Submission Text Full Submission Page
Take note that the European version of this game is called XS (+ it has language selection) and the American is called Huge Adventure. And that boss fights are faster in PAL (on reason why I chose it)

Game objectives & What I used

• Emulator used: VBA 1.7.2-rerecording-23.5a-svn421
  • Takes damage to save time (Only Air Levels)
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Genre: Platform

Plot

In Crash Bandicoot XS (Huge Adventure for American) Uka Uka has been upset with Doctor Neo Cortex failure once again but Cortex promices to change that so he srinks the world with his "Planetary Minimizer". Aku Aku informs Crash and Coco on what has happened and tells them to find in veries places in the world the 20 crystals (in other crash series it's 25 crystals). Once done this reverses the effects of this ray.

About the run

I am back with a new time of Crash Bandicoot XS as only 1 minute can be saved off the run (thanks to all of those who posted on my other run what to improve).
The change in this run compared to the last one I did was using slide-spin (instead of slides), underwater levels keep hitting A then at certain points and at straight lines hit B to speedup faster. Frame-advance (instead of only tassing), use more savestates (rerecords), get damage abuse ONLY in Air Levels and last but not least keep getting invincibility but also avoid large batches of TNT together or NITRO as it will slow down Crash.
HARSH DAMAGE ABUSE when i fought Ngin 4% health left
This run improves 2 runs turbofa's NTSC tas that he has set which was declined of 39:56.2 and my own PAL tas which also was declined of 39:48.38
<Lil_Gecko> Slide-Spin : 5 / 4*4 / 3*5 / 1*4 / 2*20 / 1 / 5 / 4*4 / 3*5 / 1*4 / 2*11 / 1 => 2,36

Special Thanks

• Lil_Gecko (For telling me speed was slower with slide only)
  • Warepire (For telling me to use the good old slide-spin technique)
  • jlun2 (For telling me to go and have another shot)

Snapshots

• 24257 (attacking Dingodile)
  • 54030 (running through tnt)
  • 95612 (Spinning directly under tiny-insert Roman Tiny Joke here-)
  • 106410 (Swimming through nitro)
  • 127536 (Walking on sewer water)

