(Link to video)
  • Genre: Platform
  • Emulator: FCEUX 2.1.5 with TAS Editor
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time

Baxter: Positive audience response; accepting.

natt: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3480: XTREMAL93's NES Toki in 10:31.53
Patryk1023
He/Him
Lol double topic. Delete the one entry.
<Nach> scrimpy is fretty with her sunglasses on I'm here. never visible.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Compared to the Genesis version, this felt faster and smoother in many ways. I liked it. Voting Yes.
Experienced player (508)
Where did you come up with that rerecord count? It seems really high and if you used fceux 2.1.5 with TAS Editor as you said it would have returned a rerecord count of 0. Also this run looks pretty good overall. I tried to run this before and it was frustrating so I gave up so good work making it through.
XTREMAL93
He/Him
Active player (388)
goofydylan8 wrote:
Where did you come up with that rerecord count? It seems really high and if you used fceux 2.1.5 with TAS Editor as you said it would have returned a rerecord count of 0. Also this run looks pretty good overall. I tried to run this before and it was frustrating so I gave up so good work making it through.
First I played without tas editor and tried all ways to save time, then optimized it with TAS Editor
Experienced player (508)
XTREMAL93 wrote:
First I played without tas editor and tried all ways to save time, then optimized it with TAS Editor
So did you enhance the rerecord count? I am just making sure because I don't want the statistics to be screwed up and almost 60 rerecords per second for a run like this seems extremely large. Also if I didn't make it clear in my last post I voted yes.
Post subject: Genesis game?
This looks like a direct port, but on the Genesis version it has the copyright "TAD Corporation" written on it. What?
Yes vote. I didn't know there was a version of this game for NES. I first played this game on Arcade and lurking on the Sega Genesis Thread i found that there's a version for it as well, but this seems the fastest version for a TAS given the differences between this one and the Arcade, where you die with just one hit and can't jump over lots of obstacles that you can on NES.
Active player (372)
Sometimes you collect all the end-of-level bonuses at once, and sometimes you collect them one at at time. Why don't you always collect them with one jump?
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
c-square: I think that some boss fights have lower floors than others. In the ones with low floors, Toki can't jump high enough to get all the bonuses. Anyway, this looks pretty good! There wasn't much I could notice that seemed unoptimal, given that Toki can't adjust his jump height. This run is about 30 seconds faster than an old submission for this game by Neofix, so that's a good sign! I liked how the game has music that's just about as good as the Genesis version, but the character moves faster. The stage design was fairly interesting, and the bosses were well-fought. I vote Yes to publish this, but I don't think it should obsolete the Genesis movie. Since your character can take damage in this game, that makes the run less impressive. In the Genesis run, you have blatant collision abuse with enemies, which is less obviously present in this run. While I think this version of the game is generally more interesting, the Genesis run is interesting in a very distinct way.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
XTREMAL93
He/Him
Active player (388)
c-square wrote:
Sometimes you collect all the end-of-level bonuses at once, and sometimes you collect them one at at time. Why don't you always collect them with one jump?
As said mklip2001 some boss fights have lower floors than others. In the ones with low floors, Toki can't jump high enough to get all the bonuses. Or bonuses appear higher than in other levels
Active player (372)
XTREMAL93 wrote:
c-square wrote:
As said mklip2001 some boss fights have lower floors than others. In the ones with low floors, Toki can't jump high enough to get all the bonuses. Or bonuses appear higher than in other levels
Thanks! Looks good then. Yes vote from me. :)
Post subject: Re: Genesis game?
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
GuidMorrow wrote:
This looks like a direct port, but on the Genesis version it has the copyright "TAD Corporation" written on it. What?
LOL @ misuse of wiki tags.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Guga
He/Him
Here is the HD encode: Link to video
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Thanks for the HD encode, ThatGugaWhoPlay. Really good run, XTREMAL93! I found it consistently entertaining. Great job finding a good game to TAS! Yes vote.
XTREMAL93
He/Him
Active player (388)
ThatGugaWhoPlay, thanks!
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
archive.org collection http://www.archive.org/details/NesTokiusaIn1031.53ByXtremal93 normal http://www.archive.org/download/NesTokiusaIn1031.53ByXtremal93/toki-tas-xtremal93.mkv 10bit444 http://www.archive.org/download/NesTokiusaIn1031.53ByXtremal93/toki-tas-xtremal93_10bit444.mkv fceux 2.1.5 "old ppu"
  File: Toki (U).nes
CRC-32: 5bd50be6
   MD4: e679b2212a1bd3651bb4eb9e980fe6cd
   MD5: 9a47af43ca5e8a6a11e58726f05ee5e8
 SHA-1: aaca3416696b8bfe96fdd53f7c652aef5e10b211
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [1994] NES Toki by XTREMAL93 in 10:31.53