Post subject: Castlevania
YoungJ1997lol
He/Him
Player (53)
Castlevania has a N64 game? Why, yes it does. That seems like an interesting game to tas.
So yea, how's it going? Currently TASing: Nothing
Editor, Experienced player (730)
Those are some very nice discoveries. Would he be interested in making a TAS for this game? he seems to know the mechanics of it very well.
Homepage ☣ Retired
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
[1362] N64 Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness "Henry" by zggzdydp in 14:00.97 For reference, Ziggy already made a run of the, to my knowledge, very similar Legacy of Darkness. I'd love to see more exploits from the game.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Damn, almost makes me wanna pull out my N64 again. Nice stuff!
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Former player
I was bored and felt like TASing something after a LONG hiatus. Those tricks on Youtube are quite handy. The "Z Slope Jump" was particularly useful. In fact, I discovered in Stage 1's major shortcut you can flat out avoid fall damage with that trick combined with bouncing off certain objects (in this case a torch). This is great because you avoid a rather lengthy fall damage animation, so I imagine it will be useful in many places. I also discovered you can instant kill the mini boss in the stage in a rather hilarious way. Here is my WIP so far using Reinhardt. I'm using the 1.2 US rom. I tried a long time to try to manipulate 2 Power Ups from the Skeletons before the Big Skeleton boss. I couldn't get them both to drop :(. I will need to redo this part if I continue this. I believe I would save something like 4 hits on him. I need a memory address I suppose to find out what affects drops. I may continue this if there's enough interest. I always thought it was a shame this under rated game was not done. Edit: The problem with getting two Whip Power Ups before the boss is that it doesn't look like it's possible without delaying some so far. If you rush as fast as possible to the door only 2 out of the 3 Skeletons follow you. The third Skeleton disappears off screen. I've only managed to get 2 Power Ups while killing all three. I watched Star Slash Dash's old cancelled movie and he kills the third and lures the other two. Hopefully I can find a way to get it off the 2 Skeletons. It's kinda an minor thing I guess,but it's still annoying...
Working on: Command and Conquer PSX Nod Campaign
Active player (432)
Pleasure seeing you here again Ogre :) Missed you and our days when we tased Wonderboy, which needs a facelift ^_^
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Editor, Experienced player (852)
OgreSlayeR wrote:
I may continue this if there's enough interest. I always thought it was a shame this under rated game was not done.
I'm highly interested to see more WIPs from you.
Former player
Yay! I was able to lure that third Skeleton at the start by not wasting a ton of time and therefore was able to have a fully powered whip for the boss. Apparently the Skeleton won't disappear off screen if you stand in the right place by the boss door. It makes no sense, but whatever. Here is my new WIP beating phase 1 of the boss if anyone is curious. For some reason you can get a quick 3rd round on him by jumping underneath him. This obviously saves a cycle of him running a screen away and back before he is vulnerable to damage again. It only works on the 2nd round for some reason. Anyway, I'll post my next WIP when I actually make decent progress. If anyone knows any glitches or anything other than mentioned please say so. I also wish I knew how the RNG works for item drops... Good to see you too Angerfist. :P Edit: Starting over again. I saved around 2 seconds on the boss by minimizing his moment more.
Former player
I forgot how much a pain in the ass the time system is in this game... I need to meet Rosa between 3:00-5:59 am to get the key. Ideally I would probably want to get there around 4-5ish as the Vampires will be weakened when it hits 6:00. I have to use the Moon Card at some point in first stage. The trick is knowing when to use it. Only thing I know to do is play ahead a bit and try to estimate when the optimized version will get there...
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
I would say use it right away, since if you time it correctly you should reach Rosa just before 6AM (almost 12 hours of in-game time). I think you should be able to reach that spot in time.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Former player
I think I understand how item drops work now. I learned this early on with trying to get those whip power ups from those 2 Skeletons. It seems each enemy has an item list of a of 3-4 or so. Obviously if the item you want isn't on their list you're not getting it. It doesn't appear you can influence it either other than getting the item you want from their list. I was trying to get Holy Water from the few waiting periods in stage 1 and it was impossible unfortunately. Luckily there is a candle that's not really out of the way I can get. I will need it for the Twin Dragons in stage 2 and Holy Water is by far the most effective sub weapon in the game. Luckily it seems Red Crystals are a very common drop on enemies item lists, so I will definitely stock up in every waiting period as I'm sure I'll be using it a lot. Edit: One thing I'm curious about is skipping the Sun Card in the first stage. I only need it for the door right before the castle center. Theoretically I could make it to the door while it's still daylight and that would be pretty shitty. That's something not easily tested though.
