Submission Text Full Submission Page
(Nico Nico movies has Japanese description in greater detail.)
Emulator used: Dolphin 3.0-378 (more-save-fixes)

Game objectives

Scenario "A New Journey" ending. Takes no damage Only uses necessary parts. Runs away from all battles when possible.

Emulator details

• Dual core off
  • Idle skipping off
  • Progressive scan on
  • DSP LLE recompiler

Comments

I aim for the "A New Journey" ending. In battle, I try various things to defeat the enemy. Obtaining parts takes long, and the tempo is bad, so it is only done once.

Explanation of parts

• GUN
The first basic gun has so-so firepower. But I change for the vertical gun obtained much later, since it is better. Its firepower falls behind that of the basic gun, but its homing and DOWN (decrease enemy's endurance meter) power is higher, so the number of times firing is less.
  • BODY
RAY01 has better attack in general, and has very efficient strength. In the "A New Journey" scenario, other BODY parts cannot be used.
  • BOMB
Standard Bomb has high power. It is suitable for doing lots of damage. I could not think of any other suitable parts.
  • POD
Standard Pod is similar to the bomb, easy to use.
  • LEGS
Standard Leg was a little inefficient. When able to, it is better to switch to Phaser Leg.

General Tricks and Glitches

Countdown control: The cube's number can be manipulated to an extent. By mashing A or B, or possibly holding them, the counting speed can be manipulated. To decide the first number, by pressing start button in battle setup, it is decided when the battle starts.
Boss transition: When start is pressed in battle, by the timing of the cancel, the enemy's behavior is transformed in a big way.
Double hit bug: In some cases, at least 2 kinds of attack can hit at the same time. It is possible, while avoiding decrease of damage (depending on combo), the value at which the endurance meter decreases is unusual. Originally, it is possible to avoid the endurance meter becoming 0.
Bomb attack: By using the double hit bug, which is easy to do, the technique does lots of damage. In RAY01's body type, after firing bombs, if the attack is timed well, they can hit at the same time.
No-damage hit: If hit at the time it says "KO", even though damage is 0 a hit is indicated. This is often seen in this run. If damage occurs, it is not counted.

