(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page

Game objectives

• Emulator used: 64 bit Dolphin 3.0-617 (TAS-Input) (will sync on 3.0-590 of master branch)
  • Reaches credits early
  • Does not shot web.
  • Uses a password

Emulator Details

• Dual core disabled
  • Idle skipping disabled.
  • DSP LLE recompiler
This game crashes on start with JIT. This can be avoided by running in debug mode, and using interpreter for the first frame advance (frame count should still read 0), then switching back to JIT. It will not sync if you leave interpreter on. It also seems to crash at any time in 32 bit if you switch to JIT. Mac and linux versions have not been tested.

Comments

The password HCRAYERT will normally put you in chapter 16 with most upgrade, and 200,000 hero points. However, by entering it at a very specific time, in this case ~24 frames before the white dot marker disappears from the map, it instead triggers the credits. This glitch was found by jlun2, but it is not known how or why it works.

adelikat: The audience response seems to be that this is a neat glitch but not enough to base an entire TAS around. Rejecting due to poor audience feed back.

adelikat: Unrejecting this submission for consideration into the Vault tier

adelikat: Wile the glitch itself is a password glitch, it is still a TAS that uses passwords. While there are exceptions to this rule, the Vault is not an appropriate place for these exceptions. Setting back to rejected status.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3568: jlun2 & RachelB's GC Spider-Man 2 "glitched" in 00:30.38
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
The time is completely wrong. It is exactly 63 seconds. Also, to clarify, this password does not normally warp you anywhere, load anything, etc. All it (normally) does is advances to chapter 16, and gives you some stuff. It does not even do the normal pause the game and show the chapter you are on that it does when starting a chapter normally.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I thought it was short, fast, and entertaining, and of course a great achievement managing to warp to the credits (even though it makes no sense why that should have happened). Nice find and thanks for providing an encode so I can quickly vote Yes.
Experienced player (576)
I never played spider man 2, I only played the first one on the GC but I enjoyed it. Though it uses a password, I found this to be decently entertaining since where it takes you glitches up, so yes vote.
Former player
Sorry to say, but I'm voting no. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I don't think there's a point in this being published. Though it was entertaining (the ~8 seconds of it that was actually gameplay), it doesn't change the fact that the TAS itself was rather pointless. I would be looking forward to a full TAS of this game, but honestly... This is just as much of a joke to me as your April fools submission.
www.youtube.com/user/ptorflaxendrosis
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
ptorflaxendrosis wrote:
I would be looking forward to a full TAS of this game
I wouldn't expect that any time soon. The game doesn't even normally run in dolphin, and using debug to switch to JIT crashes randomly all the time.
Skilled player (1705)
Fr the frame count, does the site use the file length, or the frame count in the dtm header? Also, rog, I think this should be labeled as "glitched". Edit: rog, I can't play back the dtm, but in the encode, the part after the tutorial can be improved by several frames if you face against the wall, which prevents the camerea from spining before the chapter pause. :)
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
jlun2 wrote:
Fr the frame count, does the site use the file length, or the frame count in the dtm header?
It uses the VI counter from the header. The frame counter is more accurate for gamecube controller movies, but not for wiimote.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
Voting no, because what it essentially does is use a password to skip to the credits. Even if the password wasn't intended to do that, that doesn't change the fact a password was used to skip the game. I also didn't find it entertaining in the slightest, it was just going to chapter 3 (with minimal gameplay), waiting for a short while, and entering the password for instant credits. Doesn't count as a real speedrun, in my opinion.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
jlun2 wrote:
Edit: rog, I can't play back the dtm, but in the encode, the part after the tutorial can be improved by several frames if you face against the wall, which prevents the camerea from spining before the chapter pause. :)
Just checked, this saves no time. Specifically, the chapter pause is shorter by ~20 frames, but the frame that you need to enter the password on will always be the same regardless.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
While it was a really cool idea I have to agree with Mothrayas. Voted No.
Mothrayas wrote:
Voting no, because what it essentially does is use a password to skip to the credits. Even if the password wasn't intended to do that, that doesn't change the fact a password was used to skip the game. I also didn't find it entertaining in the slightest, it was just going to chapter 3 (with minimal gameplay), waiting for a short while, and entering the password for instant credits. Doesn't count as a real speedrun, in my opinion.
Guga
He/Him
...wait, what? If you didn't get it, it means Yes vote.
Active player (434)
i find it entertaining but i would like to see the category being labeled as "glitched and cheated" and specifying IN-GAME cheat with capital letters,i hope the submission text is good enough to explain that
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
grassini wrote:
i find it entertaining but i would like to see the category being labeled as "glitched and cheated" and specifying IN-GAME cheat with capital letters,i hope the submission text is good enough to explain that
I see what you did there, and lold.
darkszero
He/Him
As sson as the credits appeared, I started laughing. Even tough it's a cheat, the credits just pop out of nowhere.
Active player (372)
Because it's frame specific, it's something that can't be done without tool assistance, so I think it applies. It's entertaining and short too, so a yes vote from me.
Editor, Player (44)
Clearly needs a verification movie that produces the password save in question :)
Personman
Other
I like it, though I don't have strong feelings on whether it gets published or not. I think this may warrant my first 'meh' vote ever!
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
This is not entertaining.
Working on: Legend of Legaia, Vagrant Story
10RingBox
He/Him
Neat glitch but I don't think it's particularly fascinating or entertaining to see. From a quirky standpoint sure, but from a TAS standpoint it just seems a little lackluster. (Also good to know Treyarch was producing crap games long before Call of Duty.)
Active player (458)
Kon wrote:
Neat glitch but I don't think it's particularly fascinating or entertaining to see. From a quirky standpoint sure, but from a TAS standpoint it just seems a little lackluster. (Also good to know Treyarch was producing crap games long before Call of Duty.)
Whoa whoa whoa. This is by far the best Spider-Man game that has been released.
snorlax
He/Him
VanillaCoke wrote:
Kon wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa. This is by far the best Spider-Man game that has been released.
Agreed. This game is awesome, and I'm really looking forward to more runs on it on any console when possible. I don't know how I feel about this particular run though.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Change title to Glitch/Cheat ?!? anyways B**** game as child voting NO wait what wait wait YES
Kon wrote:
Also good to know Treyarch was producing crap games long before Call of Duty.
Get the hell out... Don't really care about COD tbh but before COD I do so play the games before shitting on them
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Either this is a very late April Fools submission, or this is just a great glitch. Short, fast, entertaining. Voting Yes.
Samus plays the SA-Xaphone
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Spikestuff wrote:
Kon wrote:
Also good to know Treyarch was producing crap games long before Call of Duty.
Get the hell out... Don't really care about COD tbh but before COD I do so play the games before shitting on them
What's your ordeal? Did he ever say he never played the games?
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.