Tony Hawk's Pro Skater is the first game in a now extensive series of 10+ games that are still being created and released to this day. It was first released for the Playstation on September 30, 1999, and later ported to the Nintendo 64 and Sega Dreamcast. "Primitive" by today's Tony Hawk control standards, this game utilizes flip tricks, grab tricks, grinds, and special tricks, which can be done on street ramps, vert ramps, rails, and all sorts of other objects.

Game Objectives

• Emulator used: Mupen64 0.5 rerecording v8
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Genre: Sport
  • Brings back 2000's memories
  • Rips your childhood apart
Here are the three main tricks used in this run:

Grinding

Grinding usually adds to your speed. This is why I jump many times on the same rail to reach optimal speed. Upward rails give speed faster than downward rails for some reason.

Wallriding

While wallriding, you can jump a second time to reach higher areas.

Jumping

Jumping keeps most of your speed. I abuse this technique a lot in this run.

Comments

This is a 93 frames improvement over my previous run. The time saved comes from better strategies in Skate Park Chicago and Burnside Portland.

Stage by Stage Comments

Please see the previous submission.

Suggested screenshots

[dead link removed]

turska: Accepting as an improvement to the published movie.
Guga: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3663: Nahoc's N64 Tony Hawk's Pro Skater in 05:08.08
Yes vote! Great planning and awesome TAS. Game objectives are also cool.
Active player (419)
thanks for this. can we get video upload of it? its kind of problematic for me to get actual game itself.
Guga
He/Him
CobraSmurf wrote:
can we get video upload of it? its kind of problematic for me to get actual game itself.
Sure.
What is the reason for the nollie at the end of each competition run? Is there a game exploit here or is it point based and nollie is the fastest move?
Guga wrote:
CobraSmurf wrote:
can we get video upload of it? its kind of problematic for me to get actual game itself.
Sure.
thanks.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Nice improvement. I like the new Burnside Portland levels. Yes vote.
Tub
Yes vote.
SubtleFlex wrote:
What is the reason for the nollie at the end of each competition run?
IIRC you want to avoid ending a run when a high score is being displayed at the bottom of your screen, though I don't remember why. Just doing a quick trick after the combo allows you to gain points, thus starting a new combo and erasing the old combo display.
m00
I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you end competition right after combo, the notes are very low, but if you do another trick, game recalculates points faster, so you can end your run sooner.
Editor, Experienced player (852)
Fusik wrote:
I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you end competition right after combo, the notes are very low, but if you do another trick, game recalculates points faster, so you can end your run sooner.
Actually, no. The game doesn't account your points until you completely land a trick. I do another trick right after to get my points counted (and since the last trick isn't worth landing or anything, I just do a quick nollie). If you just land your big trick and end competition, the game will go in that semi-dark state where the points just slowly go down (looking like the game is 'compiling' your points) and this takes time. I hope my explanation makes sense. tl;dr: nollie at the end is necessary.
So it is some kind of lag reduction, right? Interesting, never knew about it.
Not really lag reduction; more like skipping a score tally.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
When you land a big combo, sometimes it will take a long time to tally up the points. When you start a new combo, it immediately applies the points from the old combo instead of counting down. It takes less time to count down a lower score combo.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2088] N64 Tony Hawk's Pro Skater by Nahoc in 05:08.08