(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is an improvement of 3326 frames over my published run; #3268: Dooty's PSX Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee in 42:55.85 . The improvement comes from a new glitch, the death delay trick, and some small optimizations.

Emulator Settings

• Bios: SCPH1001.bin
  • Graphics: P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.4 (Abe's Games Fix enabled)
  • Sound: TAS Sound Plugin 0.2 (any other causes a desync)
  • Controller 1 e 2: Segu Direct Pad Pro Driver 0.4
  • CD Rom: TAS ISO Plugin 0.2

Game Objectives

• Bad Ending
  • Heavy Glitch Abuse

Dooty's Comments

Samlaptop PM'd me some time ago to tell me about the death delay trick. At that time I was inclined to only run SNES games, but since I was having some trouble with one of my SNES runs I decided to take a break and include the new trick on Oddworld. And as always, I hope you enjoy.

Gitches and Oddities

Auto Turn Delay

Climb a ledge or Elum facing the wrong direction, then run as soon as Abe starts to turn.

Stop & Turn

Normally when you're rolling along, if you release the directional pad for one frame and hold it again Abe unroll out into a walk, but if you press to turn the other way just when Abe wants to unroll he'll suddenly stop & turn. Combining it with the above trick and Abe will jump/fall backwards. While jumping he will pass through any wall in the game, also, Abe can survive any size drop because the game just thinks he's doing a simple jump up & down.

Infinite Pick Up

Hold the Square button near a grenade, rock or meat then keep turning around.

Screen Boundary

While running, turn around before Abe reaches the next screen then stop.

Ghostly Elum

Do an Auto Turn Delay glitch with Elum near a flying mine or order bomb.

Walk Through Walls

While riding Elum, run towards a wall by pressing R1 and when you're about to bump release R1.

Death Delay

By timing your jumps it is possible to delay Abe’s death. In real time it’s done like this; throw a grenade upwards, wait for it to stop bouncing and hold Triangle.

Stage by Stage

RuptureFarms

Without those Mudokons to rescue, it's just run right for justice right? Well, not quite.

StockYard Escape

Almost the same strategy used on the 100% run, even the auto turn delay at the end.

Monsaic Lines

The only change here was the order of the next stages, I'll do Paramonia first this time. Also, the auto turn delay used in the SDA run was included.

Paramonia

Better beehive section and this stage is now 244 frames faster than its 100% counterpart. Again, the SDA run helped with a little improvement on one of the lifts.

Paramonian Temple

Nothing much new here since there's only one door with Mudokons in it to avoid. The death delay used here is more for entertainment than speed as Abe must turn off the glitch to complete Paramonian Nests.

Paramonian Nests

Jumping on a well cancels the death delay glitch, but it is time consuming and negates the time saved by the trick. I left it in the run just for the novelty.

Scrabania

The entire stage was reused, just some less frames of lag here and there.

Scrabanian Temple

The two lower right doors have Mudokons in it, so I redid only those stages. And again, the SDA inspired a lot of new improvements here.

Scrabanian Nests

Despite being a really complex stage, it sync'd perfectly with the new run.

StockYard Return

Looks like the security system has been upgraded since the last time Abe passed through. Guess what? Yeah, the SDA run was better than my last run, so it was improved.

RuptureFarms 2

The only Mudokon rescued on the entire run, also the death delay trick shows its true potential here.

Zulag 1, 2, 3 and 4

It was not possible to reuse any of those stages, so they're all new. Well, only 1,3 and 4, the Zulag 2 was completely skipped this time.

Board Room

That's it, just one more lever to pull and Abe will be rewarded as a true shmuck he is.

Special Thanks

Samlaptop, for bringing the death delay trick to my attention. His SDA run is amazing, and as you can see, gave me lots of new strategies, thank you.