FractalFusion: Replaced the movie file with one that hopefully fixes the savestate bug. However, it is not known if it syncs yet, or what changes.
Nahoc: Judging!
FractalFusion: Some information about ISO version from Guga in this post. It is unclear what the last line means.
Name: wrg-crob.iso
CRC-32: 4df76b35
MD4: ee00f93406dfda6bd5e7e86acac04073
MD5: 6c74f607554a4d991e0a783b14d8b232
SHA-1: 5bc6196df3cee9410f07777d6bbc7593f5ad1948
The movie only syncs in the version listed in the submission text.
Nahoc: This is a tough call for me.
On one hand, I am thinking this:
"Despite the amount of efforts you put into this and votes in favor of publishing this movie, I feel the need to reject it. Being labeled as a "playaround", this TAS fails to entertain for its lenght. It is repetitive and doesn't feel like a superplay in many levels. It seems like you first went for an any%, but decided to switch your goals halfway in. You could've switched parts, used more various attacks, wandered around in a funny way while controlling the human character, played around in the credits, etc.
Don't get me wrong though; I think that this game might be a good candidate for a "playaround". Just not this particular TAS. Maybe, as mentionned in the thread, other game modes could suit a tool-assisted superplay better."
On the other hand, I am thinking this:
"People who've played the game have pointed out how godly you manipulated the AI and that you made this game look easy (but it's supposedly not!). This TAS also received a great feedback on niconico. This would also be our first GC movie to be published on the site. The 4-player battles are action-packed and mind-blowing. Gladly accepting!!"
In the end, I finally decided to reject this. It's just not enough to be a playaround. Hopefully, I can still expect an update (v2) from you, asutoro. Thanks for submitting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
俺ははいを投票しました。asutoroさん、良い仕事! Voted yes, good job!
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
I remember this game; it was pretty fun. Hope someone encodes this soon (It will not be me).
All the best, Brandon Evans
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Thanks for posting those links, rog! I'll have time to watch this on YouTube tomorrow, but it's always exciting to see a GameCube submission in the Workbench.
haaaaaaaaaa this game has some of the worst costume designs ive ever seen tas was well done though
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
yes vote 2 reasons interesting game & fast
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Skilled player (1705)
DTM file starts from a savestate
I thought movies like this needed a verification input file or something. Or was that rule abolished?
Former player
jlun2 wrote:
DTM file starts from a savestate
I thought movies like this needed a verification input file or something. Or was that rule abolished?
A Save file and savestate of this DTM file are unnecessary. The part was not found although I tried correction of a DTM file. このDTM fileはSaveファイルもsavestateも必要ありません。 私はDTMファイルの修正を試みましたが、その箇所が見当たりませんでした。
Operation related to TAS of N64/GC/Wii/PS2 emulator is often investigated.
How does Dolphin start a new recording from a savestate anyway? Also, if the run doesn't depend on a savestate, then someone should be able to fix it for you.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I can try to fix it. But only if I am able to check the run in emulator first. http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/wiki/TAS_Tasks appears to be the only DTM documentation. The savestate bit is in byte 0x0C.
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
CoolKirby wrote:
How does Dolphin start a new recording from a savestate anyway?
Start the game without recording, and then while playing start recording. It will make a save state and start recording. It won't actually work as far as i've been able to find with the original save state, but if you make a new save state manually right after you start recording, you can then start playback from that.
Former player
Good job. Now all you have to do is ask a judge or admin to replace the submission dtm for you, and he (or she?) will gladly do it.
I'd like to first say that this is one of my favorite games ever and I'm really glad someone TASed it. ...but to be honest, this could have been so much better. This is basically a fighting game, so it should be judged like one - it's a playaround, which is a step in the right direction, but this is the equivalent of TASing a fighting game with hundreds of characters and no penalty for switching, but then only using one character for the entire game! Really good gameplay, but about a third of the way through I got bored since every battle has the exact same strategy. If you do another TAS of this (or do the second story mode), the 5-second animation for getting new parts and switching them out is a very small price to pay for the amount of variety it would add. One thing I noticed is that in the submission comments it says you can use only RAY01 in this mode, but unless I'm remembering wrong, that's false. Is it a version difference? If it is, then that would be a reason to play it on the English version instead. (I don't consider the text to be too much of a problem since it speeds by so quickly. You're not going to understand the story either way.) And two more comments: the final boss battle was perfect, and the main character wears an epic scarf. Why didn't he have that in the English version?
Designer of Copy Kitty, a game about giant robots and explosions
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
AzureLazuline wrote:
One thing I noticed is that in the submission comments it says you can use only RAY01 in this mode, but unless I'm remembering wrong, that's false. Is it a version difference?
Sorry, I translated from asutoro's post so it might be a mistranslation. The line might be better translated as "In the 'A New Journey' mode, the other parts are not ready to be used". But I am not a Custom Robo expert.
Former player
