In this run I improve XTREMAL93's attempt at this game by 34.88 seconds through a close attention to detail and attempting a few new time saving strategies.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEUX 2.1.6 with TAS Editor
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Genre: Platform

Comments

When I saw XTREMAL93's attempt on the submission feed I noticed quite a few moments where it looked that the run could be improved. When others commented on the low re-record count and noted the same flaws I did I decided to make a test run to prove it to myself. Upon my first attempt I managed to save 36 frames within the first 36 seconds and recognized that there was going to be much time to save in the run.
In the end, I managed so save at least two frames on each "scene" (from fade to black to the next fade to black) and in many cases saved many seconds in each segment.
In most levels the time was saved from better timing of jumps so that momentum was not lost and limit the number of full stops that were necessary to avoid enemies. Another major time saver was far improved boss fights through both new schemes to get hits in quicker and more frequently and simply optimizing existing strategies.
Attempts were made at trying to improve the down time during the run where not action was taken but in many cases the entertaining aspects I tried to implement added to lag during cutscenes so they were removed. In a few other scenes, like in the elevator and after the bosses, it appears that my character remains stationary by choice but in fact control of the character is removed during those scenes.

Other Comments

I was not sure on the protocol for improving on movies that were still in the submission queue. It appeared that others agreed that the other movie was not up to TASVideos standards. I tried to encourage canceling the submission and having XTREMAL93 improving and resubmitting. It did not seem that there was going to be a response to this request so I just did the run myself and here are the results.
Finally thanks to XTREMAL93 for your first run which helped greatly with the route planning for this run.

DarkKobold: Judging. Prognosis looking good.

DarkKobold: Good feedback. Accepting.

Brandon: Publication underway.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Guga
He/Him
Let me do a temporal encode for this. EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1e0eh4cumY
Skilled player (1706)
I was not sure on the protocol for improving on movies that were still in the submission queue. It appeared that others agreed that the other movie was not up to TASVideos standards. I tried to encourage canceling the submission and having XTREMAL93 improving and resubmitting. It did not seem that there was going to be a response to this request so I just did the run myself and here are the results.
Don't worry about it, this happened before.
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
Not the most entertaining run i've ever seen, but good enough for a yes vote from me.
Banned User, Former player
Competing submissions of the same game, woohoo! :P
Post subject: Re: #3450: goofydylan8's NES The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles in 11:12.16
XTREMAL93
He/Him
Active player (388)
In the end, I managed so save at least two frames on each "scene" (from fade to black to the next fade to black) and in many cases saved many seconds in each segment
How?
XTREMAL93
He/Him
Active player (388)
ThatGugaWhoPlay wrote:
Let me do a temporal encode for this. EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1e0eh4cumY
Not so good encode
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
XTREMAL93 wrote:
How?
Short answer: TASEditor v1.0.
XTREMAL93 wrote:
Not so good encode
Make better encode, if you like the game. Or even better, go and beat this record! ;)
XTREMAL93
He/Him
Active player (388)
AnS wrote:
go and beat this record! ;)
Maybe in future)
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Very nice improvement, I feel that there was some downtime that could have been used to do entertaining shenanigans. I was however still entertained enough to give this a yes vote.
Guga
He/Him
XTREMAL93 wrote:
ThatGugaWhoPlay wrote:
Not so good encode
Man, it just temporal. If this get accepted, maybe someone will encode it with logo and subtitles.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I will if it's accepted. But only HD for youtube. EDIT: About the run. Is there vertical and horizontal acceleration? You have weird placement on elevators, you walk further on them and then have to leave them later than it looks possible. Also sometimes you don't jump before leaving the upper platform, but just walk off it. Normally it causes to reach the lower floor later due to lack of vertical acceleration. Is it the case here? Isn't it faster to start walking before the electric wall disappears, do you gain any speed so?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1637)
Warp wrote:
Competing submissions of the same game, woohoo! :P
This may catch the attention of a certain TAS God....
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Experienced player (508)
ThatGugaWhoPlay: Thanks for the temp encode. XTREMAL93: As AnS said TAS Editor really makes it easier to optimize, but in addition to that it is just to retry every jump and enemy a couple different ways to find the quickest way and watching RAM addresses like velocity to minimize losses. Warepire: Yeah, sorry about that. As I said in the submission text I recorded this without any show-off aspects because I really just wanted to see if I could beat the submitted film. When I finally decided I would submit I tried to go back through and doing the extra actions caused the cut-scenes and level transitions to be longer. feos: There is indeed vertical and horizontal acceleration (excluding when running left. For some reason running left the acceleration process is bypassed and you also don't slow down running up slopes. They apparently forgot the fact that there are levels where you move left and didn't code it in properly). The weird placement on the elevator is because the elevators don't begin to move down until you stop on the platform. The extra distance is because it saves time to get the elevator to move at the fastest possible frame but due to the deceleration you slide and end up a little further out. It ends up being faster to have to run a couple extra pixels for the frames gained. Looking back there may be a few situations where frames could be saved if I had jumped off of platforms instead of running off. Maximum x-velocity is achieved both during all frames in the air and when you have achieved full speed at running so if the goal is moving right then either running off or jumping off are equal speed. The situations where time could be saved are where the goal is to get to the bottom of the screen faster or if forward momentum has to be halted due to walls or other obstacles. There are not many situations where it has a chance to and it wouldn't save more than 2 frames on the jumps, so I am not sure if it is worth fixing all of the desynchs that would result. I would like to hear your opinion about what you think I should do here. I actually do start walking a bit before the electric walls so speed is actually taken care of. Most of the startup acceleration time is going from the 0 x-speed to actual movement so unless I did something wrong I believe they are currently optimized.
Did someone wrote "frame war"? because I totally read frame war. Anyway, yes vote.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Thanks for the encode, ThatGugaWhoPlay!
Zavalix wrote:
Did someone wrote "frame war"? because I totally read frame war.
No one said it, but that's what it looks like to me. I was entertained throughout the run. The pace of the platforming is about the same as my first run (a GBC game). Voting Yes.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
DarkKobold wrote:
This may catch the attention of a certain TAS God....
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
This looks quite a bit better, especially the boss fights. The landing delays get a little annoying, but it looks like you did a pretty good job with them. I found one small optimization concern, though: when you navigate past the electric barriers, you walk your way mostly into a barrier while you wait for it to disappear. It seems like it should be faster to wait a little farther away, and you start walking before the barrier disappears. That way, by the time the barrier disappears, you've already accelerated to your max walking speed (instead of doing what you're doing now, which is starting from rest). Regardless, this is good enough for a Yes vote on a first run of the game.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
Publication underway. Feos, are you still encoding this, or can I take it? It really won't waste any time for me to do it if I'm doing the others.
All the best, Brandon Evans
I can do it now. How much time I have? Encoding... EDIT: Pray for me not to get desync on YT.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
feos wrote:
I can do it now. How much time I have? Encoding...
Just try to get it done / tell us you've given up in the next day or two. As long as I know where you're at, we're good.
Desynced T_T
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
I'll do them all then.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1971] NES The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles by goofydylan8 in 11:12.16
XTREMAL93
He/Him
Active player (388)
AnS wrote:
go and beat this record! ;)
XTREMAL93 wrote:
Maybe in future)
I did it ;) http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20630