• Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Manipulates luck
  • Contains speed/entertainment tradeoffs
  • Plays at hardest level
This run beats FODA's currently published run by 3025 frames by input length or 3007 frames (a little over 50 seconds) if counting when you actually beat the game. This was way more than I had hoped for when starting the run, as I thought I'd only add one shortcut (which ended up saving around 500 frames) and gain a couple of frames here and the due to better presision by utilizing memory watch which the previous run didn't. But the more I studied the game the more "hidden" physics I discovered, and I also found a useful glitch that involves falling through moving platforms and platforms that fall down when you stand on them.
Under normal circumstances, jumping gives a higher maximum x-speed value over walking.

New tricks/glitches

1-1 walking (name stolen from the Snes Mario TASes)

If you walk by alternating the left and right buttons every frame you will almost keep the speed you just had (it's 16 subpixels slower per frame on average, 1 pixel is 256 subpixels), it only works on ground. This means that if you can get a temporary speed boost (from a downhill or lian) and do the 1-1 running when you hit flat ground you can keep that high speed as long as the flat ground lasts. Another way to slightly increase your speed using this is to land a jump while having the throwing animation (which requires that you actually have something to throw, which only happens in levels 2-2 and 2-3. It can also be used right after landing a normal jump if you don't have enough space to jump, this will result in a speed that's only 8 subpixels slower than jumping. Another way to use this also exists, but I banned that which I'll mention further in the speed/entertainment tradeoffs section.

Quick acceleration

This trick is even weirder than one above. Basically if you're pushing in a direction in order to get your x-speed down to 0 and and you on your way to this number pass by the speed value of 0 pixels and 32 subpixels you speed will immediately go up to the maximum walking speed you can normally get. So if your speed is 0 and you want to get to maximum speed as fast as possible you must first accelerate normally until your speed is 0 pixels and 112 subpixels, then push in the opposit direction until 1 frame after your speed is 0 pixels and 32 subpixels and it will go up directly to the speed of 1 pixel and 96 subpixels.

Falling through non-solid platforms (platforms that can move)

_2_
   |
   |
_1_|
If you in picture above want to jump from 1 to 2 (where 2 is a solid plattform), you must reach a height of at least 1 pixel above the height of that platform, otherwise you'll just hit the wall. But if 2 was a non-solid platform you'd be allowed to be on the same height as platform in order to start moving right just at the edge of 2. However then you wouldn't be standing on the block but rather fall through instead, and once your height is lower than the platform you won't be able to kove to the right anymore. This trick is used two times in the run, even though I take use of the physics in the falling and rising platforms themselves rather than jumping.

Speed/entertainment tradeoffs

As mentioned before I choosed to not use one type of 1-1 running, namely the one that you can start just after landing a jump where you've stopped pushing forward 1 frame before landing it. This can at most result in you moving 1/52th faster than the normal jumping speed and it can be used anyware to save very little time, which is why I don't use it - because having Mickey wobbling his way through the whole game would just be tedious to watch.

Level by level improvements

LevelFrames savedTotal frames saved
1-14040
1-2146186
1-315201
1-499300
1-Boss12312
2-1299611
2-28631474
2-3691543
2-Boss241567
3-1281595
3-21201715
3-3491764
3-Boss341798
4-141802
4-271809
4-33562165
4-Boss762241
5-11432384
5-2312415
5-34472862
5-Boss672929
Final Boss96/783025/3007
Thanks goes to FODA for making the previous run that tought me some stuff when I was new to the game. I also thank the Youtube users RadioBowsa and filner who posted videos of the shortcuts that got me started on this run.