Suggested Screenshot

Frame 54605 I guess

Dooty: Movie file replaced, the new one is 8152 frames faster.
FractalFusion: Accepted as a Moon publication to obsolete the current published run.
Dooty: I'm deeply sorry, but new strategies have been found after the acceptance of this run, I apologize for the trouble but I'm cancelling this run.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3784: Dooty's PSX Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee in 39:44.55
Could someone encode this, please? Thanks in advance!
Banned User, Former player
Eye Of The Beholder wrote:
Could someone encode this, please? Thanks in advance!
I don't think making such a request is necessary at all. When was the last time that someone did not make an encode for a submission before it was accepted or rejected?
Does asking for an encode do any harm to anyone? Is it against the rules?
Considering that such a post is made on practically every new submission, such posts just basically end up as noise. And since plenty of requests are made, but I hardly ever see an encoder get thanked for making an encode, I tend to think of such requests as being more whiny and needy than anything else, even if that's not the intent of the poster. Our encoders are providing a fantastic public service and don't get very much credit for it. They'll get to a submission when they can, and asking for an encode is not really going to speed that process up any. Personally I think it's more polite to give them space than it is to make requests.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Expert player (2582)
This game is really wacky to encode, I remember Dada having a lot of trouble to fix the timings of the loading screens on my other runs of this game. Also, it's not so easy to find the "backup" which contains the glitches that I use in this run, and that makes it even more difficult for the encoders I think. @ Eye Of The Beholder I'll PM you with an alternative though. edit; he was looking for the video plugin, if anyone else needs it too; http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=179164#179164
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
skychase
He/Him
I can't even watch it on PCSX-rr, it get desynced on the first loading screen -_-.
It descyncs to me too unfortunatelly. I'm using the same plugins and enabled that option in the video plugin too. Is there any other thing i have to enable/disable in the emulator for it to work?
Post subject: CORRECT VIDEO /Abe's oddysee: YouTube + lossless video file
It syncs fine using version 1.0. Don't ask about the cut-scenes or load times though :P Link to video
  File: Oddworld - Abe's Oddysee (USA) (v1.0).bin
CRC-32: 081bcbb3
   MD4: d25db41086606d8eb1213f952e3e3eac
   MD5: 8f1fbaf89ca8354fbafae23805640313
 SHA-1: 1548537c91722628414dc5ed49e7ee28c379bced
Lossless x264
http://rapidshare.com/files/2454972445/abe's%20oddysee.mkv
http://antdgar.com/temp/tas/
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
hey antd, that's the wrong movie!
Enjoys speedrunning, playing and TASing Oddworld games! Has TASed: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee in 12.06.13 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Adventures II in 20.03.78 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:08:28.4 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:05:01.65 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:18 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:15 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:!5.44.12 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 13:01.3 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 12:59.95 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:16.27 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:01.07 Currently working on: Waiting for Windows TAS Tools to work so I can TAS PC version of Exoddus.
Thanks. The new movie is encoding now. Use version 1.0 of the game. It syncs with me.
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
You need to edit the title on the video as the movie was done in 42:55 not 39:44.
Enjoys speedrunning, playing and TASing Oddworld games! Has TASed: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee in 12.06.13 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Adventures II in 20.03.78 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:08:28.4 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:05:01.65 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:18 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:15 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:!5.44.12 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 13:01.3 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 12:59.95 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:16.27 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:01.07 Currently working on: Waiting for Windows TAS Tools to work so I can TAS PC version of Exoddus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeQP8INOxHs I updated my post with the correct movie/video
Expert player (2582)
Thank you for the encode, antd! Sorry about the desyncs, there's three images of this game floating around the internet, and PCSX-rr says that all of them are SLUS-00190. In one of my edits of the submission text I said that Paramonia and Scrabania could be skipped with the death delay trick, but apparently I forgot to read my own submission text...
Submmision Text wrote:
Going into the background cancels the death delay glitch,
It's not possible to reach Mozaic Lines as a dead Abe, but even if it was, being in the background would cancel the glitch.
thanks for the encode, antd! Nice improvement, Dooty! Yes vote.
Editor, Experienced player (894)
Very nice improvement. The late levels look quite crazy now... Yes vote.
Expert player (2582)
I was twicely wrong! Um... twicely, is this a word? anyway, going into the background doesn't cancel the death delay, Sligfantry, the guy who found the glitch says that jump in a well does; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d394vrsfeA also, it IS possible to set up the death delay in Mozaic Lines; you only need to let the bees attack you twice, and when Abe's voice get really high pitched, jump! sadly, there is a really high ledge in Abe's way, and it seems impossible to set the "backward jump" after the death delay trick is set.
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
Dooty, is is possible to set the backward jump glitch after you done the glitch. You proved it whilst you were skipping Zulag 2.
skychase
He/Him
The walls being too close to the ledges make it impossible because when he's doing the ledge glitch, he runs directly in a wall. Edit: Maybe by glitching down. I'd test it if I could ><'
Sligfantry here @skychase, no , that wouldnt work, only jumping up lets you survive high falls. @Dooty, Seeing as the DDG can be done with bees, what about trying the shots from a slig.
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
Well Sligfantry, it looks like your answer has come true. skychase has found something on the PSX version with the death delay glitch with shots from a Slig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bgN1Knl1qY&feature=player_embedded
antd wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeQP8INOxHs I updated my post with the correct movie/video
It would be recommended if both the title and the description of that video said that it's tool-assisted. Now neither one does, potentially causing confusion and negative criticism. We shouldn't be passing tool-assisted speedruns as regular ones even by inadvertent omission. Btw, there's probably something wrong with the emulation because there are brighter squares around campfires that I don't think should be there. Btw2: Is the ghost elum glitch really necessary? Does it make the run faster? Because it's annoying and unfunny, and only makes things confusing to watch. IMO if it's not necessary, it should be avoided.
Expert player (2582)
patsh wrote:
Sligfantry here. @Dooty, Seeing as the DDG can be done with bees, what about trying the shots from a slig.
I tried for, I don't know how many hours, but looks like there's no way to do the second jump when; 1 - shot by a Slig 2 - attacked by Scrabs or Paramites 3 - bitten by a bat or a Slog If you can find a way to set the DDG in Scrabania and enter Scrabanian Nests as a dead Abe, it is possible to skip Paramonia. I can set the DDG in Scrabania, in a door with the flying mine, but then I can't finish the stage :(
Warp wrote:
Btw2: Is the ghost elum glitch really necessary? Does it make the run faster?
Without the glitch, we would have to grab one more stone to blow a mine which the invisible Elum can simply walk over, it saves about 60 frames.
Dooty wrote:
Without the glitch, we would have to grab one more stone to blow a mine which the invisible Elum can simply walk over, it saves about 60 frames.
Fair enough, but the glitch is used twice.
Dooty wrote:
If you can find a way to set the DDG in Scrabania and enter Scrabanian Nests as a dead Abe, it is possible to skip Paramonia.
I'd been trying to do just that a while back, with no luck. There are a few bombs that could've potentially done it, but there's no room for the double hop.
Dooty wrote:
I can set the DDG in Scrabania, in a door with the flying mine, but then I can't finish the stage
I know where you mean. Even if you got down, you'd still have to go through a Well which would cancel it. Its annoying that with all these new glitches, there's still no way to go straight through Monsaic Lines and past those sligs.