Submission Text Full Submission Page

The Emulator

I used Dolphin v3.0-758, which can be find here. Here is the /User/config folder.

The game

Hey there !
Billy Hatcher is an extremely colorful platformer/puzzle game made by the Sonic Team. It had a great and long solo (very long if you wanted to get 100%) and had an awesome multiplayer mode.
The gameplay of this game is simple : you can jump, run, and take an egg with which you can roll, bounce, dash... And many other combination. If you feed the egg with the fruits found by beating ennemies/on the ground/by breaking boxes, it will grow and then you will be able to hatch it and give you a special ability. There are 72 kinds of egg in this game.

The run

This run aims to complete Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg in as little a time as possible.
As said before, this is a Sonic Team game, and as all of their game, the level design can be totally broken, which is basically what happens in this video. Most of the shortcuts were found by ion12, mrbuu423 and Sonikkustar (but I actually discovered his shortcuts without watching his videos, but I guess I should credit him anyway :) ). Else, there are no glitch. I think all the tricks are really obvious :)
Hope you enjoyed it !

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3689: STBM's GC Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg in 1:15:52.55
Post subject: Re: #3689: STBM's GC Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg in 1:15:52.55
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
Thanks for the temp encode. Unfortunately it appears to have the usual Dolphin level of AV sync. But we can fix that.
TASVideoAgent wrote:
I used Dolphin v3.0-758
Hmm... that's this, right? http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/source/detail?r=90af798d3d9e26d1fb588127242e767ef24c5eec
Active player (318)
Oh sorry, I forgot to contact you before... The movie does not sync with the current build of the A/V hack.
Hmm... that's this, right? http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/source/detail?r=90af798d3d9e26d1fb588127242e767ef24c5eec
It seems to be the same yes. http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/download.html?log=90af798d3d9e26d1fb588127242e767ef24c5eec
Player (186)
Nice job! When i get the chance Ill watch more than the first 10 minutes. Yes vote from me.
Editor
Poor game, it didn't have a chance to defend itself against all that spatial abuse.
Editor
Sonic Team, we can't make a good level. Is it just me, or are the Crows from this game, seemingly the same as the Gremlins in Spiral Knights? Different developers but it has that shared feeling.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
hegyak wrote:
Sonic Team, we can't make a good level. Is it just me, or are the Crows from this game, seemingly the same as the Gremlins in Spiral Knights? Different developers but it has that shared feeling.
Three Rings is owned by Sega, so it's always possible.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
New AVSync branch for this submission: https://github.com/nattthebear/dolphin-avsync/tree/3689S Downloadable binaries: https://github.com/nattthebear/dolphin-avsync/downloads I haven't synced it through all the way yet, but it appears to be working. From my usual config, I had to change Gamecube Slot A from "Memory Card" to "<Nothing>" before it would sync. I'll save the rant on a movie format that doesn't store the required starting state for sync internally for another day.
  File: BillyHatcher.iso
CRC-32: d93ad446
   MD4: d118594c2561430344073ef6d52c2275
   MD5: b1e5d16e9d507727ffff234f2382c0ea
 SHA-1: 4bb7a5cb9a22d8bbcfb2b5d968535bb601db2dbd
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
gamerfreak5665 wrote:
When i get the chance Ill watch more than the first 10 minutes. Yes vote from me.
Ok wut
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Editor
Cooljay wrote:
Three Rings is owned by Sega, so it's always possible.
Three Rings was recently acquired by Sega.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Active player (318)
@natt -> I have the same md5 and SHA-1.... I guess it's the same game then. It should sync without problem !
Editor, Experienced player (608)
NitroGenesis wrote:
gamerfreak5665 wrote:
When i get the chance Ill watch more than the first 10 minutes. Yes vote from me.
Ok wut
He means he's too busy now to watch the whole run, and he'll watch the rest when he has time.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
CoolKirby wrote:
NitroGenesis wrote:
gamerfreak5665 wrote:
Ok wut
He means he's too busy now to watch the whole run, and he'll watch the rest when he has time.
