Turtles time again.
I used FCEu to do this because Famtasia crashes when entering the Technodrome fight.
In my previous run I had 2 clumsy flaws. I grabbed 2 ladders in the middle instead of grabbing it at the side, meaning I lost some frames. So why is this version 38 seconds faster?
Most of the time comes from actually use death as a shortcut. I didn't use that in my previous run because I thought it would look sloppy. But it doesn't really and it saves around 20 seconds.
Next big timesaver is the technodrome. I managed to move it this time and this saved me quite some time. However, the randomness in this game is teh_stupid. I tried everything to be able to affect the position of the Technodrome but whatever I tried I found it impossible to change it. For example killing more enemies, killing less enemies, using second weapon (it affect stuffs sometimes) etc. Only exception was when I on purpose waited for like 1 minute before killing the mouse boss. But that's not worth it.
In this version I also managed to reduce lag. I kill more enemies and manipulates some to act like I want to cause less lag. I don't know how much time exactly that saved me but it looks much smoother now.
Also I got the suggestion to jump moreon the conveyor belts. I thought this would be a bad idea since in most cases I would have had banged my head into the ceiling, causing me to stop for a few frames. But it turned out to be faster to jump anyways.
Finally, in the Dam I took loads of damage to save time. This resulted in 1 time unit faster completition of it. In my previous run I had 1.14 left when disarming the last bomb. Now I have 1.15. Also my second last hit might look a bit sloppy but I had to swim in that evil electric sea-grass (?) to be able to use the same turtle (he's pretty useless anywyas ;P) to die with.
Oh and I have to climb downwards on one ladder because else I couldn't avoid that hedgehog and that would have messed things up in the Technodrome later on.
I think that was it for now.
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Manipulates luck
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses death as a shortcut
Hope you enjoy it.
/Walker Boh

Bisqwit: Good work. Publishing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #403: Walker Boh's NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 18:04.57
Emulator Coder
I fail to see any flaws in this run... some times I think you could have taken some damage to save time, but I think that switching to another turtle and back before that turtle dies takes more time than actually killing some of the enemies.
Former player
Possible. But if I take damage I will slow down for some frames and most likely be pushed backwards. This is one reason why I just can't go on a suicide streak in the Tehcnodrome because it won't save me time.
/Walker Boh
Player (67)
I like it. Very nice use of the boomerang in the first dam level. Nice job. :)
Former player
Thank you ;)
/Walker Boh
nonono I meant YES and set NO on accident ;( sry
Former player
Hehe. Atleast I got an explanation this time. No problem man. Thanks for voting anyways!
/Walker Boh
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [233] NES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Walker Boh in 18:04.57
i think this kicked ass, just one minor thing i want to point out. this version of the game gives you 10 misiles when you take a misile box. On my own turtles on Nintendo you only got 2 per box, not much other changes exept that the entangling tentacles at the water level tries to stretch out and grab you if your not quick enough. anyway Walker you kick ass, keep it up. ps i know this was a long time ago but i had to get it out as i tried to do some of the stuff u did on my real console and noticed the lack of misiles i had:>
Former player
Comments are always nice, so thanks ;) It could maybe be because I use the USA version instead of the European one, but I don't know this. The tentacles stretch out if you get to close yes, and I don't think you can escape them when they grab you.
/Walker Boh
Walker Boh wrote:
Comments are always nice, so thanks ;) It could maybe be because I use the USA version instead of the European one, but I don't know this. The tentacles stretch out if you get to close yes, and I don't think you can escape them when they grab you.
yes your probably right aboiut the version, i bought mine from "Club Nintendo" when i was really small and i guess they sold european versions. I was wrong about the tentacle issue, they only stretch out as you come close as you said:)
Former player
From "Nintendo klubben"? That's awesome ;) I got the european cartridge but it was a very long time ago I played it on console so I don't know this for sure. But I think I remember that when I was young and played this at console I had to visit the missile house a couple of times to get the missiles that is required.
