(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Street Fighter III: New Generation is the amazing sequel of Street Fighter II, and the beginning that spawned the more famous titles of 2nd Impact and Third Strike. This one wasn't as well recieved as the others for the lack of SFII characters other than Ryu or Ken.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FBA-rr-v007
  • Aims for the highest score
  • To display target combos, specials, and supers
  • Avoid Spamming or Corner Bullying

Comments

I chose to do a TAS of Dudley as I found the ones on YouTube didn't display proper combos such as the 5 hit combo or any of the other target combos. Juggling is cool for the first couple rounds but they seem to drag it on too long.
In this run I show how a real Dudley player would do it, and not do silly one trick pony shows.
I picked New Generation also because there is only 7 people to go through, so it doesn't drag on too like some of the Third Strike gruefood on here. Not to mention New Generation/2nd Impact ending for Dudley is the same, so why not pick the faster way to get it.

Workflow comments

For all the fighters on here I try to parry or trick the AI into letting me hit them to initiate a combo/special/super.
I mix everything up for the most part to avoid move being repeated too often. Sometimes I have a special ready, but I don't use it to avoid predictability of the run. I studied a bit of SDR's runs of SFII:HE to see how he does it. Mainly I saw that he gives the fighters a chance to hit and throws them to the other side.
Overall this run went fairly fast even though it wasn't intentional. I tried to keep some of the fighters alive as much as I could to get enough combos in.
I rerecord openings numerous times to get the best target combo. Not just to undo from getting hit or blocked.
There was originally a plan to do a 2P with Dudley vs Elena with the healing special to get a long combo fest in from both. However it seemed to drag on too slow and didn't look impressive.
Here is a move list I also took note of that shows all the possible target combos in the games: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Street_Fighter_III/Characters/Dudley
To give me a basic idea of what to implement

Other comments

I find an audience will find this run interesting due to that all the combos are technically doable in real time, but at a extremely fast pace.
To replay this movie properly, Exit the emulator, Reopen, Pick Start Playback, Pick the game, Pick the proper movie. DO NOT repeat DO NOT play from beginning or it will desync.

Noxxa: Judging.
feos: HD encode.

