(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page

Summary

• Introduce new kind of controversy; JAP acting over USA text to save time! (cutscenes arent skipable, even with sram)
  • Abuse Programming Errors
  • Takes Damage To Save Time
  • Manipulates Luck
  • Emulator used: psxjin (2.0.2)
  • Length:12:00.02 Frames:43129 Re-records:12007

FractalFusion: Bit 5 of byte 0x0C was set, indicating hack use. Along with the plaintext format, it causes the site to flag many frames as hacked. To clear this, I have cleared bit 5 of byte 0x0C.
FractalFusion: Added branch "E3 Version".
FractalFusion: Judging.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Patryk1023
He/Him
Even if it's still an E3 version, it's so fucking good. Yep.
<Nach> scrimpy is fretty with her sunglasses on I'm here. never visible.
Wren
He/Him
Agreed. That was all kinds of awesome.
<i>A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.</i>
I have a feeling if you was at E3 when this was there, and you was able to do this TAS with real skill, I think they would of looked at each other and said, "We got to fix this... the game is way too broken to sell like this." Then they wouldn't of cared, since the game was finished and fully playable anyway.
Phear my uber gimpyness!
Experienced player (954)
The whole special mode was overlooked (theres a library card in catacomb heh), but for their defense, with no knowledge on the game, theres basicly 0 chances someone would go trought the dark spiked room and exit the catacombs. Remember also that if this game is so buggy its mainly because IGA is kinda the worse dev you could ever come accross, just look at the re-release on psp, they went back to the original code and tryed to re-fix everything, result > the very first bug they fixed like a week after release (stealthy, same cd ect...) is now present on the psp, you can fight end dracula with richter, while it include fix from the latest (pal) release on psx like you cant use sword brothers to unlock menu, very very very poor programming/debug/testing skills overall (cant even make a decent changelog).
I'm guessing picking up a Masamune from the Black Panther wouldn't have been faster than using...Werebane, was it? on Dracula. Amusing concept. A pity the text drags on so slowly.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Experienced player (954)
Derakon wrote:
I'm guessing picking up a Masamune from the Black Panther wouldn't have been faster than using...Werebane, was it? on Dracula.
It would have been faster, except we arent in luck mode and I couldnt drop anything at all, otherwise I would have get simply medusa shield + mablumg sword The sword I use is given already when you start this special mode, its the rapier (the fire sword, potions and relics as well are all given at start)
Derakon wrote:
A pity the text drags on so slowly.
Funnly enought this run is still faster than published any% (that does skip cutscenes) I think its slow because its unfinished work syncing text and audio (they probly didnt had the voices yet), there must be a bug tho in the script because they are unskipable, while if you dont use the "special" demo mode (and sram), they can be skiped.
i'm voting WTF because WTF ?
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Good to see Konami is as good with grammar as they are with spelling. "Is come"
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Player (24)
I like this game, I like the E3 Version and I vote yes. Its so special and the TAS looks great done.
Last TAS finished: Final Fantasy Adventure (4.0 Warp Glitch Run) WIP in the moment: Tail Gator (GB) Matty
Experienced player (954)
Btw, anybody know why the site parser went crazy with this movie ? Ive checked, theres no control bit used in the movie (so I dunno how he find all those frames...), and anyway spu irq hack isnt active anymore in psxjin format, wth happened ? Theres not even a dirty sram so really got no idea why it did that.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
I don't think this adds much over the existing SOTN movies. Same glitches, same methods. Route is different because of the different starting location and items, but you don't really see anything "new".
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I'm leaning towards rejecting this movie. The game looks like an unfinished hack and doesn't add anything new compared to the existing TASes.
Interesting game choice... Going to go yes because research says completion of this "demo" version is not possible to complete under normal conditions.
Experienced player (954)
Note that there is a full game mode available as well when you boot up this version, but once you select the demo mode, youll get "lock" inside it (for obvious reasons, or you would just have to soft reset, or game over, and access the "full" game mode directly)
"full" relativly speaking, it has a lot of stuff missing and (again) can't be completed normally.
Experienced player (954)
I persist, its full, no items are missing, all bosses are present, all dialogues too, this is the japanesse release with unfinished translation and the extra demo mode. Now the demo isnt suppose to be abused like that yeah, but the other mode is definitly the full game, you can load, save ect... (even compatible with release lol)
I agree with FractalFusion. Even if "finishing the game" should be impossible in normal circunstances, it's just the same as the original, adding nohing new.
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Experienced player (954)
So since its not obvious, let me list the differences I can think about now: -Reaching dracula take 5 min instead 10 -The set of relic is totally different, in the published any% you get wolf+double jump, here you get bat, boots and a bunch of others stuff (changing drastically movements available, period) -You take a different route, since you spawn in a completly different area, and skip a fairly big size of the current any%. -You dont have 99 LCK (luck mode) and so you cant drop jackshit. -Stats are completly different, and you are given a set of items that you dont get in normal conditions (swords, potions, trow items ect...) -No prologue, no meeting maria, no meeting richter (well sort off...) -Some glitchs require relics that you dont have in the current any% That will be good enought for now I think.
