Super Mario Advance 2 is a GBA remake of the game Super Mario World for the SNES. The levels and the gameplay are nearly the same, but there are some minor differences like if you drop an item, it stops and don't have horizontal speed.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: VBA rerecording v24 svn422
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors

Comments

This run aims for the fastest time to defeat bowser. This game has not much lag in general, that's why it's faster than the SNES game. I used tricks and glitches to be faster and sometimes to make this run more entertaining.

Tricks used in this run

The tricks are mostly the same as in the SNES game so you can look after them in the Game Resources.

Hopping glitch

Mario's sprinting speed oscillates like this: 48, 47, 48, 47, 49 and if you release "right" (or left) it will stop oscillating at the speed Mario has. If you release at the right frame, Mario will hold 49 speed, and if you jump at the first possible frame Mario will hold his speed.

6/5

This trick is used to keep sprinting speed after slowing down. A full explanation of this trick is here.

-1 Trick

If you are at speed 0 it is faster to press the first frame "left" and hold "right" than to hold "right" from first frame.

Oscillating flight speed

When you fly, your speed oscillates like this: 51, 50, 49, 48, 47 you can release right to stop that, like in the Hopping glitch.

Fast air-catching

To catch air it is faster to press 1 frame "left" then 1 frame "<nothing>" and then again "left" than holding "left" all the time.

Spin jump flying

It's the same as 6/5 but here you are longer in the air. :)

1/1 Swimming

Even Mario's swimming speed oscillates - between 15 and 17 (or 31 and 33 if carrying an item underwater). This can be abused by pressing back and forth when reaching the highest oscillation point. This way, swimming speed can be improved from (15 + 15 + 16 + 16 + 17) / 5 = 15.8 subpixels per frame, to (15 + 17) / 2 = 16 subpixels per frame. The technique works similarly when swimming with an item.

Corner Boost

If you jump in the bottom right corner of a block, you can gain speed because the block pushs Mario forward.

Shelljumping

You can jump on a shell if it's thrown. It can help you in some cases.

Walljumping

If your speed is more than 32 you can catch the wall and you can jump off of it

Corner Clip

I used it one time in this run, in the scolling part of the castle. It's hard to explain so see here.

Stage by stage comments

Yoshi's Island 2

Nothing special.

Yoshi's Island 3

Nothing special in this level but sorry that you can't really see anything.

Yoshi's Island 4

I shelljumped to avoid jumping in the water and slow down.

#1 Iggy's Castle

You can't jump on the p-switch to save time here, because the p-switch will stop after you dropped it. I did't get the flower, because I would lose time.

Donut Plains 1

Getting a feather and fly around. :)

Donut Secret 1

Go in the other room to get a shell and using 1/1.

Donut Secret House

You can't go though the stairs, so I go around them. Big Boo fight is funny. :D

Star World 1

You can't glitch through the turn blocks.

Star World 2

Some music tricks and use of 1/1.

Star World 3

Using the p-switch to get the key earlier.

Star World 4

Using a shell to get the key earlier

Front Door

Fastest combination: Door 2 and Door 5.

Bowser

Ending input as fast as possible.

Other comments

There are some useful addresses you might want to see:
03003FA9 - x speed
03003FAD - y speed
03003FD0 - x position
03003FD4 - y position
03003FE6 - p meter
03004035 - takeoff meter

Suggested screenshots

6844, 10492, 13552, 19294, 26666, 27927, 33103

DarkKobold: The majority of the audience felt this was too similar to the SNES run, with worse sound effects and music. I am inclined to agree, this seems to offer nothing new over the SNES version. Rejecting.

adelikat: Unrejecting this submission for consideration into the Vault tier

adelikat: Unlike when this run was originally judged, ports of the game game to different consoles is not a factor when judging the run. Therefore, accepting for publication. Due to the viewer response, this movie will be published to the Vault