DarkKobold: I'm not entirely sure why this run got so much negative feedback. However, it appears that the majority of the feedback was that this run is simply not optimal enough. Additionally, even given a more optimized run, the amount of flying levels (fixed speed scrolling) are pretty boring, and I have to agree. Rejecting as a sub-quality movie, but game choice may also be an issue with future movies.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Side note: This is the fastest I can go for this game if your recomending me hitting Huge Adventure I will decline as XS is known to be faster (even with the language selection)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
It's nice to see you took most of my advice to heart, the run look loads better now. I did still see some missed shots though in the autoscrollers (I would still like to see 100% enemy kills for entertainment), and there is still a questionable bodyslam in the TAS (the one you perform at 21:57 into the encoded video), any reason for not bodyslamming through the boxes into the ground below? It feels like it would be faster than despite missing that directional fall. I will refrain from voting until that bodyslam question is answered.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I didn't watch the previous submission for this game, but I just recently finished watching this one. The game looks fairly good for a GBA game (surprisingly little lag). There are too many air stages though... You don't have a particularly high rerecord count for a run of this length, and indeed, the run feels a little bit sloppy. For instance, here are some things I noticed that may or may not be improvable (I haven't played this game myself): * In stage 3, you have to pause to get through a 2x2 pile of blocks, because you're up against them before you jump and spin. Why not just bounce off the TNT block to their left and spin during that bounce? * In stage 17, it looks like you take too much time moving far away from obstacles instead of approaching enemies more closely. * In stage 18, you wait a long while before you start firing at the first midboss. It seems you should be able to fire much sooner, take a whole bunch of damage, and then heal at the first health block afterward. * In stage 20, you slide past one piston, but your slide ends too early so that you have to spend a lot of time crawling. It seems faster to walk under the piston and start your slide later. * There's also the issue with missed shots in the air stages that Warepire mentioned. I'm not sure quite what to vote yet, but I'm leaning towards Meh. This run is alright, but it looks like it could be much more precise.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Not only does it look sloppy, but it's quite boring as well.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Warepire wrote:
I will refrain from voting until that bodyslam question is answered.
The body slam like that actually speeds up time as the sprites movement is shorten if i went down further I wouldve lost more time
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Spikestuff
They/Them
mklip2001 wrote:
There are too many air stages though... * In stage 3, you have to pause to get through a 2x2 pile of blocks, because you're up against them before you jump and spin. Why not just bounce off the TNT block to their left and spin during that bounce? * In stage 17, it looks like you take too much time moving far away from obstacles instead of approaching enemies more closely. * In stage 18, you wait a long while before you start firing at the first midboss. It seems you should be able to fire much sooner, take a whole bunch of damage, and then heal at the first health block afterward. * In stage 20, you slide past one piston, but your slide ends too early so that you have to spend a lot of time crawling. It seems faster to walk under the piston and start your slide later. * There's also the issue with missed shots in the air stages that Warepire mentioned.
Yeah I agree with the amount of air stages making them ententaining is hard Stage 3: Taken to account Stage 17: I think i know what you mean Stage 18: I start shooting when I was dodging obviously shooting the good damn planes wouldve been faster Stage 20: Couldnt find at what point but I think I know where you mean where I got damage abuse late Missing air shots at the non blimps health were deliberate I just was trying to tune with the song. Take note: I did Dingodile a hell loads faster than before
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Spikestuff
They/Them
xAzz wrote:
Please go troll somewhere else Crash Bandicoot on GBA is hard to make interesting unless it's on Playstation then it's possible to make it interesting
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Player (191)
Your run needs more optimization. This game is not a good choice. It has many stages repeated, just getting boring. It would be an interesting race in time attack, breaking all previous time. But this requires a Save State, and do not know if it is accepted by TASvideos.
Por que praticamente só jogos de futebol têm versões em português?
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
Spikestuff wrote:
xAzz wrote:
Please go troll somewhere else Crash Bandicoot on GBA is hard to make interesting unless it's on Playstation then it's possible to make it interesting
1. It's not trolling, it's an opinion. 2. You just admitted yourself that it's boring.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Samsara wrote:
2. You just admitted yourself that it's boring.
I didnt admit that it was boring a few of us (Youtubers not anyone on Tasvideos) watched this run in a call they liked it and they didnt get bored at all.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Spikestuff wrote:
Warepire wrote:
I will refrain from voting until that bodyslam question is answered.
The body slam like that actually speeds up time as the sprites movement is shorten if i went down further I wouldve lost more time
Ok. Considering the points mklip2001 pointed out that I didn't think of I will vote meh. I can assist with moral support and feedback along the way if you want to try again.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Warepire wrote:
I can assist with moral support and feedback along the way if you want to try again.
please do. I'm probably going to do a walkathon next as i am quite blank on how to improve this (- missing tons of stuff for no reason but to dodge them)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Experienced player (852)
I thought most of the run was reasonably entertaining with the exception of the flying stages of course. I'm a bit of a crash fan, so I like the game choice. I had a couple of questions about the TAS though. It's a little difficult to tell, but just based on the video something didn't seem right with water levels 2, 13, and 17. A few places going around corners and changing directions didn't seem optimal. Like hugging a wall or swinging wide around a corner. I was wondering if the idea of the Jumping off Ledges common trick applies. Meaning cutting the corner as close as possible at full speed. In levels 6, and 11 it looked like you had to wait for a log to move, and the waiting was done hugging the log. I wondered if you'd be faster getting a run at it and timing it so you get there at full speed just as the log moves out of the way.
Spikestuff
They/Them
link_7777 wrote:
It's a little difficult to tell, but just based on the video something didn't seem right with water levels 2, 13, and 17. A few places going around corners and changing directions didn't seem optimal. Like hugging a wall or swinging wide around a corner. I was wondering if the idea of the Jumping off Ledges common trick applies. Meaning cutting the corner as close as possible at full speed. In levels 6, and 11 it looked like you had to wait for a log to move, and the waiting was done hugging the log. I wondered if you'd be faster getting a run at it and timing it so you get there at full speed just as the log moves out of the way.
I did all water levels at full speed since I have speedrun it before at full speed non tas (didnt upload that to youtube though :/ i have another video instead). Did alot of save states there. nothing helped.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... minty!