Submission Text Full Submission Page
North and South is a game released for the NES based off the Civil War. You can fight battles, go on trains, capture forts, and destroy the Union or Confederate armies in this exciting game!
This is a 37 frame (0.62 second) improvement over the current published run of the same game, due to my realization that you could turn a player into a computer by clicking their image, which is about 35 frames faster. Two more frames were saved through slightly better map navigation.
(Note to encoders: Set your emulator to pause at frame 6500, which shows the TAS, and a couple seconds of the ending screen.)
JWinslow23: I will now cancel this submission due to MESHUGGAH's run being faster.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3752: JWinslow23's NES North & South in 01:19.40
Player (33)
Seems sound enough. Voting yes as an improvement over the current publication.
IronSlayer wrote:
Your counterargument would be like me saying that the Earth is round and then you telling me that I need to show it's flat so I can "prove us all wrong".
Seems legit.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Good improvement. Meh for entertainment, yes to obsoleting the currently published run.
Player (56)
Yeah, @CoolKi - oops, my mistake - CoolKirby, I think the currently published run got a meh vote for the same reason!
If I could have a tool-assisted real life, I'd... Being a novice, I'd probably load the wrong state, have the IRS AI bankrupt me, and eventually make me want to kill myself and redo 11 years of hard work.
JWinslow23 wrote:
CoolKirby, I think the currently published run got a meh vote for the same reason!
It's the new poll question that confuses people.
Player (56)
Wait, what do you mean by that, CoolKirby?
If I could have a tool-assisted real life, I'd... Being a novice, I'd probably load the wrong state, have the IRS AI bankrupt me, and eventually make me want to kill myself and redo 11 years of hard work.
At the top of the page, the poll asks "Did you find this movie entertaining?" instead of "Should this movie be published?". I want to say "Yes vote, publish." The run isn't very entertaining, so I can't vote Yes, and have to say "Meh to the question asked, and Yes to publish and obsolete".
Player (26)
JWinslow23 wrote:
Wait, what do you mean by that, CoolKirby?
Let me guess - not everybody has noticed yet that the question has changed, and as a result they're responding as if it hasn't?
Post subject: Re: #3752: JWinslow23's NES North and South in 01:19.4
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (550)
JWinslow23 wrote:
exciting game
no vote because lies
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Player (56)
That may be the case, Radiant! Oh, and NitroGenesis, it is exciting when it is played for longer (i.e. the side-scrolling platform levels). ...I may have phrased that wrong.
Player (56)
CoolKirby wrote:
At the top of the page, the poll asks "Did you find this movie entertaining?" instead of "Should this movie be published?". I want to say "Yes vote, publish." The run isn't very entertaining, so I can't vote Yes, and have to say "Meh to the question asked, and Yes to publish and obsolete".
I understand.
Player (33)
Quick encode: Link to video
IronSlayer wrote:
Your counterargument would be like me saying that the Earth is round and then you telling me that I need to show it's flat so I can "prove us all wrong".
Seems legit.
Player (56)
Abahbob wrote:
Quick encode: Link to video
I've commented on the video right now! (As robknightfilms, my YouTube channel name. I have encoded one of my previous submissions, Monopoly done in 8 minutes, so check that out, even though I have cancelled it!)
Player (33)
My first encode using Sony Vegas, I'm still trying to get the hang of it.
IronSlayer wrote:
Seems legit.
Player (56)
I make my encodes using Windows Live Movie Maker, because it is pre-installed on my laptop. An example of an encode of a movie I didn't submit is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTL6WHDlau8 . It is made by me, robknightfilms. But back to the "North and South" TAS. What chances do you think there is of it getting published?
JWinslow23 wrote:
What chances do you think there is of it getting published?
Very good, since it's an improvement over a currently published run. However, it's definitely a movie that will be published in the Vault.
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1888)
Since no one is active on irc at 8:40 (utc+1), please read this: <MESHUGGAH>someone from the higher tier? 3752S doesn1t uses highest difficulty and also doesn't improves the gameplay, I have a 56 frames faster and still can be improved much more <MESHUGGAH>but I feel it awkward that I vote yes for entertainment and basicly write down why it doesn't should be pubished And I think that choosing south could be faster because you can use the "green" level which is the fastest imo (you just have to go down once with the horses and rush the enemy while other levels needs to get the horses to up and down for the horses and the artillery).
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
Skilled player (1705)
MESHUGGAH wrote:
Since no one is active on irc at 8:40 (utc+1), please read this: <MESHUGGAH>someone from the higher tier? 3752S doesn1t uses highest difficulty and also doesn't improves the gameplay, I have a 56 frames faster and still can be improved much more <MESHUGGAH>but I feel it awkward that I vote yes for entertainment and basicly write down why it doesn't should be pubished And I think that choosing south could be faster because you can use the "green" level which is the fastest imo (you just have to go down once with the horses and rush the enemy while other levels needs to get the horses to up and down for the horses and the artillery).
You are amazing. You should submit/make more runs. :)
MESHUGGAH wrote:
If that's true, then JWinslow, you need to use the most difficult setting.
Guidelines wrote:
Where a game has multiple difficulty levels, it is preferred to play on the hardest difficulty level (for more interesting gameplay) unless the only difference between difficulty levels is enemy/boss hit points, in which case the easiest difficulty levels are preferred in the interest of speed.
Also, friendly reminder to make use of the Edit button for posts, hehe. As for the run itself, I vaguely recall the currently published one, and it seemed not too entertaining, so it'd prob go to the Vault. Will hold off voting until I can access the encode.
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
Did I find this movie entertaining? No. Yes Vote!
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
MESHUGGAH wrote:
Very interesting. If you managed such a large improvement so quickly and easily, why not TAS this game yourself?
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1888)
IronSlayer wrote:
MESHUGGAH wrote:
Very interesting. If you managed such a large improvement so quickly and easily, why not TAS this game yourself?
I'm actually doing it now. edit: playing as South, 4266 is the final framecount (1:11 instead your 1:19) http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/2500799130184739
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
Player (56)
MESHUGGAH wrote:
I will make and submit a "playaround" TAS of this game, featuring hardest difficulty, Indians, the North Carolina seaport, rainy weather on at least one battle, and a complete play through of at least one of the side-scrolling platforming levels. It will come soon!
Player (56)
MESHUGGAH wrote:
IronSlayer wrote:
MESHUGGAH wrote:
I'm actually doing it now. edit: playing as South, 4266 is the final framecount (1:11 instead your 1:19) http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/2500799130184739
Will you submit it?
Former player
JWinslow23 wrote:
MESHUGGAH wrote:
IronSlayer wrote:
MESHUGGAH wrote:
Will you submit it?
http://tasvideos.org/3754S.html
Everytime I get home My neighbour's cockroach is in my bed