Submission Text Full Submission Page
Gargoyle's Quest II is a sequel to the Gameboy game Gargoyle's Quest both of which exist within the Ghost n' Goblins universe. In this game you play as a gargoyle named Firebrand and you must try to save to land from the "dark light."

Game objectives

• Emulator used: fceux 2.1.6 with TAS Editor
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Takes no damage

Comments

In this run you have two different gameplay elements, the LoZ style overworld and the platformer in level sections. The overworld section is trivial to TAS as there is no lag, no random encounters and movement exists on a grid so you can only change course along lines causing optimization to be extremely simple.
The platformer section is a different beast entirely. I am almost guaranteed the reason why this game has not had a submitted run is that without TAS Editor no one would have to will to finish due to lag. In the levels there is a ridiculous amount of lag that is entirely unavoidable and quite random. It appears to be dependent on the frame you enter the level, the frame the enemies (or any item that can move for that matter) enter the screen, the items that you use, whether or not your character is moving, etc. etc. This large amount of random lag causes optimization to become extremely painful as if you change any movement at all the rest of the run will desync. It is also seemingly random as sometimes killing an enemy removes the lag and saves time, but other times the process of firing creates far more lag and then other completely unexplained lag persists so it becomes slower.
In the platforming sections there are a few possibilities of movement. You can walk which happens at a constant 1 pixel per frame, you can jump which randomly alternates between 1 pixel and 0 pixels per frame, and after you have jumped you can "fly" or glide for a certain length of time which is also at a constant 1 pixel per frame. Early on in the game your jumping ability is quite poor so there has to be trial and error to decide if in certain situations 3 small wall jumps or 1 large jump would be quicker. As the game progresses your jumping and flying abilities increase greatly so the 1 large jump becomes increasingly more effective.
The weapons in the game increase in strength by two for each one you receive but for the most part the enemies follow suit and essentially only take one hit to kill. A problem with the weapons is that while the "claw" that lets you land on spikes and the fire attack at the end are the strongest moves, you have to use the buster move to break the blocks so you have to at times switch out weapons. Another strategy that must be looked into is that debate between the "claw" and the tornado moves in moving vertically in levels. It depends on the height you must traverse, the shape of the walls and the area between the walls to determine if the tornado or the claw are more effective and thus why I alternate which I use. The final factor to take note of is that all of the weapons except for the final fire attack allow for two shots to exist on screen at a time. This leads to a few other lower level attacks potentially being more effective in boss fights where multiple hits are required. The problem is that, like on the boulders that require the buster attack, the final boss only takes damage if the final fire attack is used so while it theoretically would be faster to use a lower tier weapon, in practice they coded him so it does not work.

Other comments

Overall I hope that you enjoy the run. The dialog runs at a readable pace (and is in my opinion entertaining) and I tried to optimize and make the movie entertaining without sacrificing time.

Cancelled

Due to improvements I was informed of in the comments and a large amount of free time in my near future I am restarting this run. Please look here for updates on the improvement or wait a week and vote yes then!

