Submission Text Full Submission Page
Emulator Used: Snes9x 1.51 for Windows
Aims: Ending the movie earlier to save time - -
I made this movie. I stopped the movie to save time. - -b

Nach: Judging.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3583: LYF's SNES Super Mario World "Fastest Death" in 00:24.43
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
DOES ANYONE USE EDIT ANYMORE? Answer I have no idea Hey look I used edit Voting NO reasons - Late April fools (If it was April 1st I would've voted yes) - Heck you can make that faster not saying how because I don't want to see another one - Stopped recording before death doesn't count - 35 rerecords common if you're going to fake make it higher God! - ""eggache" movie" nope when your timer stops your run stops. the death doesn't count.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Guga
He/Him
... LYF: Are you trolling or something?
Editor
Actually, we have a ruling that it is ok to stop the movie at the point where continuous blank input reaches the goal. But that doesn't mean anything when you miss the date with several weeks.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
henke37 wrote:
Actually, we have a ruling that it is ok to stop the movie at the point where continuous blank input reaches the goal.
well for that tas it's plain stupid. No offence. if it's a real death tas I would keep the recording till the death.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Player (65)
I thought this was some kind of desync, but apparently ending input and waiting for the first mob to run into him is the run. What are the voting guidelines (and why aren't they auto linked to the poll)? Needs to be in a "fastest end of input that results in death" category. It is a slow and boring death and seemingly devoid of technical merit if not properly qualified.
Guga
He/Him
Why do you guys even try to make this submission look like a serious one?
nanogyth wrote:
I thought this was some kind of desync, but apparently ending input and waiting for the first mob to run into him is the run. What are the voting guidelines (and why aren't they auto linked to the poll)? Needs to be in a "fastest end of input that results in death" category. It is a slow and boring death and seemingly devoid of technical merit if not properly qualified.
This submission should be rejected, but assuming it was of publishable quality, you are incorrect. TAS site rules are that we time the game until final input. Bending this rule at all completely invalidates timing on just about every single video (most games end at least 2 frames after final input, usually more).
Player (172)
Here is a "fastest game over" run. :3 EDIT: I forgot to vote. I see through this run no effort, no entertainment, and no surprise. It's just because of the bad goal choice. No vote, sorry.
Retired because of that deletion event. Projects (WIP RIP): VIP3 all-exits "almost capeless yoshiless", VIP2 all-exits, TSRP2 "normal run"
Player (65)
"fastest death" and "fastest end of input that results in death" have the same meaning for official timing. But for a viewer unfamiliar with the official definition some clarification would be helpful.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
nanogyth wrote:
"fastest death" and "fastest end of input that results in death" have the same meaning for official timing. But for a viewer unfamiliar with the official definition some clarification would be helpful.
I think part of the problem is that fastest death runs typically aren't accepted, so there's little precedent. If they were accepted, I personally would think that the fastest time as measured from start to when the death actually occurs would be more interesting than end-of-input, because there are so many games where you'll die eventually with no input as long as you start the first level, so "fastest death" runs in many cases then become a simple menu navigation exercise.
Expert player (2582)
nanogyth wrote:
Needs to be in a "fastest end of input that results in death" category.
That at least would make some sense, to kill Mario faster you must keep pressing right untill you have the necessary speed to end the input and have the same result as if you're still pressing right. It may be a serious submission and LYF may not be a troll, but it doesn't look like too much effort was put into his run, so I'm voting No on this one.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Amaraticando
It/Its
Editor, Player (158)
Again, this? http://tasvideos.org/3084S.html And you could have saved a frame, by pressing "select" at the introduction, instead of "A">"B">"A">etc. Nevermind, SNES9x 1.43 is different.
Player (172)
Amaraticando wrote:
And you could have saved a frame, by pressing "select" at the introduction, instead of "A">"B">"A">etc.
I tested that, but strange frame rule prevents us from saving a frame. I now feel that most of our know-how to handle something like frame rule or lag management, is more or less useless on 1.51...
Retired because of that deletion event. Projects (WIP RIP): VIP3 all-exits "almost capeless yoshiless", VIP2 all-exits, TSRP2 "normal run"
RachelB
She/Her
Player (127)
Re: timing Of course timing ends at the last input, regardless of whether the game is beat at that time. However, in this case, the goal is to die as fast as possible, and ending input early to stand around and wait for something to hit him goes against that goal. He could have died faster by running into an enemy. It would still be appropriate to end input as the earliest frame that allows him to die without losing time. Voting no for that reason.
Skilled player (1706)
Spikestuff wrote:
- 35 rerecords common if you're going to fake make it higher God!
This movie that has high ratings have only 58 rerecords. Unpublished it now? LOL
Antoids wrote:
TAS site rules are that we time the game until final input. Bending this rule at all completely invalidates timing on just about every single video (most games end at least 2 frames after final input, usually more).
There are runs which end input way before its supposed to. :P
Amaraticando
It/Its
Editor, Player (158)
Mister wrote:
Amaraticando wrote:
And you could have saved a frame, by pressing "select" at the introduction, instead of "A">"B">"A">etc.
I tested that, but strange frame rule prevents us from saving a frame. I now feel that most of our know-how to handle something like frame rule or lag management, is more or less useless on 1.51...
I tested it too now and got the same result... But what about the fadout lag?
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
There are some other runs that end input early. #1662: Chamale's NES River City Ransom in 06:40.38: 3 minutes at the final boss. #3496: Bernka's Windows Rosenkreuzstilette "Spiritia" in 27:58.25: The whole final boss. [1940] SNES Trials of Mana "2 players" by praetarius3 in 3:24:49.00: Ends input before the second last form of the final boss is defeated. [1742] SNES Mega Man & Bass "Bass" by sparky in 28:08.23: Not as extreme as the others, but it's there. Almost all the Monopoly submissions And that's not going into all the joke submissions (including fastest death) for which ending input early can be abused so easily. I don't necessarily agree with this method of ending input early in general. Use in types of TASes like joke submissions, board games, and autoscrollers can be excused. But for other types of TASes, not so much.
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
LYF, April 1st was on April 1st, not today.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Patryk1023
He/Him
Guys, there's nothing to say. We had April Fools like 27 days ago and he was just too late. To automatic reject, "no" vote.
<Nach> scrimpy is fretty with her sunglasses on I'm here. never visible.
May fools, I guess...
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Very funny, LYF. But yeah, No vote.
LYF
They/Them
Banned User
OK......我无语了。。。这玩笑我真的开大了。 I'll change my introductions into "Aims for ending the movie as quickly as possible"
Patryk1023
He/Him
LYF wrote:
OK ... I am speechless. . . This joke, I really open. I'll change my introductions into "Aims for ending the movie as quickly as possible"
1. Google Translated, so it's bad as hell 2. Maybe just cancel the submission? It's too late for jokes.
<Nach> scrimpy is fretty with her sunglasses on I'm here. never visible.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Patryk1023 wrote:
It's too late for jokes.
It's never too late for good jokes. Fastest death has well been overused though.