Well yeah I knew that, but that was a little hasty to vote. Like 10 minutes isn't that much to base a vote on for 1h15m run.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Never played this game before myself, but I was able to understand the basics of what was going on by reading the description and watching the video. I particularly liked the optimized boss battles, but I was also able to appreciate the work done in the stages. Despite not knowing anything about routes in this game, I spotted several places where I knew large chunks of stages were skipped entirely. This also, if I am right, stands to be the first GameCube publication on the site, and as such I am further pressed to say yes just because of that. This was an enjoyable run to watch, all things considered. Going ahead and voting Yes.
1/60 of a second is important; every frame matters.
Having not played the game, I can't make any firm judgement, but the run looks good and entertaining. Seems to have borrowed a lot of elements from Super Mario 64 (and later ones). As far as the "broken levels", I think the Sonic team has usually taken the stance that players can have fun with their game any way they want and don't try to hard to railroad what the player does (as an example, they licensed the game geni for their system, fully supporting it, while Nintendo forbid it).
Active player (318)
Thanks natt for the A/V hack :D But I don't have enough internet left to upload a new file that big. So I won't be able to make another encode, sorry about that !
Active player (432)
What I would like to know is, as far as I am concerned, you started this run less than a month ago. How can you submit a long 3D run like this when you haven't fully investigated potential routes, explored various glitches, hunting for new tricks etc. I am very doubtful this run is well planned and optimized.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Active player (266)
Nice submission again, STBM! Since I don't have time to watch your run now, I'll rate it later. By the way, you just labelled Gamecube as 'GC' on the title, but I think displaying full name of Gamecube will be better(like "STBM's Gamecube Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg in 1:15:52.55 "). The abbreviation 'GC' is actually similar to GBC(Game Boy Color), so it may be misunderstood by visitors. At least I did.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Odongdong wrote:
By the way, you just labelled Gamecube as 'GC' on the title, but I think displaying full name of Gamecube will be better(like "STBM's Gamecube Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg in 1:15:52.55 "). The abbreviation 'GC' is actually similar to GBC(Game Boy Color), so it may be misunderstood by visitors. At least I did.
The site name it automatically.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Active player (318)
@AngerFist -> Yup, I start to work on it right after World of Goo. I tried at each level to found new shortcut, with different size of eggs, and I did found some. I also don't use death as a shortcut, as the speedrun does... But yes, I have to admit I didn't look at all the levels (actually, I did at the beginning of the run, but then I quickly start to follow blindly what the speedrunners made). So should I do all the levels, see the times, and try to make a route out of this ? That should be possible actually, and as you say it would take more than a month :p EDIT : Note though that I was really motivated to make this TAS and that I spend some night in it. Don't think that I didn't put any effort on it :p
That was incredible, despite the desync audio/video on the encode :p An obvious yes vote for me
N._Harmonik
She/Her
Holy mackerel! How'd you finish this TAS so fast?! It seemed like only a week ago you uploaded the vid for the second boss on YouTube! Are you going to do a 100% run too?
Why, oh, why do I even <i>try</i> to understand my own species?
Active player (318)
I can't, you need a GBA link to get some eggs I think. And I worked during the night, that's why I went so fast :p I've beem looking again at the levels, and the route taken during this video is in my opinion the most optimal one, as the other missions are minigames, long races, kill 100 of crows and save 8 chickens - type of mission, which are pretty long and sometime without many shortcuts.
Active player (306)
Voted yes despite the fact that there is surely ways to optimize it, but it involves different routes or some glitches (I'm talking big optimization, here). And it looks polished, there are nice tricks, shortcuts... Everything is here to keep the entertainment going.
Player (33)
It look very nice, I haven't had time to watch it all the way through though. I'll watch through it on Dolphin if I can get it to sync. It kind of disturbs me that there isn't much of an explanation of what is going on and possible mistakes/improvements. For a TAS this long, not to mention a 3D GC game. The movements seem clean, but it appears like there could be just some simple movement optimizations. Right now I'll wait until I have time to watch the whole thing before I vote. Edit: Looking at it more indepth, I think I won't vote on this. Too confusing for me to keep up with. Especially because I haven't played the game.
IronSlayer wrote:
Your counterargument would be like me saying that the Earth is round and then you telling me that I need to show it's flat so I can "prove us all wrong".
Seems legit.