Submission Text Full Submission Page
Flintstones (J) in 18:22

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Gens Re-Recording v11a
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses secret bonus

Comments

I've found that higher difficulty setting does not provide any entertainment benefits, it only prolongs boss battles. And also that JPN version faster than USA.

Mukki: Judging...
Mukki: The idea that prolonged boss battles alone provide a good enough reason to avoid the highest difficulty is absurd. Most, if not all, harder difficulty levels in gaming are so because of either stronger enemies or weaker attacks. It is true that we may allow a run to be played on a lower difficulty level under certain circumstances, but such a circumstance would be where the resulting boss battles are so long as to be severely detrimental to the entertainment value (for examples see here and there ). The effect upon entertainment is the most important point that has been missed here. The first boss, for example, has 25HP in normal mode and 35HP in hard mode and considering that the pterodactyl's fire breath does 5HP damage (as does a fully charged club hit for that matter) this can hardly be said to be a difference worthy of an exception. This game should be run on hard mode and for this reason I am rejecting this submission.
On a side note, this run was made using the Japanese ROM and the author's reason for doing so was rather ambiguous. From what I could gather the argument was that the Japanese ROM contained timing differences that were beneficial to the TASer. I would class this as within the 'gray area' as outlined in the movie rules. In other words, it is not a good reason to switch ROMs, and so the USA version of this game is preferred.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3322: khv-user's Genesis The Flintstones in 18:22.15
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Why didn't you play on the Hardest difficulty? Anyway, this TAS reminds me of the Gameboy Flintstones games. I wonder if they would make good TASes.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
I have to vote Yes after that scene in the quicksand, but ... it's a Weak Yes now that it was mentioned that it wasn't the hardest difficulty.. +D But, nice TAS \o\
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
I wonder why this wasn't played on the (U) rom? Anyway, it also seems to sync on the (J)[x] rom. Looks pretty good, too. I presume that flying and bird-walking are at the same speed? It seemed bird-walking also went at a pretty good clip but I'm not able to say whether one is faster than the other. This also seems like the sort of game that wouldn't be improved by changing the difficulties. Some of the boss battles are tedious enough already. All in all this run seems to fit very well with the others on the site. Voting yes.
Player (93)
Priam wrote:
I wonder why this wasn't played on the (U) rom? Anyway, it also seems to sync on the (J)[x] rom.
Japan versions usually faster, but I not checked it. Probably USA version has not speed different.
Priam wrote:
Looks pretty good, too. I presume that flying and bird-walking are at the same speed?
It seems that the speed is different, but not significantly, in addition lags can negate the speed advantage.
NitroGenesis wrote:
Why didn't you play on the Hardest difficulty?
what for? My aim - to finish the game as quickly as possible no matter what.
I thought choosing the hardest difficulty will push the game (or human skill, if I'm not mistaken) to its limits even further.
I like Doraemon
Player (116)
Don't the rules state that the game MUST be played on hardest difficulty? I could be mistaken.
[19:16] <scrimpy> silly portuguese [19:16] <scrimpy> it's like spanish, only less cool
Active player (405)
funnyhair wrote:
Don't the rules state that the game MUST be played on hardest difficulty? I could be mistaken.
Unless there's a compelling reason not to.
Skilled player (1090)
As there have only been four votes on this and not much discussion on the substance of this run itself I'm going to give this another couple of days. Hopefully this should give time for an encode and a few more votes and comments. Speak now or forever hold your peace...
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Mukki wrote:
Hopefully this should give time for an encode
I found one on kvh-user's YouTube account http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI5-03vS5DU
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Skilled player (1637)
Mukki wrote:
As there have only been four votes on this and not much discussion on the substance of this run itself I'm going to give this another couple of days. Hopefully this should give time for an encode and a few more votes and comments. Speak now or forever hold your peace...
Seeing as it is played on the wrong rom (J) not (U) and not played at the highest difficulty, I think it should be pretty clear.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Player (93)
DarkKobold wrote:
Seeing as it is played on the wrong rom (J) not (U) and not played at the highest difficulty, I think it should be pretty clear.
And what is he wrong? If you try to run this TAS on the U version, then pressing the buttons will occur EARLIER than expected. This means that the Japanese version is better suited for TAS.
Skilled player (1090)
I had not attempted to watch the run before I posted so I did not see the rom version used. khv-user, all runs submitted to the site must use the (U) [!] rom unless there is a very good reason not to do so. I'm not quite sure what the difference is you are reffering to, but I shall, of course, look at both roms before reaching a decision (though a preliminary glance suggests that they are very similar).
Jungon
He/Him
Player (40)
khv-user wrote:
DarkKobold wrote:
And what is he wrong? If you try to run this TAS on the U version, then pressing the buttons will occur EARLIER than expected. This means that the Japanese version is better suited for TAS.
Do you mean ... EARLIER because of the shorter text screens? They did tell on the rules that this is not reason enough to choose the J version.. o.o
*Jungon*/*Johnnyz* smilie weirdo =P ^^ o.o @__@ +D
Player (93)
Jungon wrote:
Do you mean ... EARLIER because of the shorter text screens?
I mean that all game events in the USA-version comes a little later. It is strange that language version has value here, especially if the game is almost no text.
Player (136)
There might be one more reason for the language choice, somewhat similar to the first sub-one-hour OoT run This TAS hasn't been created for this site initially, but just for Youtube. khv-user Did you know this site before you finished this TAS?
Player (93)
I started doing this TAS before registering on this site. But start again (and get the same result) because of an incorrect version not very hunt:)
NitroGenesis
He/Him
kvh-user wrote:
I've found that higher difficulty setting does not provide any entertainment benefits, it only prolongs boss battles
Then you use the Easy setting.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Player (116)
Nitro, He did use Easy mode.
[19:16] <scrimpy> silly portuguese [19:16] <scrimpy> it's like spanish, only less cool
Skilled player (1637)
NitroGenesis wrote:
kvh-user wrote:
I've found that higher difficulty setting does not provide any entertainment benefits, it only prolongs boss battles
Since when?
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
DarkKobold wrote:
NitroGenesis wrote:
kvh-user wrote:
Since when?
[915] Genesis Midnight Resistance by adelikat in 10:48.40
funnyhair wrote:
Nitro, He did use Easy mode.
No, he didn't, he played on Normal, and there is an Easy mode in this videogame.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, salty!
I call this game a big hot steaming pile of bag game choice. Hot damn is this run boring. Although the runner could have done more to entertain during the autoscrollers, I don't think any amount of entertainment would have made watching this game fun.
adelikat wrote:
I very much agree with this post.
Bobmario511 wrote:
Forget party hats, Christmas tree hats all the way man.
Skilled player (1436)
There are two theses:
Mukki wrote:
The idea that prolonged boss battles alone provide a good enough reason to avoid the highest difficulty is absurd.
Guidelines wrote:
Where a game has multiple difficulty levels, it is preferred to play on the hardest difficulty level (for more interesting gameplay) unless the only difference between difficulty levels is enemy/boss hit points, in which case the easiest difficulty levels are preferred in the interest of speed. If the difference in difficulty is inapplicable for your run, for example, you trigger the end game sequence right from the start, then selecting the hardest mode is unnecessary.
One of these thesis is wrong. I would appreciate if someone clarify me which one?
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
Editor, Expert player (2015)
Guideline is correct.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser