Submission Text Full Submission Page
-FCE Ultra Emulation -100% Kills (To Save Time) -Abuses luck
-Jaws is the easiest and one of the shortest games on the planet. When you're not dropping cannonballs on dancing jellyfish you're shooting harpoons at a 30' shark who lives in an ocean about the size of the castle at the bottom of my goldfish tank. With lame animation, no story, and three (three!!!) enemies, it makes me wonder why I wasted my time, but it's about as exciting as watching the movie series, if you've never seen the movies and someone lies to you.
-The hardest part about Jaws is keeping yourself from seeing the repeating Final Fantasy-ish "You've Hit Something!" when wandering around the map screen, hence the slight delays after the bonus stage. 100% kills are necessary for a fast time because, for example, if a sting-ray shoots past the diver and goes off-screen, he'll emerge a few inches higher going the opposite direction, and the session lasts as long as the enemies are alive. Therefore, the fastest dispatch of all enemies provides the least amount of time underwater. Two sessions and the bonus stage are required to collect enough shells to acquire the receiver and power up two levels. It is impossible to beat Jaws in one underwater session with a power level less than three, and if you don't take him out in one session, he revives four life bars. I tried the game with a power level of two and it took four sessions to take out Jaws - much faster to just get that power-up. Furthermore, I collected the mini-sub which boosted the final time by more than 30 seconds over just using the diver and harpoons.

Phil: I think this one is obsolete in favor of this one.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #374: -ziplock-'s NES Jaws in 04:36.85
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
call me crazy but i like this game, i see it as a smooth shooter, nothing else, pac man has only 1 type of enemy and it doesnt make it a bad game, that's no argument. anyways, i'm gonna watch the movie when i get home and i'll vote for it :)
Active player (277)
Yeah, I'm sure it is pretty short. Once I saw someone beat it playing normally in the 20 minutes before school started.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Former player
Hm, is there any way to randomize the needed number of shells from just one underwater encounter? If that isn't the case I'll definitely vote yes for this... -Josh
but then you take my 75 perchance chance of winning, if we was to go one-on-one, and then add 66 and two-thirds ch...percents...i got a 141 and two-thirds chance of winning at sacrifice
Former player
FODA wrote:
pac man has only 1 type of enemy
PAC-MAN has four distinct enemies, each with a different AI.
someone is out there who will like you. take off your mask so they can find you faster. I support the new Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun.
Active player (277)
But they all look the same! And they all do the same thing when they touch you!
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
they have distinct AI?? how can you tell the difference between them? is that true? that's funny cause it doesnt seem to make that much of a difference
Former player
FODA wrote:
they have distinct AI?? how can you tell the difference between them?
Each ghost obeys "scatter" commands - attacks come in waves. Scatters automatically happen at certain times, according to the level, and additionally whenever a power pellet is taken. Blinky prefers the upper-left corner. He is the most aggressive ghost and always shortens the distance between himself and Pac-Man. He increases in speed after a certain number of dots have been eaten (a phenomenon known as "Cruise Elroy"). Pinky uses the same AI as Blinky, except he prefers to go around obstacles anticlockwise rather than clockwise and does not increase in speed. Inky adopts the AI of the closest ghost. Clyde's AI is pseudorandom, depending on your position in the level.
someone is out there who will like you. take off your mask so they can find you faster. I support the new Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun.
Former player
Josh the FunkDOC wrote:
Hm, is there any way to randomize the needed number of shells from just one underwater encounter? If that isn't the case I'll definitely vote yes for this...
As in I get too many? Well, I don't think it's possible to get any less than I do and still nail all 30 jellyfish - I only need 13 shells to get to the power level of 3 and I get 10 from the bonus stage. The baby shark always drops 1, so that leaves 2 required. It doesn't seem possible to only get 2 shells from the enemies underwater and kill them all.
Former player
ziplock: What I meant was, is it possible to abuse luck to get all 13 shells from your first "YOU'VE HIT SOMETHING!", and thus not have to bother with the second encounter and bonus stage? That would be a huge timesaver if it were possible... -Josh
but then you take my 75 perchance chance of winning, if we was to go one-on-one, and then add 66 and two-thirds ch...percents...i got a 141 and two-thirds chance of winning at sacrifice
Former player
hmm- I'll give it a try
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
you could also try shooting jaws while you're above him since the bombs go down? i see you go over him but you wait a lot of time to start shooting is there a reason for that?
Former player
Well, when you go up he follows you to your level. It's pretty impossible to keep him below you.
nesrocks
He/Him
Player (241)
you just went over him and you were in position to shoot but you went down to shoot his face, i mean it can be done a bit faster, not that much of an improvement, just to look tighter and maybe a few seconds faster with as fast as possible shooting ;)
people are too picky sometimes...Jaws boasts a short video that isn't at all boring since it IS so short, and it is very well done...It is definitely not that easy to avoid final fantasy style fights...I can bet you started the time attack over again a few times..due to the randomization of them within the game...I definitely voted yes for it...Even the music is pretty catchy...:)
Former player
Whoa, I never knew this game had an ending! o_O I thought Jaws kept reappearing or something, ha ha. Maybe there could be some minor improvements made, but I don't think it would save a whole lot of time.
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Wow, this game is quite the classic, I'm gonna vote yes. I don't think that luck manipulation will get the shells in one encounter, these things are often based on every nth enemy killed, etc. So go ahead and work on version 2, but this was a nice ride, good job.
Former player
I tried and tried, but I think AxeMan's right. It doesn't seem possible to get all 13 shells in the first encounter (it gives you a bunch of speed-crabs before it even thinks about shells), but even if I could get 13 shells, there doesn't seem to be a way to get to the port before "hitting something" again. Therefore, my run of hitting two underwater encounters then the bonus stage (not preventable after the second "hit something") seems to be the only way to go. The mini-sub saves tons of time, hence the going out of the way, but the only improvement that has been pointed out that's possible is the Jaws fight. I'll play around with this when I'm done with my Metroid run, but I don't think I can save but a few seconds. The only other thing I could do to save a fuzz of time is not get all 30 shots in in the bonus round and skip the "You got them all - bonus points blah blah," but that only takes a couple of seconds - I think it's better to get them all.