Game objectives

• Emulator used: desmume-0.9.7 and Advanced Bus-Level Timing OFF
  • knock down all bosses (With Nest of Evil's bosses)
  • Aim For Fastest Time
  • Abuses Programming Errors
  • Use Warps
  • Use Multiple hits
  • Manipulates luck
  • Takes Damage To Save Time
  • Uses Game Reset Sequence

About the Run

• It aims at Knockdown quickly all the bosses who appear in a game.

tricks and glitches

Movement

Loop movement of back dash cancellation is performed in the state where the beginning has nothing.

• forward -> backdash,forward+crouch,...
7168 -> (13784+11384) / 2 = 12584

This is used in the place which acquired high speed.

• One-step high speed
  • Two-step high speed

Movement which combined high speed and a a dive kick in the place which acquired a Stone of flight is performed.

• forward+jump,forward,forward+jump,forward -> kick,blank,jump,blank,jump,blank,...
16834*4 -> (28672+28672+26272+23872+21472+19072) / 6 = 24672

Movement which used this together in the place which acquired the Griffon Wing is performed

• forward+Griffon,forward+jump,forword -> kick,blank,blank,Griffon,jump,blank,....
16834*3 -> (28672+28672+28672+26272+23872+21472)/6 = 26272

When it is earlier not to use high speed, back dash movement which used the high jump together is performed.

• backdash+griffon+kick
(13784+13232+12680+12128+11576)/5 = 12680
  • with moonwalkers
(15576+15024+14472+13920+13368)/5 = 14472

Multiple hits glitches

• If four type of Invincibility time are piled up,Since the information after the fourth kind cannot be written in a memory, it happens.

In for example, the case of Dracula

• Dracula Invincibility address 1:02101005
  • Dracula Invincibility address 2:02101006
  • Dracula Invincibility address 3:02101007

It will become the following value, if an attack (Encyclopedia) is usually put in Charotte(Partner attack) with high speed and an axe is put in Jonathan by the minimum loss.

• Dracula Invincibility address 1:02101005;30
  • Dracula Invincibility address 2:02101006;27
  • Dracula Invincibility address 3:02101007;16

If Jonathan's attack is put in this state, only the time with which the memory address is buried will carry out a multiple hits. In this case, In this case, it hits 16 times.However, the axe can put an ax in operating an orbit well twice. In this case, since it can lengthen to 32 during the Invincibility time of an axe, only 27 of high speed can be made to hit.

Train Through glitches

• The glitches in which a partner will through a train if the train of 13th street is pushed in the state where it does not have push cube. If it changes well, it will escape from a train.

Routes

• From here, it goes into a hidden picture first and clears all. Acquisition of that this secures funds in Qwest of Thief Ring and a high jump, and an Owl Morph is the purpose.
  • Although the last Brauner should be made behind, since Stella & Loretta event is not completed and it does not have sanctualy, either, it cannot escape. It has escaped by the route which Knock Down Brauner for this reason and goes to the highest floor.
  • Next, Thief Ring is sold off, funds are secured and it bought by the Shop point required for a magical ticket appearance. Spiked Mail is bought simultaneously. spiked mail extends the Invincibility time of a high jump and a kick by 3 times.
  • City of Haze is cleared and it returns by magical ticket. holy claymore is bought simultaneously with it and it equips with spiked mail and Moonwalker.
  • It cleared in order of Sandy Crave and Nation of Fools after that.In Sandy Crave, sanctualy is also acquired simultaneously with clear. Although it is originally impossible to perform this simultaneously, it will become possible if owl marph is used.
  • Stella and Death are defeated using the warp point of Sandy Crave.Indispensable events are collected at the same time as it returns using magical ticket.
  • Forest of Doom is cleared and it returns by magical ticket. and buys Vouge simultaneously used by the recovery item and the Richter battle.
  • Using a warp glitches, it moves to Nest of Evil and Cleared. In Nest of Evil, Berserker Mail is also acquired to Richter battle.
  • Behemoth made into behind for recovery is Knock down.
  • Sanctualy, Berserker Mail, and Vouge are equipped in front of Stella & Loretta's entrance.
  • Stella & Loretta is Knock Down by sancturly.
  • Richter is beaten by the set of Vouge and Berserker Mail. Since Vouge has an Darkness attribute, it can attack Richter specially. Furthermore, offensive strength is strengthened with Berserker Mail.
  • Death & Doracula Battle.
  • Movie End after message "Data has been saved."