natt:procesing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I like this movie too (you saved over 5 seconds!). I just don't know if it should be published since we already have a run of the original game (which must be longer only because of its longer loading screens). I won't vote just yet.
What makes this shorter than the SNES version? On the surface, this run doesn't seem different enough from the SNES version to warrant publication. A 100% run on the other hand would have a yes vote from me almost instantly. I won't vote until I see an encode.
Post subject: Curently going through the video
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Yes I'm encoding it now get back to you when finished nice run ;D
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Something went wrong it lagged but it was the emulator so I'm redoing it again get back to you when uploaded on youtube
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Spikestuff
They/Them
So I accepted this run through as a "YES" the amount of diffrence in clock time between (Original) GBA and Snes is different so thats how it is faster. Also this is known as the first GBA SMW that might be going up. The use of skill and Glitches was amazing to see. Updating version to be clean ill post one down below (if not hit www and it should be there {Very late in Victoria,Australia})
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
I'm on the fence for this one. Granted, it's a well done TAS, and, if the SNES run weren't already there, this would be a shoe-in, but the problem comes up when comparing the two runs. The issue here is that the two games are near identical in terms of route and gameplay with only the subtlest of differences distinguishing the two. Coupled with the fact that most of the improvement is due to the lack of lag, the run just doesn't seem terribly innovative. If it were an improvement to the SNES version, or if it were a new route or different goal specific to the GBA, I'd give it a yes, but to me it is just too similar to the SNES run. Meh from me. (To clarify, when I say "improvement to the SNES version", I mean an SNES run that obsoletes the current run.)
Patashu
He/Him
I didn't like it. It was like the SNES version but less glitchy (no smashola, no passing through ramps) and less screen real estate. I do like the GBA version's redition of the castle and bowser boss music though :)
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Rolanmen1
He/Him
Experienced player (751)
As the rest im voting No. In the other hand, i would totally support a 100% run of this game. (For those who don't know, 100% = All Courses and All Yoshi Coins)
Spikestuff
They/Them
Update on video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgWlQH_7zRs I cleaned it up from the pixely wonders
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Editor, Expert player (2312)
Rolanmen1 wrote:
In the other hand, i would totally support a 100% run of this game. (For those who don't know, 100% = All Courses and All Yoshi Coins)
MUGG in #3340: Masterjun's GBA Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World in 10:13.0 wrote:
PikachuMan wrote:
What about a TAS in getting all 96 exits and all the Dragon Coins?
ISM made such a run, see here.
As seen in that run, you can pass through slopes in the GBA version also.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
I'd think a run using Luigi would have a better chance of getting published, since his physics are different in this version. As it is, this was enjoyable, but not different enough from the published SNES run. Voting No.
Previous Name: boct1584
Patashu
He/Him
boct1584 wrote:
I'd think a run using Luigi would have a better chance of getting published, since his physics are different in this version. As it is, this was enjoyable, but not different enough from the published SNES run. Voting No.
I forgot about luigi! I'd like to see a luigi run.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Spikestuff
They/Them
Patashu wrote:
boct1584 wrote:
I forgot about luigi! I'd like to see a luigi run.
Oh damn luigi I knew I saw someone while rendering this (3 Glitches in video due to YouTube glitch up crazy [I have to redo all as I deleted the video up on YouTube but not the run itself] I'll get back to it tommorow since I don't currently have my Pc on and its very late here) I recon a luigi run would be more entertaining even with his Smb2 physics on him.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Player (136)
Almost identical to the SNES version, but with much worse sound. The Super Mario 64 remake has enough changes to the gameplay to be good enough, this game does not have them. There was exactly one surprise in the whole run You managed to get through room 5 in Bowser Castle a lot faster than in any other run I have seen. No from me for bad port choice.
Spikestuff
They/Them
partyboy1a wrote:
Almost identical to the SNES version, but with much worse sound. The Super Mario 64 remake has enough changes to the gameplay to be good enough, this game does not have them. There was exactly one surprise in the whole run: You managed to get through room 5 in Bowser Castle a lot faster than in any other run I have seen. No from me for bad port choice.
Now I got questions towards YOU. 1) Do you play music? (if no then ok but you still have a problem| if yes you are tone death) you full on attack the game for the music writing that it is different and worse listen to both together at the same time it is the exact same the is no differences on game sound between SNES and GBA. 2)The Super Mario 64 remake is the WORST example to use if you know the generation gap between the 2 concoles you shouldn't be comparing a n64 to a DS version to a SNES and a GBA. Next time use either the Super Mario Bros Deluxe which was Nes to GB then compare it to the GBA of Super Mario Advance 2 Either you broke your GBA Speakers or your just tone death between the exact same music you would need to provide a reasonable backup showing that the GBA versions music is much worse. also he ain't the only who has done door 5 without death (obvious TAS) I have done it non Tas without getting touch on The SNES version and I tassed a clean run through with both versions. Sum up all your vote is Criticizing on GAME MUSIC you should have only voted meh without making some stupid false evidence.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Player (136)
Yeah, it wasn't the music, it's the sound effects which are a lot worse... Well, I should have added "too similar to the SNES run we have". And somewhat inferior gameplay, for example not going through the diagonal terrain in the ghost house.
Editor, Expert player (2312)
Spikestuff wrote:
you full on attack the game for the music writing that it is different and worse listen to both together at the same time it is the exact same the is no differences on game sound between SNES and GBA.
Either you broke your GBA Speakers or your just tone death between the exact same music you would need to provide a reasonable backup showing that the GBA versions music is much worse.
I can hear audio differences between VBA24m and snes9x1.51. I cross checked with BSNES and its music sounds slightly better than 1.51. Still, on the whole, SNES' music seems to sound best, while VBA24m's and original GBA's sound has a slight noise and seems less qualitative. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7nVvXbqNbw
Spikestuff
They/Them
MUGG wrote:
There are audio differences between the SNES and GBA versions, the SNES version being the better and more fluent one of the two. So the one who's tone deaf might just be you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7nVvXbqNbw
well I still had a clean version for both so that doesn't help calling me tone death
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Rolanmen1 wrote:
In the other hand, i would totally support a 100% run of this game. (For those who don't know, 100% = All Courses and All Yoshi Coins)
boct1584 wrote:
I'd think a run using Luigi would have a better chance of getting published, since his physics are different in this version.
I agree. We should either have a Luigi any%, a Mario 100%, or a Luigi 100%.
This is one of the few Mario games where I would prefer seeing Green 'Stash rather than Mario himself.
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
If you want a run of Luigi, it will be slower, because Luigi can't sprint as fast as Mario. Here is the speed in average of the two:
Mario:

Walking:   (20 + 19 + 20 + 19 + 21)/5 = 19,8
Running:   (36 + 35 + 36 + 35 + 37)/5 = 35,8
Sprinting: (48 + 47 + 48 + 47 + 49)/5 = 47,8
Flying:    (50 + 49 + 48 + 47 + 51)/5 = 49

Luigi:

Walking:   (20 + 20 + 19 + 21 + 20 + 19 + 21)/7 = 20
Running:   (36 + 36 + 35 + 37 + 36 + 35 + 37)/7 = 36
Sprinting: (40 + 40 + 39 + 40 + 40 + 39 + 41)/7 = 39.86
Flying:    (51 + 50 + 49 + 49 + 48 + 48 + 47 + 51 + 50 + 50 + 49 + 49 + 48 + 47 + 51 + 51 + 50 + 50 + 49 + 48 + 48 + 47 + 51 + 51 + 50 + 50 + 49 + 48 + 48 + 47 + 51)/31 = 49,19
Since you mostly have to sprint in the run, it will be slower. With hopping glitch with luigi, he will lose 2 pixel per 4 frames...
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Masterjun wrote:
If you want a run of Luigi, it will be slower, because Luigi can't sprint as fast as Mario. Since you mostly have to sprint in the run, it will be slower. With hopping glitch with luigi, he will lose 2 pixel per 4 frames...
Then, maybe Luigi could be faster than mario if the TAS would be a 100% run, because he can jump higher (if I rememeber well). And anyway I think a 100% run is the way to go with this game, to make a TAS different enough from the SNES one ;).
Patashu
He/Him
The main reason why the music sounds worse on GBA is because its smaller speakers mean it couldn't produce any bass. (Or at least I think that's why)
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2120)
Spikestuff wrote:
Now I got questions towards YOU. 1) Do you play music? (if no then ok but you still have a problem| if yes you are tone death) you full on attack the game for the music writing that it is different and worse listen to both together at the same time it is the exact same the is no differences on game sound between SNES and GBA. ... Either you broke your GBA Speakers or your just tone death between the exact same music you would need to provide a reasonable backup showing that the GBA versions music is much worse. ... Sum up all your vote is Criticizing on GAME MUSIC you should have only voted meh without making some stupid false evidence.
You do realize that the sound capabilities of a handheld system are seriously lacking in quality, I hope. The music on the GBA *IS* much worse. Barring that, the nostalgia factor of replaying a childhood classic and hearing the music is gone to waste due to the butchering each song gets because of the worse sound hardware. There is a massive difference between the two that you'd have to be "tone death" to not hear. Personally, I can't stand the GBA music, and I've played music for over half my life. Music debate aside, I'm refraining from voting on this.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.