/Walker Boh
indeed indeed, we got the "same cartridge allright:) and i remember allways wanting to the last missile box and allways dieing on that try. such memories of the old "life" that I didnt have. raised infront of the TV with some friends, sitting inside on summer days just playing these games:>
Post subject: cant open the movie timeattack turtles
Hi, I really really wanna see the turtles time attack, but when i download it and play on mediaplayer i only plays music :( Mediaplayers says somethin about codec , i tried anything but i still cant see it. And i can tell you : it aint fun to listen to a time attack :S. pls pls pls help me thnx !! :)
Post subject: Re: cant open the movie timeattack turtles
Editor, Active player (296)
Have you tried reading the FAQ? I know for a fact that your problem is answered in it.
Ah yes your right , Im an idiot, toke a while be4 i found it but gonna install it now. I just freaked because i wouldnt play ;) thnx alot i hope it works.
I can't play the video. I followed the FAQ to try the normal .avi video, couldn't get it too work, downloaded XviD, DivX, Videolan, GSPOT gave me an error...I passed it to a mate of mine and he said the .avi is just corrupt, and that there is no way to play it. So I tryed the FCE video, and there I get something really weird. The first world runs like a charm, defeat bepop, defeat the rhino (dont know the exact names anymore :P), but then, on the 1st door of the dam, 2nd screen or so, you get this kind of mini boss, the zombie thing wich you can't kill when it is crawled up. At that point you try to climp up the ladder, but donatello just stays in the same screen with the mini boss, and that's where it goes wrong. The Donatello starts to do really weird moves against the mini boss, he gets killed, and then a whole sequence of changing characters but never actually selecting one. I think that when you climp the ladder you should get to the screen above, but with my **** you stay in the room with the mini boss, and the buttons are pressed accordingly to what you should to from that screen on. If someone can help me by telling whetere the avi file is indeed corrupt, or, if not, what I need to download as the FAQ isn't really clear about this I think, or what goes wrong with the FCE file and how to solve it, I'd be real grateful! [Edited by Bisqwit: No ROM site links. Read the forum rules!]
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit HTML is ON BBCode is ON Smilies are OFF
Former player
I talked to Angerfist the other day and he seemed to have the same problem. I however could play the avi fine with VideoLan (the latest version) so I don't know what the problem is unfortunately =( I also don't know what causes your desynch, the file should play correctly. Anyone with more knowledge about this than I?
/Walker Boh
So basically you should be able to play the avi with just videolan installed and no codecs? ( sorry, i'm kind of a noob when it comes to videos ;) )
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit HTML is ON BBCode is ON Smilies are OFF
Former player
Well. I only have VideoLan (8.2 or whatever version it is) installed and it worked with that. I like VideoLan very much because since I started to use that there have been very few files I have been unable to play (mpg's, avi's etc). But if more people experience this I don't know what the problem could be. I don't have much knowledge about stuff like this at all unfortunately.
/Walker Boh
Thanks for the info and the quick reply any way, I'll go poking around with videolan some more, and I'll be sure to let you know what I think of the run as soon as I get it running! :)
Former player
Awesome. Good luck and thanks for the interest ;)
/Walker Boh
Nope, VideoLAN really won't do :( I get a grey screen, and when I look at the messages I keep getting: main warning: late picture skipped (x) with the x accumulating. And yes, I am really interested, because I have no idea how a normal human being can finish turtles 1 without save states :P as a kid I played it for months on the nes and never got further then the airfield, last month I finally beated the game on FCE, but with around 1001 save states (^^,)
Former player
I managed to get into the technodrome as a kid, but then I never got further. Bad news about VideoLan though =/ Then I have no idea what the problem is. Sorry.
/Walker Boh
Technodrome is hell Anyway, thanks for helping! I'll just keep this topic in my sight in hope of someone who does know what the problem is, with either the .fcm or the .avi