Former player
I've decided to start over on the 1.0 rom and also with Carrie. My reasons are: 1. 1.2 rom fixes some of the glitches. (mainly the slope jump and possibly out of bounds stuff.) 2. Carrie moves a bit faster than Reinhardt and can make some jumps he can't. 3. Her levels are better. For example, I can skip most of Underground Waterway with tricks. Reinhardt's level is literally stuck on rails for the whole level and there is no way skip it. It would be quite boring. 4. Possibly lower total time and definitely more entertainment imo. The only other difference between Reinhardt and Carrie is he doesn't have to charge his attack so he can do bosses slightly faster. Slightly cause Carrie doesn't take long to charge her attacks. I've been running an unoptimized version atm for planning reasons. So far I've discovered the Sun Card isn't needed as you get to the Sun door in the Waterway that leads to the Castle Center with plenty of time. I can grab 2 in the Castle Center that are right in the way so it's no big deal if I need them. I would only need them for boss fight purposes depending on my time. I'm not sure if they affect all bosses yet. I know it does for Dracula and Vampire enemies. I need to test this. I've been trying to find a way to skip the whole Nitro carry part, but It doesn't look possible so far. That would definitely make the run more fluid if I can do it.. Edit: Although not the ideal solution yet. I discovered you can skip the really boring cogwheel part when holding the nitro. If you run against it in a certain spot you get pushed up to the ground above it and can run straight to the door. This probably saves a minute or so of tedious stuff. This is a start at least.
I didn't know there were multiple versions of the game. I think I have a 1.0 cart, what changed in 1.1 and 1.2??? Also speaking of versions anybody know if these tricks work in Legacy of Darkness? Would that be the better version of the game to TAS or run? (even though it may be longer) Also I accidently skipped the really long lizardman text by activating two textboxes at the same time I think http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright/b/327217016 I got the key without the long textbox.
Former player
AFAIK the only differences is certain glitches are fixed in 1.2. As for LoD I have no idea nor do I have interest in that game currently. Reinhardt and Carrie require SRAM for LoD so that's not very ideal. I would love to see somebody do a Cornell run though. The Henry run doesn't show enough of the game. Ideally a Carrie run in this version and Cornell in LoD should be good enough for this site. I don't think a Reinhardt run would add much since it's the same game just more boring levels and he is a slower character. I'll leave those runs for other people if they want to do them. I'm guessing nobody will be interested though.
Former player
Stage 1 complete. Feedback would be appreciated. I have to say 3D TASing is annoying as I thought it would be. Definitely doesn't help this game has stuff controls and terrible camera angles at times. If you're wondering why I didn't shoot the Holy Water torch from afar is cause the stupid game had me locked on that Skeleton far away and couldn't fire straight.
Former player
Stage 2 Complete. It seems the LGG (ledge grab glitch) works on every ledge that can be grabbed so that's pretty cool. Other than the annoying boss and having the wait for one spike platform in tower two this went smooth. My ingame time is 1:45, so I should be okay on Rosa.
Former player
Due to lack in interest in part in myself and it seems other people (I'm like the only one posting here..it doesn't seem like anyone has watched my WIP, or at least cared to comment.) I'm putting this on possibly indefinite hiatus. Here is my current WIP. It completes almost all of the Castle Center. If anyone else wants to continue this feel free to use my input or at the very least it should serve as a good benchmark.
Well, for what it's worth, I've been following the thread and am interested... I just don't have the ability to view your m64s where I am. I hope you pick up the project again in the future, though I understand where you're coming from.
I will not use self-reference in my signature.
Don't jump to the wrong conclusions! There definitely are people wanting to see this, and I am one of them. I am not able to watch m64s, though, so I can't comment on your WIP. But if there were encodes, I'd love to see them! So, anyway, I hope you don't quit this. And even if you, I wish you all the luck and hope that you continue this at a later date!
I'll encode/upload this WIP asap. Don't give up!
Former player
Well, I was always told to finish what I start. I would definitely appreciate an encode if it means people can watch it. I guess I shouldn't assume other people can watch it in the emulator. I had a bad day too, but enough about that. I will probably start over from the Villa as I'm pretty sure I can improve a few things and definitely in the Castle Center. I was having trouble near the end of the WIP in the lizard room coming back. So far the only way to avoid them coming back is to run the opposite way till they disappear to avoid fighting them. I'm still trying to find a better way to avoid them if there's any. Edit: Also I couldn't get the lizard man text box glitch to work. It's possible I was doing it wrong or it takes time to set up. If that's the case it may not have a use here.
I rarely post, but I'm interested. When this thread was created I watched all of the YT links in the first post. It looks like a pretty good game! I guess I'm surprised because I've only heard bad things about 3D CV games. Since I've never played this game I'd love to see a TAS. Lots of people have NES or SNES emulators on the computers. (Or phones, or PSPs, or toasters, etc.) Many fewer people have an N64 emulator already installed and ready to play with a large ROM library. I don't think the unwillingness to download emulators and roms for most WIPs makes me lazy. So although I care, I can wait for the encode. As long as you don't quit!
Sweet! Alright, can't wait for next WIP! Good luck with the run!
Post subject: YouTube'd WIP
YouTube'd! Link to video