Noxxa: Judging again.
Noxxa: I'll reject this. The viewer feedback is quite poor, and additionally, despite the TAS not being very long, it manages to be quite repetitive, repeating the same combo's many times over again. The run doesn't have much to offer other than repeated, quickly done target combo's and occasional perfect parrying. It doesn't show much of what the Street Fighter 3 series is capable of; for that purpose, a Third Strike run with the character Twelve would probably be the best way to go for a publishable TAS of the Street Fighter 3 series as a whole.
Additionally, an unassisted combo video displays that there is a lot more potential in New Generation Dudley that wasn't shown in the TAS, showing that it could've been quite better entertainment-wise. But at this point it isn't good enough or received well enough, and because of that, I'll reject this TAS.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Editor, Experienced player (608)
[ASIA] and [NOCD] don't belong in the game name. You probably meant to put them in the ROM name. Anyway, I'll wait for an encode to watch.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
CoolKirby wrote:
[ASIA] and [NOCD] don't belong in the game name. You probably meant to put them in the ROM name. Anyway, I'll wait for an encode to watch.
Thanks. Fixed
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
Will try to encode.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Player (12)
I won't vote for now because I haven't seen the movie, but your reasoning to pick New Generation over the much more popular 3rd Strike seems very strange to me. With 3rd Strike you could have just picked Twelve with the X.C.O.P.Y. Super Art the and show a huge variety of combinations from plenty of different characters.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
SmashManiac wrote:
I won't vote for now because I haven't seen the movie, but your reasoning to pick New Generation over the much more popular 3rd Strike seems very strange to me. With 3rd Strike you could have just picked Twelve with the X.C.O.P.Y. Super Art the and show a huge variety of combinations from plenty of different characters.
Twelve would take some time for anyone to do successfully, as it requires to know how all the characters work unassisted. Their strategies, How far they can go to attack without being blocked, What can be linked. However I could see it pulled off from investing a lot of time into it about a year for sure.
Active player (434)
SmashManiac wrote:
it takes a lot of time to set the super up,so i guess it's better to just take the faster game with one character only.I would love to see twelve's run though
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
There's a Third Strike Twelve TAS on YouTube by DevilAzite. DevilAzite also has TASed numerous other characters in the game and once submitted a Necro TAS which got rejected for poor feedback. I think the best way for a Street Fighter 3 TAS to be published is to actually use various different characters, like SDR's X-Men vs. Street Fighter run, for example. The variety of characters used can make fighter TASes more interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Active player (372)
I went into this expecting to vote Meh, as I'm not a big fan of brawler TASses, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was short enough that it didn't get repetitive, and was entertaining enough for me to want to watch it 'till the end. Yes vote.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
Personally, I vote no for this one. The run largely keeps repeating the same 4-hit or 5-hit combo's over and over again, which was getting repetitive and boring after about two or three rounds. It doesn't really display TAS-like superhuman performance (other than the perfect parries now and then), and doesn't seem to push Street Fighter 3 to the limits like other TASes such as DevilAzite's Necro TAS do. The juggles are what makes fighting TASes interesting, and without it, it's just straightforward punching with the same short, repeated combo's until opponent after opponent goes down. For me, that stopped being interesting about two minutes in.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Skilled player (1670)
You know... I never played NG, but isn't it possible to cause damage with the rose taunt? That would be the way to go against Gill. I also found the lack of Cross counter-use (As we know, that move works once in a tournament, so why not use it once?) disappointing, and the parrying looked incredibly forced the few times it happened. As I have no idea how the arcade-emulators work, would it be possible to make a 2 Player TAS? That'd be the balls. As for now, leaning towards no.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
Cardboard wrote:
You know... I never played NG, but isn't it possible to cause damage with the rose taunt? That would be the way to go against Gill. I also found the lack of Cross counter-use (As we know, that move works once in a tournament, so why not use it once?) disappointing, and the parrying looked incredibly forced the few times it happened. As I have no idea how the arcade-emulators work, would it be possible to make a 2 Player TAS? That'd be the balls. As for now, leaning towards no.
Cross Counter takes damage, and would mean not getting perfect. This run aims to get the highest score possible 2 Player TAS is not possible as only one can win, as it starts you from the beginning
Post subject: Just boring.
Boring boring boring. I appreciate that you got a perfect on every level but you're playing as Dudley so you should be showcasing what he's capable of and that includes the counter attacks. There aren't any silly juggle combos like Dudley's low hit juggle loop, there aren't any interesting things. I mean, you even got Gill down to 1 pixel of health and then DIDN'T kill him with the ROSE. God... I was just disappointed watching this whole video. Gutter trash.
Post subject: Re: Just boring.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
remeranAuthor wrote:
Boring boring boring. I appreciate that you got a perfect on every level but you're playing as Dudley so you should be showcasing what he's capable of and that includes the counter attacks. There aren't any silly juggle combos like Dudley's low hit juggle loop, there aren't any interesting things. I mean, you even got Gill down to 1 pixel of health and then DIDN'T kill him with the ROSE. God... I was just disappointed watching this whole video. Gutter trash.
I showcased every target combo the game has to offer. Everything on his move list. I was trying to avoid juggle combos. I wanted to show a genuine Dudley TAS play instead exploiting a silly combo like you said
