Submission Text Full Submission Page
New Super Mario Bros. Is a DS game published by Nintendo in 2006. This game reuses the basic controls, powerups and objects found in the original Super Mario Bros. for NES. However, it adds a few powerups, such as:
The Blue Koopa Shell, a shell that Mario can use to hide in and become invincible,
The Mini Mushroom, a mushroom that makes Mario tiny, allows him to jump very high and to run on water,
And the Mega Mushroom, that makes mario huge for a limited period of time.
This TAS aims to complete the game without using any cannons. However, I use secret paths to:
- Skip levels (But not worlds),
- Unlock World 7 instead of 6. This is because world 6 has many levels that I can't skip, while World 7 has less levels and more skips.
Emulator used: DeSMuME x64 0.9.8
Goals:
  • Complete the game as fast as possible (obviously)
  • Don't use warps (Cannons)
  • Use every new powerup (Blue Koopa Shell, Mini Mushroom and Mega mushroom) at least once

Comments

While watching the existing TAS on this game, which beats the game in 21:01 minutes, I noticed how the maker used the cannons to skip a big part of the game. So, I decided to TAS the game myself, and see if I could get a good time. However, I want people to see more of the game, so I decided not to use cannons in this run. I was surprised to see I could finish the run in under an hour, spending an average of 10 min. per world.
I could probably improve my run by a few minutes, but since it was my first time TASing with DeSMuME, I wasn't used to all the tools.

