Submission Text Full Submission Page
Mario has work a lot, and have earn so money that he can't take any piece now. Just kidding it is just a run with no piece taken, for the fun! I've first have the idea of this because it's the only way to finish mario that I have never seen before. So I've think that it could be maked.

DarkKobold: Judging.

DarkKobold: Hi and welcome to TASvideos.org. Your run is not really up to our standards. You do not use all the known tricks. Additionally, Super Mario Bros. is rather played out, and pretty much every doable category has been done. I'd suggest choosing a different game if you plan to submit in the future. To prevent this category from being submitted again, I'm rejecting on goal choice.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3507: mat1er's NES Super Mario Bros. "no coins" in 05:30.21
YoungJ1997lol
He/Him
Player (53)
no way, kid. coinless runs are almost 50/50 chance of rejection here. no offense, but the best thing for you is to work alittle more.
So yea, how's it going? Currently TASing: Nothing
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
Voted no. I liked what you did in 8-1, but otherwise this is nearly identical to the normal run. It doesn't even seem to be too well optimized either.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
no way, kid
You really shouldn't call everyone who is not as good at TASing as you a "kid". The author is just learning to TAS, so there's no reason for you to discourage him or her. Besides, you have no way of knowing whether the author is a kid or not. It's possible he or she just can't speak English well or is mentally handicapped, and it wouldn't be right to discourage him or her in those situations either.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
no way, kid.
no offense
Yeah, right.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Skilled player (1637)
I'd like to remind everyone to comment on the run, and be civil. We don't need 5 pages of mini-modding.
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
at least it's faster than the published movie. By that, I mean the game's played faster than it should be (at least the music is way faster than it should be). Maybe some Europe/USA change shenanigans, I guess? About the TAS iself: I can see some potential, but it's a long way from publishing something yet. Well known time saving tricks already used in SMB TASes are not present here (like the trick where you don't lower the flag), at least in one occasion you slow down for no reason. But, ultimately, the goal is not worth it. This is not a Sonic game where you can find 150+ rings per stage, there's just a few coins in your way.
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
I'm curious as to why the E version was used, instead of the U version.
Dwedit
He/Him
Let's see... Wrong region, and simply does not complete the game quickly. Goes down the flagpoles. So many things wrong here. 9 days too early here.
Brandon
He/Him
Editor, Player (190)
Wrong ROM, bad goal, suboptimal in many places. Voting no.
All the best, Brandon Evans
Experienced player (576)
No from me as well from having many suboptimal moments like not skipping flagpoles, not going through the wall in 1-2, etc. Keep trying though :)
Patryk1023
He/Him
1. European version 2. No timesaving trick and glitches 3. No vote.
<Nach> scrimpy is fretty with her sunglasses on I'm here. never visible.
Banned User, Former player
Would it make sense to make the inverse run of this? In other words, a run that collects all coins as fast as possible?
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Warp wrote:
Would it make sense to make the inverse run of this? In other words, a run that collects all coins as fast as possible?
That reminds me of this TAS which was rejected only a couple days ago (although that was due to other reasons) I think a max coin TAS could be interesting though. More interesting than "lowest score" at least.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Is it 1st of April yet? Just kidding. Well, I think the goal is a bad idea: it's not very funny nor is it technically hard (yet I loved what you did in 8-1, that's the way to go). I love playarounds, but this one is just not fun enough, yet I can't underline enough that you at least were trying. I have to vote no on this one, but please try again, maybe another goal, maybe another game, you're going the right way. And yes, as many have stated already, you didn't use the good version of the game (yet this can be open to debate, but please not here :D ) and didn't optimize it enough compared to other published movies.
Skilled player (1670)
Thunderbird wrote:
I'm curious as to why the E version was used, instead of the U version.
Seconded.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Good work but this isn't really optimal, I liked the concept of no coin and I really liked 8-1 but if you want a Mario run to be accept, you should: -use the good rom -learn about more of the mario glitches: -You didn't do none of the flagpole glitches -You didn't get through the wall in 1-2 -You didn't do the bullet glitch in 8-2 -You 8-4 water part end wasn't perfect(if the RTA is able to do it perfectly, then a TAS should be too) -You should work a little more on the entertainment, So this would be more interesting to watch. I personally advice you to redo it again with all these elements and there would be a greater chance that this would be accepted but even then, most of the people doesn't seem to like the concept, so it will probably get rejected again :s .
Experienced player (699)
Watching this video makes me wonder if taking the pipe would be quicker with some creative way to avoid the coins. heh...
Super Mario Bros. console speedrunner - Andrew Gardikis
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I'd love to see an ALL COINS TAS too, but there's no exact count of them for each area. Or is it? Also, that's the question - warpless or warpful? And there are hidden corners with many coins, but they skip other coins that aren't secret.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
YoungJ1997lol
He/Him
Player (53)
feos wrote:
I'd love to see an ALL COINS TAS too
Wagh! that's almost impossible. who could be up to that challenge?
So yea, how's it going? Currently TASing: Nothing
andrewg wrote:
Watching this video makes me wonder if taking the pipe would be quicker with some creative way to avoid the coins. heh...
I spent the better part of 3 hours trying to double wallkick on the left wall to get up over the coins in 1-1 and I don't think it can be done. Feel free to prove me wrong, of course.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
This doesn't beat the published run, and uses the wrong ROM version. I have to vote No on this one. Keep trying, mat1er, and you will be able to make a publishable run!
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Why don't you do it, and prove that it's possible?
Experienced player (508)
CoolKirby wrote:
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Isn't it not "almost impossible" but flat out impossible because you can't back track? In 1-1 there is a coin block you wouldn't be able to get if you take the pipe (which is required to get the free floating coins). And even if you only wanted to collect free floating coins in 2-1 if you go in the pipe to collect the coins you wouldn't be able to collect the ones up in the clouds.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
goofydylan8 wrote:
CoolKirby wrote:
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Isn't it not "almost impossible" but flat out impossible because you can't back track? In 1-1 there is a coin block you wouldn't be able to get if you take the pipe (which is required to get the free floating coins). And even if you only wanted to collect free floating coins in 2-1 if you go in the pipe to collect the coins you wouldn't be able to collect the ones up in the clouds.
Max coins vs. All coins. The winner is obvious. Just compare the routes each time.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
The idea of a coin-less run was mentioned many years and has been confirmed that it's possible. It's nice to see that someone actually created this run. I have to vote on this one because it's not optimal. For example, the flag pole trick is not used, didn't go thru wall at the end of 1-2 to access 4-1. I forgot whether a "lowest score" run was discussed or not in the past, it would be nice to see such a run. :-)