Nach: Judging.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
where to get 2.1.6?
Post subject: Re: 2.1.6?
Experienced player (508)
antd wrote:
where to get 2.1.6?
To my knowledge it is going to be released in about a week or so. This is a link to their source forge page though if you want to compile it yourself. I haven't tried but I would think it would sync fine with 2.1.5 old ppu.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
Syncs on 2.1.5 "Old PPU"
  File: Gargoyle's Quest II - The Demon Darkness (U).nes
CRC-32: da7a9f89
   MD4: c1678e78803e9b7a9b132d8ecc0a875c
   MD5: 8ea7a1b1552d55b42163c27a7efc0800
 SHA-1: 2380b3439b2f1ea98d63db99758671fa8faf601c
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
http://code.google.com/p/feos-tas/downloads/detail?name=fceux-r2411.7z On movie: no action, totally boring. Meh vote.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
ah, i just used 2.1.5. goofydylan8, do you mind if i quote your 'comments' so i can post the information to my blog?
Post subject: gargoyle's quest 2: youtube
Post subject: Re: details
Experienced player (508)
antd wrote:
ah, i just used 2.1.5. goofydylan8, do you mind if i quote your 'comments' so i can post the information to my blog?
That's fine. If you want a slightly more legitimate quote you could look for one who is actually on the fceux team because I am not actually connected, I just am a user. Also thanks for the encode.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
This is probably one of my favorite NES games to casually play. I tried speedrunning it myself on console with fairly bad results. If I ever got the chance to actually learn to TAS, I would want to run this game. Needless to say, I'm thrilled that you made this run, goofydylan8! However, I can't watch it until I'm home from work. I'll add comments later. By the way, could you provide some details about how to maximize the horizontal distance you get from flying with limited wing power? I could never really figure out if it made more sense to keep starting and stopping flight or just to fly in one continuous motion. (This is important for the big gap you have to cross on the way to Desert Sittem.)
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
I'm not convinced that the movement is fully optimized here -- for example, when returning from the desert you fly over a platform that you could have walked on, which implies that you jumped a bit high, which in turn means you were using the slower horizontal speed of jumping rather than the faster speed of walking/hovering. Similarly when backtracking across the broken bridge shortly thereafter -- it seems like it would be preferable to land on some of the moving platforms rather than jump so high. But I can believe that optimizing movement for this game would be a royal pain and I don't think it's worth going back to change these areas. Other thoughts: it doesn't seem like it takes very long to switch weapons. It might have been worth using the tornado in the cave after getting the Candle of Lethe -- you have to go out of your way to get to a ledge to jump up from when you could have just made a platform. I enjoyed watching it, though I'm familiar with the game. It's almost a point-for-point remake of the Gameboy version though. Also kinda weird how the ghouls are deathly allergic to UV. Oh well. Nice work! mklip: I would assume that rapidly toggling flight would get you more distance than just holding it, but that assumption relies on: * starting hovering immediately stops your vertical velocity and immediately starts you on "flying" horizontal speed (per goofydylan, 1px/frame). * starting/stopping hovering doesn't cost any extra from your flight meter The reasoning behind this is simply that gravity accelerates you downwards, which means that you can "glide" for a bit after stopping hovering. This gets you decent horizontal distance coverage without sacrificing too much vertical distance. If you use all of your flight meter at once and then fall for the remainder then you have a much worse glide ratio (horizontal distance : vertical distance). Thus your best option (for maximizing distance) would be to toggle flight on and off as fast as possible such that you are just barely above your destination when you reach it.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Experienced player (508)
mklip2001 wrote:
By the way, could you provide some details about how to maximize the horizontal distance you get from flying with limited wing power? I could never really figure out if it made more sense to keep starting and stopping flight or just to fly in one continuous motion. (This is important for the big gap you have to cross on the way to Desert Sittem.)
The biggest key is actually to just put off flight for the last possible moment. Falling after you have used the wings at all causes gravity to work more powerful on you, so if you were to turn on the wings and fly straight the frame after you started falling from a jump and then did the same thing but waited 5 or so extra frames you would be able to make it further. Whether or not you alternate on-off the wings actually does not have any effect on the distance you travel so the only control you have over it is how high you jump initially and how long after hitting the peak height do you decide to start flying. Also I have to admit that the way that I discovered this game was through your signature so you actually were the inspiration for the run so I hope you enjoy.
Derakon wrote:
I'm not convinced that the movement is fully optimized here -- for example, when returning from the desert you fly over a platform that you could have walked on, which implies that you jumped a bit high, which in turn means you were using the slower horizontal speed of jumping rather than the faster speed of walking/hovering. Similarly when backtracking across the broken bridge shortly thereafter -- it seems like it would be preferable to land on some of the moving platforms rather than jump so high. But I can believe that optimizing movement for this game would be a royal pain and I don't think it's worth going back to change these areas.