We already have: SotN "newgame+" SotN "Richter" SotN "All Relics & Best Ending" SotN on Saturn (Maria) Let's look at the E3 demo version. - Even though the full version is there, this run uses the demo mode. Why? Just to start closer to the end. Using the demo mode automatically makes it worth less. It's like using a password, but with the dev's arbitrary starting location and starting relics as a pretext. - Now if there was some situation strictly intrinsic to the demo mode that allowed for a very difficult glitch to completely break the game or something, then it may have been better. But this run just uses the same out-of-bounds glitch as all the other runs use. - There is unskippable dialog in this run. What's worse is that the way the dialog is handled only serves to draw attention to the inferiority of this version. Japanese voice acting on English text? Even more, the text is nowhere timed properly so there are long streches of silence during slow text. - Luck mode is off. OK, that makes it different. That doesn't make it better. - This run has some nice glitches, but anyone can watch the Best Ending run for all their glitch-watching needs. In my opinion, this version is not worth publishing alongside the 4 existing runs, and it is obviously not obsoleting any of them either.
Experienced player (954)
FractalFusion wrote:
- Even though the full version is there, this run uses the demo mode. Why? Just to start closer to the end. Using the demo mode automatically makes it worth less. It's like using a password, but with the dev's arbitrary starting location and starting relics as a pretext.
If i had use the "normal" mode, then it would have been identical copy of the any% (i dont see how it would have been any interresting)
FractalFusion wrote:
- Now if there was some situation strictly intrinsic to the demo mode that allowed for a very difficult glitch to completely break the game or something, then it may have been better. But this run just uses the same out-of-bounds glitch as all the other runs use.
Im fairly certain people at the E3 demo would have call it hardcore game breaking if somebody had made his way out of the catacombs lol
FractalFusion wrote:
- There is unskippable dialog in this run. What's worse is that the way the dialog is handled only serves to draw attention to the inferiority of this version. Japanese voice acting on English text? Even more, the text is nowhere timed properly so there are long streches of silence during slow text.
Does that mean if somehow we could remove the dialogs it make it more "publishable"?
FractalFusion wrote:
- Luck mode is off. OK, that makes it different. That doesn't make it better.
I agree thats correct, my point wasnt to list whats "better", but what was different. The only thing "better" is the speed.
FractalFusion wrote:
- This run has some nice glitches, but anyone can watch the Best Ending run for all their glitch-watching needs.
I just hope this doesnt mean i could have get published if i had run E3 before 100%, because thats annoying imo.
FractalFusion wrote:
In my opinion, this version is not worth publishing alongside the 4 existing runs, and it is obviously not obsoleting any of them either.
My personal opinion is its borderline, i dont have a strong feeling it should be published, nor rejected, hence why i didnt canceled it Thats make me wonder, how about to do 100% on the E3 ? you get more relics at start so it would make it shorter obviously
Had most of the existing runs of SotN not have existed prior to this submission, then yes, it would stand a better chance. But the fact is that these 4 runs exist. That is life, and that is a valid reason to argue against publication (it has been done before on this site). Also, the fact is that unless and until dialogs in this game are removed by the TASer (whether by proper game function or by glitch), the fact is that dialogs cannot be removed, so there is no point speculating on that.
Experienced player (954)
FractalFusion wrote:
Had most of the existing runs of SotN not have existed prior to this submission, then yes, it would stand a better chance. But the fact is that these 4 runs exist. That is life, and that is a valid reason to argue against publication (it has been done before on this site). Also, the fact is that unless and until dialogs in this game are removed by the TASer (whether by proper game function or by glitch), the fact is that dialogs cannot be removed, so there is no point speculating on that.
Theres no point in speculating but thats life and i have to go along with that, i mean seriously? thats your answer? making me the moral and all... Done with tasing if thats the official answer, my life dont deserve to get that kind of obstacles, your answer is bullshit imo, wether or not it happened on the site before, thats a joke and not respectfull at all. Theres now an "order" in wich your suppose to submit your runs to maximize publications and visibility, unacceptable.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... crunchy!
arukAdo, I'm sorry that I did not realize how rude and offensive my posts were. Had I known that this would have been the case, I would never have made those posts. Please note that the last post I made was only giving my personal interpretation of the matter and is by no means "official". You are entirely free to uncancel this submission and/or the Resident Evil 2 submission. If you uncancel this submission, I will withdraw my intention to judge the run. In that case, the next person to judge your run may accept it.