Hey all, here's my improved (12 seconds faster than v1) timeattack for this semi-famous NES game, using FCE Ultra. This is known as one of the shortest games for this system, and I believe that this would be the third-shortest full-game completion of an NES game on this site if it is accepted (only Friday the 13th and Atlantis no Nazo would beat this, and the latter uses warps).
Anyway, it's actually kind of tough to keep moving forward as much as I do in the movie due to the game's horrible controls and randomness.
The "C" items are Crane Kicks, which is the highly damaging kick you see me use in the movie. The "D" items are Drum Punches, which of course I never get to use.
When fighting bosses, you cannot afford to knock them off-screen (or into the water, in the case of the last boss) or else they will regain all of their life. This is why it looks like I fight them a little slowly...I am keeping this from happening. This is also why I don't use all of my crane kicks in the karate tournament; the enemies there cannot be knocked off-screen, so you can beat them much more quickly. Hence, it saves more time to use crane kicks on other bosses.
There are a few other times when I appear to make suboptimal movements. These serve one of two purposes:
1. Manipulate randomness to improve overall time.
2. Avoid bonus stages. There are hidden bonus levels scattered all around, and the crane kicks and drum punches they give you nowhere near make up for the amount of time they waste.
That's about it. Personally, I say this movie is worthy if Kung Fu is, but you all are the judges of that...
-Aims for fastest possible time -Takes damage to save time -Uses no warps or passwords (there are none)
That's all, Josh.

Phil: Checking ...
Phil: I don't like this game but since it is requested, I will publish it.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #367: Josh the FunkDOC's NES Karate Kid in 03:23.18
Former player
I think this movie should be accepted. You make quick work of this game, and there isn't any mistakes that I can see or really any times that you stopped moving forward. As for the slow boss fights; they didn't seem slow to me.
definitely worthy...voted yes...
i have 1 question for you. you say you take damage to save time yet when you do get hit your health does'nt go down at all. what causes this?
I also liked this submission, voted yes because it is a lot like Kung Fu, and at its short length fun to watch. Keep them coming.
Former player
Dark Mana: When you are overlapping an enemy, and you try to punch or kick them, you are knocked backwards. This causes no damage. For an example of when I do take damage, look at the beginning of level 3 when I run under a bird and am hit by it. -Josh
but then you take my 75 perchance chance of winning, if we was to go one-on-one, and then add 66 and two-thirds ch...percents...i got a 141 and two-thirds chance of winning at sacrifice
ahh ok then. thank you for clearing that up. i'll vote yes on this now as its rather well played. good work
Former player
Most certainly yes, and I love that you've mixed up your improvement to include a couple of punches on top of your kicks. It makes me laugh, as anyone who's ever played this game knows how impossible the third level is live. I do have a couple of questions though: 1) You do a little shake and bake move on level 2. Intentional? It seems to take a second. 2) You get bounced backwards once on level 4. Can this be prevented? I know these are ridiculous nitpickings of an almost flawless video, but I was curious.
Former player
-ziplock- wrote:
1) You do a little shake and bake move on level 2. Intentional? It seems to take a second. 2) You get bounced backwards once on level 4. Can this be prevented?
1. This is to make the enemy move toward me so I can jumpkick him and avoid the bonus stage that's right ahead. 2. Nope, no matter what you do you are going to either get hit or knocked back (just waiting wastes too much time). I chose to get knocked back since it doesn't cause damage and thus looks more professional. And that isn't ridiculous nitpicking on your part...I wholeheartedly welcome that level of scrutiny as it encourages perfection. In agreeance that level 3 is utterly ridiculous, Josh.
but then you take my 75 perchance chance of winning, if we was to go one-on-one, and then add 66 and two-thirds ch...percents...i got a 141 and two-thirds chance of winning at sacrifice
Editor, Active player (296)
It looks like the screen scrolls faster when you jump. Are you sure it wouldn't be faster if you jumped all the time?
Former player
Bisqwit wrote:
It looks like the screen scrolls faster when you jump. Are you sure it wouldn't be faster if you jumped all the time?
Ah, I was wondering when someone would ask about this... I have checked, and jumping is the exact same speed as walking IF you remain on level ground the whole time. The reason is that you move extremely slowly during the descent of your jump. Thus, if you jump to a higher spot, jumping is faster because the descent isn't as long. And jumping to a lower place is slower than walking and dropping down to it. I believe I have made the best possible use of these properties in the movie. -Josh
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [217] NES The Karate Kid by Josh the FunkDOC in 03:23.18
Active player (456)
"An artist who can’t take constructive critique on their work is only hurting themselves and their potential. Conversely, and artist that can’t communicate a critique in a constructive way isn’t helping anybody."