trying. The very least you could have done is to have gotten help from someone.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
Mitjitsu wrote:
ALAKTORN wrote:
That I can understand, but it doesn't excuse you from not trying. The very least you could have done is to have gotten help from someone.
I thought we’d get help with this topic, the text can always be edited
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I can't wait to watch this, but I'm in class, so I'll have to wait about two and a half hours to get home and watch it on DeSmuME, and then I will vote. Unless an encode is made sometime soon.
LSK
ALAKTORN wrote:
You should try to include at least these in a description text: - What levels are played, and what you do in each of them. - All glitches used, and what they do. - Potential optimizations
Techokami
He/Him
Huh, doesn't want to play back properly for me. I'm looking at the input and it looks like you press things before they can be pressed? Either that, or I don't have the right ROM/have a setting that needs to be changed (yes, I have Advanced Bus-Level Timing ON)
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
Techokami wrote:
Huh, doesn't want to play back properly for me. I'm looking at the input and it looks like you press things before they can be pressed? Either that, or I don't have the right ROM/have a setting that needs to be changed (yes, I have Advanced Bus-Level Timing ON)
no idea… emulator, ROM and the only emu setting I thought was necessary is written in the submission page input starts with stylus being held down for many frames, since you can do that to get the input as soon as possible
Former player
Just finished watching this, great movie. Voting yes. I'd really like to see an alternate character and 100% run as I'm unfamiliar with what's changed in the DS version other than the other playable characters.
I think.....therefore I am not Barry Burton
This is so great! I love the new route and the overall optimized look to the TAS. Obvious yes vote. One question, though: How does the BitS skip work exactly?
Editor
This is done already?
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
CoolKirby wrote:
One question, though: How does the BitS skip work exactly?
I can’t find the video. when MKDasher is back online LOL HE JUST CAME ONLINE RIGHT NOW sorry I just couldn’t delete this post it was too funny anyway we used texture hacks for all the star door skips, TASing in blackness is kind of impossible
Experienced player (647)
This video explains really well how glitch works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DpEdAXJmnk
will vote after encode
live life
Former player
Huh... desmume-cli doesn't play the movie, GTK+ desmume either segfaults upon startup or hangs when opening the movie by UI. Oh well, gotta wait for an encode, I guess...
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
ShinyDoofy wrote:
Huh... desmume-cli doesn't play the movie, GTK+ desmume either segfaults upon startup or hangs when opening the movie by UI. Oh well, gotta wait for an encode, I guess...
I have no idea what those are but the version we used was 0.9.7, as mentioned in the submission page
Voting yes, enjoyed the few glitches used. Hope someone will make a 100% run or a playaround showing more of those glitches!
Player (136)
I was surprised how different this game is from the N64 version. The run was really interesting. Yes vote. This will generate the desired layout: (I can't encode this one because my limits are 200MB or 15 minutes.)
orig = AVIsource("sm64ds.avi") #++ AVIsource("part2.avi") ++ ...
up = orig.crop(0,0,-0,192)
stackhorizontal(up.pointresize(up.width()*2, up.height()*2), orig) #maybe lanczosresize is better 
#pointresize(width()*2,height()*2)
I'll wait for an encode...
Blah Blah Blah... Why I'm writing this?
Techokami
He/Him
ALAKTORN wrote:
Techokami wrote:
no idea… emulator, ROM and the only emu setting I thought was necessary is written in the submission page input starts with stylus being held down for many frames, since you can do that to get the input as soon as possible
Well what I mean is, I see the stylus input for selecting "Adventure", but the game doesn't move on to the file select screen. The next tap to the screen (obviously to select file 1) sends the title screen into doodle mode... something isn't right here. EDIT: It was the ROM! I switched ROMs and it works. Watching now...
i was surprised this worked on the emulator so well... mips makes every tas possible :D great tas, yes from me
Techokami wrote:
EDIT: It was the ROM! I switched ROMs and it works. Watching now...
Yeah, I used to have that problem too. The one you need is V1.0 and it's kind of hard to find.
Techokami
He/Him
I can say that the thing you need to look for is "trm-smup", how you use it is up to you. Anyways! Watched it to the end, and I was really impressed! I thought Nintendo got all the glitches out of the game, but guess not! Too bad Luigi and Wario died :'( Yes vote!
Player (98)
To my disbelief, I actually got this to synch. That was... interesting. Without BLJing the run's very similar to a 16 star run.
I love that the game knows you never unlocked Luigi and Wario. As far as improvements go, I'll be pretty impressed if someone manages to get even through Mario's 8-star door without 8 stars, but it the meantime, this is quite impressive in and of itself! I wonder how a 100% run of this game would be. Luigi's high jumps are pretty boss.