Submission Text Full Submission Page

Game Info:

Phoenix is a top-down outer space-themed fixed shooter similar to Taito's Space Invaders. As commander of the desert crawler Phoenix, your bizarre mission is to fight through flocks of fierce, mutating birds, then destroy the parasitic Mother Ship that's sapping Earth's resources!
  • Emulator used: BizHawk 1.2.0

Goals:

• Aims for fastest time
  • Genre: Shoot 'em up
This game is way better than Space Invaders, IMO. I didn't use the shield, it cuts the entertainment.
Enjoy c:
Todo: Expand.
Edit: Cancelled, for now :c

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3751: Lollorcaust's A2600 Phoenix in 00:24.93
Patashu
He/Him
Can't wait for the HD remake!
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I think that the "final boss" could have been done faster. Also, are there any other different levels, or is it just those exact same levels over and over? I like A2600 shooters though, so if someone does Demon Attack, that would be great.
Former player
FractalFusion wrote:
I think that the "final boss" could have been done faster. Also, are there any other different levels, or is it just those exact same levels over and over? I like A2600 shooters though, so if someone does Demon Attack, that would be great.
Yeah, the game never ends, it keeps repeating the levels. That... blue thing in the mothership moves to the right. If I stayed in the middle just shooting the mothership, the damaged area would move. Sorry for my poor english.
Everytime I get home My neighbour's cockroach is in my bed
Player (26)
Does this complete the game? I'm not familiar with this shooter, but it seems to me the mothership is still alive by the end of the movie.
Former player
Radiant wrote:
Does this complete the game? I'm not familiar with this shooter, but it seems to me the mothership is still alive by the end of the movie.
That happened because I committed suicide at the end of the movie :p. After some frames, it goes back to the first level.
Player (136)
Would it also have gone back to the first level at the same frame if you hadn't committed suicide? (That gives me an idea maybe we should ask for suicide right after the "end" of the infinitely-repeating game has been reached.)
Former player
partyboy1a wrote:
Would it also have gone back to the first level at the same frame if you hadn't committed suicide? (That gives me an idea: maybe we should ask for suicide right after the "end" of the infinitely-repeating game has been reached.)
Yes.
I've just made a TAS completing Phoenix in under 20 seconds. It can still be improved by a second, I think.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
So… I vote No (it seems to be my first „No” vote, before this I preferred „meh” in such cases) :)
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Editor, Active player (296)
It seemed fine until the rather ambiguous end. Vote = meh.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I like the game, and I think this is fairly entertaining for a short Atari run. An optimal run of this game should certainly be published. So, I voted "Yes" to this run, but I think we should see more optimization in this run before publication (especially if FractalFusion claims there's a 4 or 5 second improvement in a 25-second movie!)
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
I'll let Lollorcaust (or anyone else) work on the improvement. Here's the 20-second TAS I was referring to: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/2491746511994026 Up until the final boss, my TAS is slower by 1 second, but saves 6 seconds at the final boss. The improvement is as follows: - First, shoot one of the center blocks. - Then, go to the left and shoot the three blocks on the two columns at the very left. - Now, shoot the blue moving barrier at the leftmost column and immediately for the next shot shoot the blue moving barrier at the second left column; since the dents in the blue barrier move, the second shot will hit the dent made by the first one and create a hole allowing a well-timed shot to pass through completely. - Finally, return to the center and shoot all the center blocks and then shoot the alien through the moving hole; there is just enough time to do so. The center block is a bit strange. Shooting just right of center clears a block of width 2 along the center, whereas shooting just left of center doesn't clear any blocks, but by shooting it enough (about 8 times or so), you can form dents and holes in the blue barrier even without clearing any blocks. The blue moving barrier also treats the center as width two. It seems like a programming bug to me. The bird-like enemies in the third and fourth areas have confusing movements, so if anyone wants to figure out how they work, then good. Finally, please don't let the player die to the final boss's shots at the end. Just use the shield if you have to. Also, it is probably a good idea to stop the encode a bit after when the game returns to the first area (maybe a second after) so it is clear that the final boss is actually defeated. ---- Edit: The center block bug seems to be an emulator bug, since this Youtube video indicates that the bug should not occur during gameplay.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Due to possible improvements stated by Fractal, I'm voting no. I was waiting till someone found an improvement btw.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, salty!
Former player
I will redo it.
Banned User, Former player
This seems to be one of the better A2600 games. I would have voted yes.