First off... why this Rom Choice.. and secondly.. was this even done on the hardest difficulty? And aims for highest score.. you didn't end every round with a Super, which would have elevated the score a lot more. Boring or not, there are interesting ways of weaving it into combos to nail it. Holding off voting until answers come forth to better inform. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:
First off... why this Rom Choice.. and secondly.. was this even done on the hardest difficulty? And aims for highest score.. you didn't end every round with a Super, which would have elevated the score a lot more. Boring or not, there are interesting ways of weaving it into combos to nail it. Holding off voting until answers come forth to better inform. Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Edit: Misread that. I picked New Generation, because it only has 7 fighters to go through. Not to mention not a whole lot of people have played or even heard of it Yes this was done on the hardest difficulty
Skilled player (1670)
Right, I can accept that getting a perfect doesn't grant you the perfect-bonus etc, but I feel that getting a high score isn't the best way to go in a fighting game. I do appreciate you going through the effort of actually creating this TAS though.
Warp wrote:
omg lol this is so fake!!!1 the nes cant produce music like this!
It was nice to see a Street Fighter 3 TAS that was not done with 3rd Strike. It added some variation to the visuals. I do not know if you intend to make SF3 NG movies, but if you do, I believe Oro is still waiting for his time to shine tool assisted. (Oh and everyone love Ryu too!)
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
I feel like from the Ryu fight on it got a lot better, I liked the parries and the quick target combos but it probably could be more… and a final round Gill rose kill is a must <_< wish it had less blocks, at least some juggles and better AI manipulation; also almost always ending a round with the Super (and not even its final hit) looks boring to me I’ll go with meh edit: after watching the linked Necro TAS I totally agree with the ROM choice, far too many fights otherwise… (and the graphics seem to look nicer, but that could just be due to the HD encode)
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
ALAKTORN wrote:
I feel like from the Ryu fight on it got a lot better, I liked the parries and the quick target combos but it probably could be more… and a final round Gill rose kill is a must <_< wish it had less blocks, at least some juggles and better AI manipulation; also almost always ending a round with the Super (and not even its final hit) looks boring to me I’ll go with meh edit: after watching the linked Necro TAS I totally agree with the ROM choice, far too many fights otherwise… (and the graphics seem to look nicer, but that could just be due to the HD encode)
Well for the most part many people don't know that NG Dudley is different than 3S Dudley. NG/2I Dudley resets out after certain combos, He is not capable of juggling other than one hits any other at it will just clip through the character without damage. NG Dudley plays out more like Balrog. That's probably why there is so many negative votes as they expect him to do the impossible game engine wise. Overall I guess it could've done with some minor 1 hit juggles.
Active player (434)
even though i'm a FG fan,i'm gonna vote a big NO on this one.There's no reason to limit the gameplay towards arbitrary rules like no juggles,compromising the entertainment,which is why anybody watches a FG TAS.The game surely has better chracters like ibuki and oro for this purpose.
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Active player (405)
Mothrayas wrote:
It doesn't really display TAS-like superhuman performance (other than the perfect parries now and then), and doesn't seem to push Street Fighter 3 to the limits
This exactly. A lot of time is spend waiting for them to make a move so you can counter it. There's a lot of standing around followed by combos with no in-between. In a TAS every single thing needs to be very intentional. Every moment something should be happening. If nothing's happening, make something happen. This looks more like a really good player playing Street Fighter than a superhuman carefully-orchestrated movie.
I gave it a meh. It was the same couple of combos every fight, although the last fight was somewhat interesting.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Player (12)
Taunts and EX moves were introduced in Second Impact and red parries in 3rd Strike, so the rose kill against Gill was impossible. But this makes me wonder again why you didn't pick 3rd Strike. Besides, Second Impact only has 1 more opponent and 3rd Strike 4 more opponents including the optional fight against Q. Filling up the SA gauge to use X.C.O.P.Y. indeed takes time, but even then you can just wait for the next round to use it, so it would be about half Twelve and half everybody else. As for character swapping in the middle of a playthrough without losing a match, I think it's possible through VS play but it requires the first player to immediately rematch against the second player to avoid losing its progress. If I'm correct, each character swap would require 2 VS matches. A separate "VS exhibition" category would probably be better though. I watched the encode and I'm voting no for the following reasons: - Game is not on the hardest difficulty. - Only shows off Dudley's target combos. - Almost every round looked identical. - No super-human abilities showcased. - Missing moves present from 3rd Strike. Speaking of which, I noticed that the re-record count (1925) is pretty low compared to the average published TAS. I think an entertaining Street Fighter III TAS would require a lot more time investment than your current attempt unfortunately.
Player (59)
Well for the most part many people don't know that NG Dudley is different than 3S Dudley. NG/2I Dudley resets out after certain combos, He is not capable of juggling other than one hits any other at it will just clip through the character without damage. NG Dudley plays out more like Balrog.
The lack of EX moves on NG gives Dudley less offensive options for combos, since 3S Dudley was notably a juggle character and the combination of no EX and resets does give Dudley a different play style. NG does have the best Dudley theme of the SF III era and has a British Gangster flipping the bird followed by a moonwalk in the background. 2I is the only SF III game to support true widescreen that actually looks pretty nice, 7 fights is reasonable. 2I and 3S has the parry the ball mini-game, predictable filler for a TAS run. The lack of Rose KO on Gill does hurt the run because it lacks of a signature finisher that many viewers would love to watch like Falcon Punches/The Knee from C.Falcon. I'll give this a Meh for now but I hope you'll learn the feedback from this TAS and make an even better one in the future!
greenalink.blogspot.com