Submission Text Full Submission Page
FractalFusion: The movie requires Runtime -> Message Sync Mode -> Unchecked (native messaging), at least for me. It will give an error saying it desyncs, but actually it syncs.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: hourglass-r81
  • Uses In-game reset
  • REACHES the credits
  • Heavy Luck Manipulation
  • Heavy Glitch Abuse

Comments

I've known this glitch for some time already. Initially, I wanted to submit this TAS ASAP, but due to the reception of the previous TAS of this game, I decided to wait until this day. I hope you enjoy this movie.

adelikat: Claimed for judging

adelikat: Rejecting due to poor viewer response.

adelikat Unrejecting this submission for conideration into the Vault tier

adelikat FractalFusion makes a good point here. In the context of this game we will consider 2x Speed and Random Mode as using cheat codes, and I will reject this movie accordingly, in favor of the this goal choice

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3525: jlun2's Windows Syobon Action "Random Mode" in 00:08.28
Skilled player (1706)
adelikat wrote:
So I will dodge that issue completely and reject purely on game choice.
I hope this changes your mind, adelikat. :)
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
encode please
Skilled player (1706)
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
Voted yes.
Active player (292)
This isn't really a glitch. The game has a random mode where everything on the screen is placed at random, and this one just has the end close by.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Thanks for providing an encode, jlun2!
errror1 wrote:
This isn't really a glitch. The game has a random mode where everything on the screen is placed at random, and this one just has the end close by.
Well, thanks for letting me know. I almost thought this was a serious submission, and almost voted Yes. Oh well, No vote.
Patryk1023
He/Him
Yes, you gaise. THIS MUST BE IN, even if it's THAT day. Yes vote, because I like.
<Nach> scrimpy is fretty with her sunglasses on I'm here. never visible.
Skilled player (1706)
errror1 wrote:
It's actually depends on the System time the game was started, and it's actually very difficult to do this, since the ending would get interrupted almost all the time. Don't let the rerecord count fool you; it took alot of time to do this. :P
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
That had plenty of WTF for the 8 seconds it lasted. In all seriousness, I figure that this is an acceptable run in the style of something like King's Bounty: a random game destroyed by luck manipulation. So yeah, Yes vote. This may well be the best Syobon Action run we could ever get.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Active player (292)
jlun2 wrote:
Don't let the rerecord count fool you; it took alot of time to do this. :P
Yeah random mode is normally unbeatable, it's just misleading calling it glitched as a path
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
mklip2001 wrote:
That had plenty of WTF for the 8 seconds it lasted. In all seriousness, I figure that this is an acceptable run in the style of something like King's Bounty: a random game destroyed by luck manipulation. So yeah, Yes vote. This may well be the best Syobon Action run we could ever get.
I second this message. Fun idea, certainly.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
What? I totally expected you to die from getting squished between the left side of the screen and the pipe. I call BS. :p
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
I voted yes to this. Also, as usual, mklip2001's analysis on this submission is spot on :)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
adelikat wrote:
I voted yes to this. Also, as usual, mklip2001's analysis on this submission is spot on :)
Thanks :-) I figure I'm generally too generous in suggesting movies get published (since I'm not a TASer yet), but I'm doing what I can.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Player (26)
Nice TAS'ing, but I still think this is a bad game choice. There are hundreds or thousands of indie games with better graphics and better gameplay.
Senior Moderator
The novelty factor of King's Bounty, as well as its length and the even more extreme lengths the author has gone to reduce it to absolute minimum, are not applicable to this run in any way or form. Meh.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Tub
Finding a glitch or a loophole in a commercial game that went through professional QA is a feat worthy of display. Finding a glitch or a loophole in an amateurish fan game is not surprising at all. Ok, there's some nontrivial luck manipulation involved, but King's Bounty did it faster, and Monopoly did it better. No
m00
Tub wrote:
Finding a glitch or a loophole in a commercial game that went through professional QA is a feat worthy of display. Finding a glitch or a loophole in an amateurish fan game is not surprising at all. Ok, there's some nontrivial luck manipulation involved, but King's Bounty did it faster, and Monopoly did it better. No
by that logic, every ROM Hack or non-commercial game ever made should be unpublished.
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Player (79)
OmegaWatcher wrote:
Tub wrote:
by that logic, every ROM Hack or non-commercial game ever made should be unpublished.
Your dispute being...?
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
OmegaWatcher wrote:
Tub wrote:
I don't think that follows. There's also the issues of novelty and how impressive the manipulation is. * Some hacks are truly impressive and make interesting runs. We have several cool published runs of hacks and non-commercial games. This hack is not really one of them, as previous "full run" submissions have shown. * The only appeal this run really has is the short bit of luck manipulation. I think Moozooh and Tub raise really good points about how this run isn't as interesting: it's not botted to death like King's Bounty, and the result is less visually interesting than Monopoly. Granted, I still like this run, and I think part of my appreciation comes from knowing how obnoxious this game is when played normally. However, I do admit it's not really as impressive as I thought at first. I'm ok with sticking to my Yes vote (barely), but I really have to give Moozooh and Tub credit for raising some good points. Thanks, you two!
Tub wrote:
Finding a glitch or a loophole in a commercial game that went through professional QA is a feat worthy of display.
On NES games? Sure... ¬¬
When human lurking is not enough
Bobo the King wrote:
OmegaWatcher wrote:
Tub wrote:
Your dispute being...?
[1917] Windows Cave Story "best ending" by nitsuja in 50:10.30
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Senior Moderator
What you're saying is non-sequitur, or you're missing the point. 1. Cave Story and pretty much every other homebrew/indie/ROMhack TASes have minutes and hours of tool-assisted gameplay. Gameplay that is entertaining. Here we see a couple seconds of gameplay and a result of otherwise invisible luck manipulation. And the bit of gameplay that we see isn't anything special either. 2. King's Bounty TAS had a fun and novelty factor of a long and complex game beaten instantly thanks to extreme luck manipulation, as well as the subtle humor in subtitles used by the encoder (I think it was Maza; he wrote "This was a tool-assisted speedrun" in subtitles as they came onto the screen already after the last input). And the next version of the TAS actually brute-forced the sequence, essentially rendering it unimprovable, which can't be said about any other luck manipulation-based TAS here. Syobon Action doesn't have that factor, and the nature of its "glitch" actually makes it more convenient to execute. 3. As this game is homebrew and free, it can't be assumed that it went through quality assurance typical commercial of games of the last 20 years. This makes the "glitch" showcased here about inherently less impressive; for me it's closer to accessing a debug menu in the beginning of Genesis Ninja Gaiden. For the record, I voted "meh" rather than "no" only because I can see merit in the last couple seconds as well as the possibility of even better manipulation, but really I don't care either way.
Warp wrote:
Edit: I think I understand now: It's my avatar, isn't it? It makes me look angry.
Tub
OmegaWatcher wrote:
Certainly not. But a run on a hack or non-commercial game has to show more than "Hey, look how poorly this thing is made!".
m00