I am not sure what effect jumping over the platform there did. It couldn't have added more than a frame but you may be correct. I tried to test every jump so there is a slight chance that it didn't lose any time as it was one of the frames where x-movement occured at the same time as y. On the return across the broken bridge I know jumping so high over the platforms was faster. This is due to the large amount of lag that occurs when moving items are present on screen. In that case it became apparent that jumping way higher got the moving platforms out of frame and reduced a lot of lag.
Derakon wrote:
Other thoughts: it doesn't seem like it takes very long to switch weapons. It might have been worth using the tornado in the cave after getting the Candle of Lethe -- you have to go out of your way to get to a ledge to jump up from when you could have just made a platform. I enjoyed watching it, though I'm familiar with the game. It's almost a point-for-point remake of the Gameboy version though. Also kinda weird how the ghouls are deathly allergic to UV. Oh well. Nice work!
It only takes 3 frames to switch weapons so not a very long time at all (4 if you have to use A on the first frame back). You are probably correct on this aspect. I am glad you enjoyed it. And hey, sunburns are uncomfortable. I am sure that would be a mild nuisance to go through.
I had to vote Meh. While you can visibly see the execution is bang on for a TAS, it's incredibly slow and plodding... quite honestly bored me after 5 minutes. Just not my cup of tea to be honest. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
I actually really enjoyed it. I was a bit slow paced at times, but it held my interest. Yes vote.
Has never colored a dinosaur.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Alright, I finally watched this. I'm glad I was able to inspire this run. (In fact, I removed mention of the run from my sig because it got done!) However, I'm not yet sure what to vote. First of all, there are definitely some very nice parts:
  • Not taking damage is very tricky to do in this game, given how the enemy layout tends to require tricky movements. Some boss fights look especially good, such as King Breager and Goza. I also liked the dual creature fight in Mt. Imaus.
  • You jumped off of spikes sometimes (a couple times in Mt. Imaus by the pillars, and once in the last stage). That was cool.
  • Fighting bosses right in front of their faces is impressive, given that Firebrand moves too slowly to do effective dodging in many cases.
Things that I'm not really sure with:
  • By avoiding damage, you noticeably slow down in the forest stage to dodge obstacles. I probably would've taken damage to boost through, but you're welcome to your stylistic choice.
  • With the Mt. Imaus boss, I'm curious whether it would be faster to get in one creature's face first and fire very quickly. The other can then be made to fly at you and be close up for more shots.
And now, the parts that I'm pretty sure can be done better:
  • As Derakon mentions, Tornado is pretty under-utilized. It would definitely make the big vertical shaft in Mt. Imaus faster (you just ride a levitating platform during that part), and I'm pretty sure it would speed up Naga's Path at the end.
  • I've gotten Doppleganger to stay his true self two turns in a row and avoid firing a fireball. That would speed up that fight tremendously.
  • Can the Desert Sittem boss be manipulated to avoid creating the little mini-things? I'm pretty sure he's invincible for less time when he does his dash.
  • When rising up big shafts with Tornado or Claw, you tend to use a maximum-height jump and zip up to the top of the platform you created. Since you decelerate to a slow speed at the top, wouldn't it be faster to make more shorter jumps?
In any case, you've taken a fairly clunky game and made it look pretty good. I'm not sure if it's improvable enough to vote Meh at this point. I will say, though, that if you attempt an improvement of any of this, I'd be thrilled to offer support and observations (I didn't know you were making this run until today... :-( ).
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Experienced player (508)
mklip2001 wrote:
In any case, you've taken a fairly clunky game and made it look pretty good. I'm not sure if it's improvable enough to vote Meh at this point. I will say, though, that if you attempt an improvement of any of this, I'd be thrilled to offer support and observations (I didn't know you were making this run until today... :-( ).
I am going to start over due to your and a few other complaints. It is sort of a miserable game to go through but it seems like I made enough mistakes that it could potentially be a noticeable improvement and due to the clunkiness no one else would probably make one for a while so I don't want a long-term improvable movie on the site. Plus my spring break started today and I do not have the funds to do fun things this week so I will probably be back within a week or two. And I did post 3 WIP here. I would be extremely pleased if you would comment on them if I posted WIP's. If you have any other suggestions please post them in that thread. Hopefully those of you who voted yes will feel the same in a week and those who voted Meh will be more pleased then.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... 'twas dry
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Sure, I'll help out your new run! I definitely think the new run will be at least good enough to be published with a couple strategy changes. Further posts for now will go in the thread you linked.