(Link to video)

Solstice TAS any% by AndiHoffi & Randil

• Emulator used: FCEUX 2.2.0
  • Aims for fastest possible time
  • Genre: Puzzle
This run is 26 frames faster than the previous run by Randil. I used most of the run and just improved some rooms.

Terminology

I will refer to rooms by their room number, stored in RAM address $0015.

Improvements

• The smallest possible improvement of 2 frames in room 82 (frame 14382).
  • 6 frames in room 236 (frame 17261): optimized spike-jump.
  • The main improvement of 16 frames that made me do the run in room 223 (frame 18035). I use a hidden stone there.
  • Randil discovered 2 frames in room 177 (frame 9408) by using spike-jumping.
The loading times of the rooms changed in some rooms as well, but in total this evens out to zero.

What did I learn?

This is the first time, I touched the TAS-editor and I am still amazed by the precise work Randil did. Special thanks to him for doing this great run (that I copied almost entirely) and providing me with some hints. Especially the RAM addresses made everything much easier.

FractalFusion: Accepting into Moon tier as an improvement to the published run.

Ilari: This one shouldn't be too exotic for me...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Editor, Experienced player (608)
It's nice to see you credited him this time. No vote, but nice improvement.
Player (161)
CoolKirby wrote:
Can you explain the reason for your vote? I would like to understand, what I can improve here.
Skilled player (1885)
I'm not sure if it's okay for me to vote, but I'm throwing in a yes vote anyway. :) Good job finding these improvements.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
AndiHoffi wrote:
CoolKirby wrote:
Can you explain the reason for your vote? I would like to understand, what I can improve here.
Not enjoying how an improvement looked doesn't mean there's a better improvement. Improvements are instant accept in most cases. I didn't watch it though.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Post subject: Solstice: YouTube + lossless video file
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2262] NES Solstice: The Quest for the Staff of Demnos by AndiHoffi & Randil in 05:39.61