AzureLazuline wrote:
I'd like to first say that this is one of my favorite games ever and I'm really glad someone TASed it. ...but to be honest, this could have been so much better. This is basically a fighting game, so it should be judged like one - it's a playaround, which is a step in the right direction, but this is the equivalent of TASing a fighting game with hundreds of characters and no penalty for switching, but then only using one character for the entire game! Really good gameplay, but about a third of the way through I got bored since every battle has the exact same strategy. If you do another TAS of this (or do the second story mode), the 5-second animation for getting new parts and switching them out is a very small price to pay for the amount of variety it would add. One thing I noticed is that in the submission comments it says you can use only RAY01 in this mode, but unless I'm remembering wrong, that's false. Is it a version difference? If it is, then that would be a reason to play it on the English version instead. (I don't consider the text to be too much of a problem since it speeds by so quickly. You're not going to understand the story either way.) And two more comments: the final boss battle was perfect, and the main character wears an epic scarf. Why didn't he have that in the English version?
There is no difference between the English and Japanese versions. Although, a few days ago, TASVideos changed the rule about [url= http://tasvideos.org/MovieRules.html#JVsU]J vs. U[/url]. About battle, I only used the same strategy. If I do not use this strategy, it is not different from a normal play. Just firing bombs and guns, then it was not enjoyable to me. Also, a reason is to speed up the end of battle. Even if there is another mode, doing it will be the same. It's considered to be no major difference. And then, since there is no ending, that is another reason. 英語版と日本語版の差はありません。しかし、数日前にTASVideoではルールが改善されています。 戦闘についてですが、全体を通してほとんど同じ戦法を使っています。 もし、この戦法を使わないのであれば、通常プレイと何も変わりません。 ただ未来予知しただけのボムやガンを撃っているだけでは、私としては面白みは感じられませんでした。 また、戦闘を終わらせるテンポを速くしたいという理由もあります。 もう一つのモードでもやることは同じになるでしょう。大差が無いと思われます。 そして、エンディングが無いというのも一つの理由として考えました。
Player (208)
I liked the run. I'm a bit unclear on the goals. "Takes no damage" was clear. Was this actually a playaround, or just a bit of variation periodically? I'd hate to see this rejected, but I also feel like the gameplay is halfway between a speedrun and a playaround. I'm abstaining from voting.
I haven't played this game, and I don't completely understand what's going on in this run. Could you explain a little more about what happens in each part of the run? I haven't finished watching the encode, but I like the battles so far.
Former player
CoolKirby wrote:
I haven't played this game, and I don't completely understand what's going on in this run. Could you explain a little more about what happens in each part of the run? I haven't finished watching the encode, but I like the battles so far.
This movie is very difficult to play with no tool-assistance. The timing of the "simultaneous hits of bomb and attack" is so severe that they may be dodged or you may get hit from explosion. The "Double hit" bug can be done only during one or two frames; it's even impossible in some situations. In 2on2, or in 3on1 of the last boss, it's nearly impossible to end the battle with every character getting no hits. It's quite arduous to reproduce on a real console, that is without tool-assistance. このプレイは人間の手ではとても厳しい行為です。 ボムとアタックの同時当ては、少しでもタイミングを誤ると、 避けられたり、片方しか当たってなかったり、爆風に巻き込まれる可能性があります。 ダブルヒットバグは1フレームor2フレームの瞬間しかありません。また、状況によってはできません。 そして、2on2やラストボスの3on1では全員がノーダメージでクリアすることはほぼ不可能に近いです。 実機で再現するにはとても難しいです。
I think you missed Kirkq's question, and since I was wondering about it too, I'll echo it here: Why is this a playaround instead of a speedrun? Also, the battles were the most interesting part of the run. I liked that you and your friends took no damage for the entire run. However, the battle strategies got repetitive, and I was wondering...could anything have been done to make each battle different so the run would be more entertaining?
Player (172)
CoolKirby wrote:
I think you missed Kirkq's question, and since I was wondering about it too, I'll echo it here: Why is this a playaround instead of a speedrun? Also, the battles were the most interesting part of the run. I liked that you and your friends took no damage for the entire run. However, the battle strategies got repetitive, and I was wondering...could anything have been done to make each battle different so the run would be more entertaining?
Here is a quick translation for the convenience: Kirkqの質問(私もこの点が気になっていたのですが)をスルーしているようなので、再掲しておきます。なぜ speedrun ではなく playaround なのでしょう? また、戦闘部分がこのTASにおける見せ場となっていると思います。全体を通してノーダメージだというところは気に入っているのですが、戦闘における戦術がただの繰り返しになっているように見えます。何か他の要素によって各戦闘にもう少しバリエーションを加えることで、全体をより面白くすることはできなかったのでしょうか?
Retired because of that deletion event. Projects (WIP RIP): VIP3 all-exits "almost capeless yoshiless", VIP2 all-exits, TSRP2 "normal run"
Thank you Mister. This should help him answer my questions.
Patryk1023
He/Him
asutoro, as you submitted this movie here, put the link to submission on both your movies. Also, gonna look at encodes right now... asutoroは、ここでこの映画を提出したように、ムービーの両方で提出へのリンクを置く。また、見つもりには今エンコードします... (google translated)
<Nach> scrimpy is fretty with her sunglasses on I'm here. never visible.
Patryk1023 wrote:
asutoro, as you submitted this movie here, put the link to submission on both your movies. Also, gonna look at encodes right now... asutoroは、ここでこの映画を提出したように、ムービーの両方で提出へのリンクを置く。また、見つもりには今エンコードします... (google translated)
Patryk1023, it's probably a bad idea to use Google Translate in this case. The way you wrote those sentences may not form an intelligible sentence when "translated" to Japanese. (To see what I mean, try writing something in English and Google "Translating" it into Polish. You probably won't even be able to tell what the translated sentence is saying.) The best way to translate your sentence would be to have someone like Mister translate it word-for-word for you.