Truncated: Judging...
feos: HD encode.
Truncated: Accepted! A nice improvement to the current run.
fsvgm777: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Encoding HD.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Great improvement and great run, Aglar! Isn't there any other old runs that didn't use memory watch? Maybe there's some good runs to be improved the same way.
Former player
One of few games I had growing up, can't wait to see the encode!
Zoey Ridin' High <Fabian_> I prett much never drunk
Player (191)
Nice Work!! Yes, of course.
Por que praticamente só jogos de futebol têm versões em português?
PCachu
He/Him
Goals: - Every day he's shufflin' - Uses butt-stomp as a shortcut - Pulls fake-out on death - Takes damage to refill lifebar - Yes vote get
Editor, Experienced player (894)
Not the best game choice in the world, but it deserved an improvement. Yes vote. It looks a bit creepy how Minnie Mouse almost has the same sprite as Mickey, only the outfit is different. Like in the ending when they both stand in the same pose for a moment...
Editor, Experienced player (882)
Nice! I didn't realize how useful watching the memory was until my second TAS. Definitely a yes vote from me!
Current thoughts: Hachiemon (J) for GBA.
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
Yes vote, of course,.. it's too fun! +D
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
Read the text, watched the run. You people make me proud! Is what I would say if I ever taught you anything, which I didn't, I was merely here first. You are doing extremely nice runs on games I love (which is the only reason I picked them). Thank you for making these videos. How did you improve the bosses? If there's one thing I thought was perfect, that thing has to be the boss battles. Especially level 3 (which was funny btw). Did you improve them by lag control? I see some of them had better luck manipulation. Also, way to abuse the game's physics! It created some funny moments. Also... WOW I don't wanna spoil the surprise but that was surprising. Haha!!! @Eye Of The Beholder: basically most of my runs can be improved. If you want to tackle something, look at my published movies ;) Except yo! noid, don't tackle that.... Just kidding, you can tackle it. But the other ones will be easier. Hint: gauntlet has a known error and I didn't manipulate lag very well. Street Fighter 2010 is really old (2005!).
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
Yet another TAS thats been given the full Aglar treatment.
Dwedit
He/Him
When did Witch Mizrabel become Maleficent? I don't remember that happening in the Game Gear version!
Expert player (3578)
FODA wrote:
How did you improve the bosses? If there's one thing I thought was perfect, that thing has to be the boss battles. Especially level 3 (which was funny btw). Did you improve them by lag control? I see some of them had better luck manipulation.
For the 1st and last bosses, it's all about hitting them at the earliest frame possible which isn't completely trivial to do because of the jumping physics. 2nd boss is all about manipulation. For the 3rd boss it was slightly faster to wait for each enemy to land before hitting them. The 4th and 5th bosses were improved by better precision. Glad you appreciate the run:)
feos wrote:
Only Aglar can improve this now.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Aglar, how about SF 2010?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Expert player (3578)
feos wrote:
Aglar, how about SF 2010?
I have other plans at the moment. But for the future you never know.
feos wrote:
Only Aglar can improve this now.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
This was one of my first Genesis games back when I was just a kid. Always fun, but I never beat it. Good improvement to FODA's run. Yes vote. ALSO: I think using 1/1 running the whole time would've been fine; seeing Mickey wobbling like he was having a seizure was (for me, at least) utterly hilarious.
Previous Name: boct1584
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
This was pretty nice! It sometimes looked bad to go 1-1 wobbling through enemies taking damage (I'm not a fan of stage 2-3 stylistically), but the result was quite speedy. I'm most impressed by the hammer boss. Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
If I could vote then this would be an obvious yes, an awesome improvement to the existing movie. The end of level 5 was particularly enjoyable haha.
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
I enjoyed this movie! I vote yes. Comparing with the old movie, it seems that the trick where you take damage at the same time as exiting a room and cause the health to wrap to full again is also new. Perhaps you could add it to the description? (This comment was originally posted in the wrong thread.)
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
That trick was so surprising, I think he didn't mention it on purpose. Loved it.
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Can't add anything that hasn't been said already. Obvious yes vote, it's good, fun, and has amazing improvements. Thanks for this run!
Active player (432)
I never knew how pretty similar this game was compared with my/the SMS run. Lovely run, nice momentum throughout the entire run. Yes vote.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Reviewer, Active player (277)
Comparison video. Sorry it took so long. I was wrestling with a few things. On the plus side, this experience has taught me a lot about AVISynth. Anyways, I vote yes, and suggest this video be added to the "uses death to live longer" category. Here's the video for when FODA beat his first run if anyone's curious
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1903] Genesis Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse by Aglar in 17:33.03