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Hello WinEpic, and welcome to TASVideos. Unfortunately, I'll have to reject your movie. The movie has many mistakes throughout the run, which is especially noticable when comparing times with the same stages played in the any% run. In some stages, in World 8 in particular, you lose upwards of 30 seconds in some stages, which is far too much to be considered acceptable. From just watching the play, it looks generally not optimized, as many mistakes are plainly visible and some strange choices are made (such as getting a Mega Mushroom right before the final stage, which takes a minute to get, but does not actually save any time; compare the final boss battle to the any% run). Because of all these flaws, I'll have to reject this run.
Better luck next time!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3668: WinEpic's DS New Super Mario Bros. "No Cannons" in 57:00.46
TheKDX7
He/Him
Player (115)
a warpless run? why not
i'd like an encode if possible thanks.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Voted no due to not being capless and coinless as well.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Editor
Is it just me, or is this run slower (in the levels both runs complete) then the published run? Edit: Changed the wording. I am a native English speaker and even I make mistakes. It happens.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Funny. I was literally thinking yesterday (What if someone did a warpless run on NSMB on DS?) Wow, that was the most unexpected. Definite yes vote.
If you want to see some of my TASes, http://www.youtube.com/ltrp300
Post subject: Re: #3668: WinEpic's DS New Super Mario Bros. "No Cannons" in 57:00.46
I feel a little concerned when the author writes, "I could probably improve my run by a few minutes..." A few minutes is a lot of time. Wouldn't it be better to keep it on the bench until you feel you've optimized it as much as possible? There's no rush to get something published.
Former player
Voting no for obvious reasons. The idea is great and all, but if you're behind the published run by a whopping 4 in-game seconds at the end of the second level... It's not exactly something I want to see published. :/
www.youtube.com/user/ptorflaxendrosis
Experienced player (647)
Reall bad optimized. Voted no.
arflech
He/Him
Indeed, this would work much better as a WIP than as a submission.
i imgur com/QiCaaH8 png
I was giddy and excited to see a warpless run of this game. Then I actually watched it. Today was a sad day for this hellcat. A very sad day indeed.
This is only a little obsessive.
Havent' watched it yet, I'll wait for the encode probably. BUt 1616 rerecords, that's like a 30 second TAS for me. And this is like what, 57 minutes? I'll hold my vote til' I see the encode.
Hurr Durr.
Editor
I hope you will work on improving this. I want to see a good run of this.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Unoptimized, no vote. Also, 1616 rerecords is too low. You need to take your time and optimize a run like this before submitting it. I would be interested in an optimized run of this category, or even better, a warpless run.
Tub
I cannot comment on the optimization, but the "No Cannons"-choice rubs me the wrong way. Either do it as fast as possible, or do the full 100% run with all levels. Accepting one kind of level-skipping feature but not another just seems arbitrary. Waiting for an encode before voting.
m00
Tub wrote:
Either do it as fast as possible, or do the full 100% run with all levels. Accepting one kind of level-skipping feature but not another just seems arbitrary.
Actually I've seen some examples like that which are pretty decent around the site. I don't really see how being just a bit arbitrary is wrong as long as it still has a logical reason to be accepted. An example of this can be found here http://tasvideos.org/2062M.html
Hurr Durr.
Another example of an "arbitrary" restriction are Sonic "no zips" runs. I like the "no cannons" restriction. I also like Mario TASes. Despite the "unoptimized" nature, this was still a rather enjoyable run for me. I'm going to stop "gratuitously" using "double quotes" "now".
Tub
By default, the categories are any%, 100% and (if breaking glitches exist) some kind of unglitched any%. SM64 "70 stars, no BLJ" is accepted for three reasons: * 70 stars is what the game demands, thus it has always been an accepted category in this game, making this the unglitched any% category. * in SM64 you can choose which 70 of the 120 stars to collect, with very few restrictions. Picking just the fastest stars is a good thing for an entertaining run. * BLJ wasn't banned to show more of the game, but because it looks ugly when abused too often. Also, it's the unglitched any%. The special category is justified. Most importantly, it's acceptable because it offers substantial differences to both the 100% and any% categories. In this NSMB DS, you don't get to pick the fastest levels, but essentially a random subset, and you end up with a total number of levels that bears no importance at all. I'd compare that situation to super mario world (and its hacks), where all existing runs are either low% or fully 100%. Unless a "No cannons"-run is significantly different from a 100% run (and I don't think it is), IMHO only one category should be accepted, and that's usually the 100% one because it's less arbitrary. Now you'll bring up the warpless SMB3 run. Again, I think the special category is ok there because (unless a true 100%), it can show off the item system and the extensive route planning such an item system entails. Again, I haven't watched this submission, so I may be misinformed about NSMB DS. My point is that a run on an unusual category should require some justification; the category choices should be made for the benefit of the run, and not just because the author felt like it.
m00
Player (59)
-Typed on a 3DS btw- NSMB 'no cannons' is basically a SMB 3 warpless run. A warpless run of this game can only go through 6 out of 8 worlds. W3 vs W4 and W6 vs W7. A 100% run of this requires collecting and spending 240 star coins, clear all 80 stages, find all cannons and secret exits (W5-Castle secret exit is NOT required as both that exit and W4-cannon unlocks World 7. W4-cannon is higher priority than W5-Castle alt exit in terms of unlocking the 3 star next to the player's file (100%))
greenalink.blogspot.com
Editor, Player (44)
This is a valid category: unlike 100%, it doesn't require hunting for star coins. So it's seeing a reasonable number of the levels completed as fast as possible, something that doesn't exist in other categories. (It's thus a little more different from 100% than, say, SMB3 no-whistles, which is a very similar category.) I have a feeling that this run is unoptimised, though. My instant reaction simply upon seeing the time was "that feels too slow for TAS warpless", and other people's comments are making me feel that's right. (Waiting on an encode before I come to a real judgement on that.)
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Encode downloadable from Sendspace.com (~235MB). Click on link in the blue box below the filesize. Don't click on any other buttons; those are ads. http://www.sendspace.com/file/oke2ns The actual time of the TAS should be around 51:42.
Dwedit
He/Him
Didn't we already have a skip-entire-the-game run of this game?
While I do want to see a warpless run of this game, your run is not up to snuff. I would hope that of the levels you play that are the same levels the published run does, you should get the same or better times.
Editor
Desyncs for me after the first stage.
Editor
henke37, you need to enable "Advanced Bus-Level Timing" If it is enabled, are you using 0.9.8? What is the SHA1 of the ROM file? My hash is: A22713711B5CD58DFBAFC9688DADEA66C59888CE