Author's Encode

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: This is a very nice, very fast paced run. It's clear that a lot of effort has been put into route planning, and the movement and bossfights are masterfully executed. Accepting the run as a new category for this game.

natt: procesing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
Simply amazing. This is an incredibly nice run. Clear yes vote for me. The only thing that's questionable is the goal choice. Portrait of Ruin already has opportunities for a lot of categories, I'm not sure "all bosses" fits in too well with that. Doesn't make the run less amazing, though.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
desmoom 0.9.7 32 bert, advanced bush level trimming off
 File: Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin.nds
CRC-32: 96df4c4d
   MD4: ee67a87e45a195041fd490c5837a1f2c
   MD5: 2edd57540cae45842fbd19c45a4214f9
 SHA-1: 382602e3615b2282eead584014125e71b5b0f033
Editor
Someone mind cleaning up the description so that it makes more sense?
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Just for once I'd like to see a Portrait of Ruin run that doesn't use out-of-bounds exploits. The run itself was very nice though, and it's nice to see a bit more of the game. Yes vote.
Mothrayas wrote:
The only thing that's questionable is the goal choice. Portal of Ruin already has opportunities for a lot of categories, I'm not sure "all bosses" fits in too well with that. Doesn't make the run less amazing, though.
I'd view this as being the "100%" run of the game -- all of the major accomplishments are performed. I guess a more strict 100% would require completing all of the quests as well, but that'd be frankly rather dull since most of them are "go fight this rare monster", "go find these obscure items", or "go master this subweapon".
scrimpeh wrote:
Just for once I'd like to see a Portrait of Ruin run that doesn't use out-of-bounds exploits.
Agreed. I would say that an all-bosses run that doesn't use the suspend glitch should be able to obsolete this run. The purpose of an all-bosses run is to show off "all" of the game; skipping merrily about the levels without regards for the solidity of the walls subverts that. That said, figuring out how to handle the Nest of Evil would be difficult, since its normal unlock requirement is not very entertaining (requiring you to have mapped 90% of the game). Anyway, the run was entertaining. Speed Up + the jumpkick move makes for some absurdly fast movement. It would have been nice if the downtime hadn't mostly been spent on Charlotte's idle pose though. At least let Jonathan do his air guitar!
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Noxxa
They/Them
scrimpeh wrote:
Just for once I'd like to see a Portrait of Ruin run that doesn't use out-of-bounds exploits.
Derakon wrote:
Agreed. I would say that an all-bosses run that doesn't use the suspend glitch should be able to obsolete this run. The purpose of an all-bosses run is to show off "all" of the game; skipping merrily about the levels without regards for the solidity of the walls subverts that. That said, figuring out how to handle the Nest of Evil would be difficult, since its normal unlock requirement is not very entertaining (requiring you to have mapped 90% of the game).
I'd think if a Richter run (or even Old Axe Armor run) gets made, it would fill the "non-suspend glitch all bosses" part just fine for the most part (although a number of bosses are still skippable, and Nest of Evil...well...yeah but it isn't necessary for game completion either way). A warpless Jonathan+Charlotte run would just mostly do the same things Richter and such do, although it would take longer due to a more forced route that requires going through just about every part of the castle (and without Speed Up or Final Sword either as you only get those near the end of the game normally). So I think a Richter run would be better to have than a warpless Jonathan run.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Techokami
He/Him
All I could think of while watching this blazing fast collection of jumps and stabs is this: Yes vote!
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
I thought there was one more boss at the Nest...that guy with the talisman on his face. Am I remembering incorrectly or does it not show up on the first time though?
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Noxxa
They/Them
Sir VG wrote:
I thought there was one more boss at the Nest...that guy with the talisman on his face. Am I remembering incorrectly or does it not show up on the first time though?
I think you are thinking of the Jiang Shi from Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. ...yeah, that's another game.
Uh, that doesn't sound familiar to me. Perhaps you're thinking of the Large Cavern in Order of Ecclesia? The final boss of that section is a Chinese hopping vampire. Though I don't think he has a talisman on his face... All of the bosses in the Nest of Evil are ripped from previous games, except for the double Frankenstein's Monster fight and the mirror boss at the end. EDIT: ninja'd by Mothrayas. Shows what I get for spending the time to track down YouTube videos so I could remember what the hopping boss looks like.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Ok, sometimes elements from one CV game bleed into the memory of another. Guess that's what happens when they reuse elements and ideas so much. ^^;;
