Strider (NES) is a platform game which normally takes around half an hour to complete. Here it is in 3 minutes.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEUX 2.1.5
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Aims for fastest completion

Comments

This run took me 3 weeks to complete mainly because I had to start over 3 times. It was fun finding all of the improvements though.

Improvement Table

LevelKymanMaximusImprovement
Kazakh40214408387
Australia28603501641
Red Dragon162869615333

Stage by stage comments

Kazakh

This level is pretty much identical to the previous TAS up until the very last part, other than optimization. It actually ties the amount of lag to kill the enemies, so I don't lose time by not killing all of them. I save a few seconds by not dying, and going to the very left and zipping down to the start of the stage and exiting from there.

Australia

The first section is all optimization improvements. The second section takes a whole new route, by going right and zipping down twice directly to the boss room, and then reloading it by leaving. This saves a few seconds. In the first part of the boss fight, I manage to one cycle it instead of two, by closely monitoring the health of the boss.

Red Dragon

This level is the most changed compared to the previous take on it. I zip at the end of the first room, which if carefully guided using frame precision, makes me end up in the room after the Matic fight! I skip the entire level and the Matic fight, which is harder than the final one. On the last hit of the boss, I save a few frames by slashing instead of holding up, which allows me to end the movie a few frames earlier.

Known Improvements

I have a run from before I found an improvement in the first level, that has an improved Australia boss fight. I died to save half a second at the end of the fight. The problem is I cannot seem to replicate the timing of the balls to be time saving in my current movie.

Suggested Screenshots

feos: encoded.

Nach: Wow great run, accepting. Now we just need the other games in the series TAS'd.

Guga: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3594: Kyman's NES Strider in 03:42.18
O.O?!?!?! WTF?! Definite Yes vote. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Player (33)
Very interesting. Started out kinda meh-ish, but sped up really fast. Looks really good, maybe some improvements, but as I don't know the game it looks really good. Really love going through walls. Great job, Yes!
IronSlayer wrote:
Your counterargument would be like me saying that the Earth is round and then you telling me that I need to show it's flat so I can "prove us all wrong".
Seems legit.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Awesome game, awesome run. Yes vote and processing HD.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Crazy improvement. Yes vote.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Well, that was a surprising last stage. I kind of miss seeing Matic get fought, but this will still impressive. Yes vote. Would you have any interest in doing a run without wall-zips? It's up to you whether you actually get all the items (i.e. you could skip Disk 1 and maybe the ability to charge your cipher).
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Editor, Active player (429)
mklip2001 wrote:
Would you have any interest in doing a run without wall-zips? It's up to you whether you actually get all the items (i.e. you could skip Disk 1 and maybe the ability to charge your cipher).
If the game was more simple to TAS I would, so I don't think I want to. It's a bit harder than it looks to TAS. Thanks everybody for all the voting and responses though.
feos wrote:
Awesome game, awesome run. Yes vote and processing HD.
Can you send me that encode possibly? I would love to have it on my channel too.
Experienced player (576)
Never heard of this game til now. The zipping was pretty cool and I liked what happened in the bottom left screenshot. Voted yes.
Kyman, which service do you prefer to download from? Torrents work pretty odd for me. The file is 63MB. Can you download from ifolder.ru?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Active player (405)
I think the encode has an audio desync. Edit: Nevermind. Must have been on my end.
Active player (372)
Just awesome. Yes for sure!
Editor, Experienced player (852)
Very good improvement! This is my favorite screenshot:
There taking him on a train to Egypt; I'm going to Australia.
Expert player (2582)
I quite don't remember the old run anymore, but this one's awesome regardless! I'm voting Yes.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Nice improvement, Kyman! I like watching all the wall-clipping. Yes vote.
I find it hilarious that one of Strider's abilities in this game is WARP (30 energy). Of course, being a ninja, he disregards the limits of mere mortals and warps directly to the end, never confronting that traitor, Matic.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
Wow, that was a huge improvement! Very nice.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
feos wrote:
Kyman, which service do you prefer to download from? Torrents work pretty odd for me. The file is 63MB. Can you download from ifolder.ru?
I believe so.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Interesting improvement. Although I think the game could really do away with all the flashing effects. It's like the designers implemented these flashing effects just to stimulate themselves. I vote yes.
I enjoyed. Yes vote here!
Has never colored a dinosaur.
feos wrote:
http://ifolder.ru/30402200
I can't seem to get this link to work. EDIT: Never mind, after a lot of trying, I finally got it to work.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2036] NES Strider by Kyman in 03:42.18