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Don't feel bad. I was expecting Jiang Shi too. And for the same reason. And yeah, he did have a seal on his face. That was his gimmick. If you hit him with a stray attack after you had won then you'd break the paper seal on face and you'd have to fight him again. (And again, and again, if you wanted to.) But that's OoE. I voted yes, and surprisingly yes for goal choice. The goal choice is kind of iffy but I agree with Derakon that this is the best "see 100% of the game" goal choice. I also would like to see it done without suspending through walls. But would this run be as good without it? This movie is a solid 20 minutes of action action ACTION!! And I love that. But it's pretty much only possible because of the early Speed Up and Griffon Wing. P.S. Wait, rewind, how did he kill Dullahan so fast? How is he taking damage on his body? oh. Oh yeah, this isn't HoD. >_<
gocha
Any
Emulator Coder, Former player
Though it's questionable about the goal choice, the run is well-optimized and it looks entertaining. I voted yes. 新作のご予定はありますか?期待しています!ヾ(>ヮ<*)
I am usually available on Discord server or Twitter.
Skilled player (1262)
Mothrayas wrote:
Simply amazing. This is an incredibly nice run. Clear yes vote for me. The only thing that's questionable is the goal choice. Portrait of Ruin already has opportunities for a lot of categories, I'm not sure "all bosses" fits in too well with that. Doesn't make the run less amazing, though.
Yes. Although I would also like to look at 100%run, when it is considered as any%, we are anxious about a possibility that this will also become a repetition of an almost warp. Therefore, although it is necessary to impose goal choice of No Warp, it becomes very late to acquire High Speed in this case. In that case, it seemed that overall speediness is missing. If it was right, the result of having considered what kind of goal choice being imposed was all bosses. If it is this, the necessity of going to places various also with warp comes out, and high speed can also be acquired at an early stage. This is a reason for having carried out roundabout goal choice.
Skilled player (1262)
gocha wrote:
Though it's questionable about the goal choice, the run is well-optimized and it looks entertaining. I voted yes. 新作のご予定はありますか?期待しています!ヾ(>ヮ<*)
"はい。次は以前にテストランしたギャラリーオブラビリンスのリヒターモードを最適化しようかと考えています。SRAM作成用のdsmとしてこの全ボス討伐TASを利用する予定です。 それと、私もgochaさんの奪われた刻印TASが完成するのを期待しています!ヾ(>ヮ<*)" Yes. Next, I think that I wish I can optimize TAS of Portrait of Ruin which carried out the testrun before. This all bosses TAS is due to be used as dsm for SRAM creation. I am also making it expectation that gocha's Order of Ecclesia Shanoa TAS is completed XD.
Outside of the endless suspending... [Hate that, even thought I know it's fastest], I absolutely loved this! Seeing even the Nest of Evil taken down brings a smile to my face. This was genuinely entertaining! Definite Yes vote from me! Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Noxxa
They/Them
Screenshot suggestion: It's fun to see the entirely messed up castle map from all the sequence breaking. Also, there are so many numbers on screen that it made some of the lifebar graphics disappear. Though if we're going with a single screen image, here's an alternative suggestion: I think those numbers clearly show there's something quite unusual going on.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Mothrayas wrote:
Screenshot suggestion: http://i.imgur.com/zBRSt.png It's fun to see the entirely messed up castle map from all the sequence breaking. Also, there are so many numbers on screen that it made some of the lifebar graphics disappear. Though if we're going with a single screen image, here's an alternative suggestion: http://i.imgur.com/jmMPu.png I think those numbers clearly show there's something quite unusual going on.
Don't DS games normally use both screens for the publication screenshot anyway? In any case, I love the number spam and the screwy castle map that results from the Suspend glitch, so I'd go for the former screenshot.
Noxxa
They/Them
scrimpeh wrote:
Don't DS games normally use both screens for the publication screenshot anyway?
It varies. Some do, some don't, and there doesn't seem to be any particular pattern or reasoning as to which ones do and do not. (The current PoR TAS has one screen, for instance, while the current DoS TAS has both)
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
scrimpeh wrote:
Don't DS games normally use both screens for the publication screenshot anyway?
/shrug Some do, some don't. http://tasvideos.org/Movies-DS.html
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
This TAS shattered the bounds of reality. Nothing makes sense anymore. Also, Peking Duck? Jamon Iberico? Yes vote.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2082] DS Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin "all bosses" by mtbRc in 25:19.52
Damn, the sound of the encoded MKV is insanely loud. I almost died when I heard SHOWTIME!
A great playthrough, perfect even... if it had no glitched warping. Not to sure about a no glitch warping run with a different player character, I would rather such a run with the default characters if at all possible. All Boss Any% and All Boss, No Out Of Bounds 90% could be 2 kinds of playthroughs.
Ryzen 3700X, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard, 32GB 3600MHz RAM, MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB, Windows 10 Pro x64 http://tasvideos.org/Nach/FranpaAlert.html