Super Mario Bros. Deluxe is a port of NES Super Mario Bros. onto the GBC, with a few minimal changes such as jump height and hitboxes, and modes such as "Challenge Mode" or "You vs. Boo". Walljumps still work, however, wall clipping doesn't.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: vba-v24m-svn440a
  • Aims for fastest completion.
This is an improvement of 34 frames over TheKDX7's run
Got4n first came up with the idea of TASing the game. We really got into it from that point, and finished this after around 2-3 weeks of restarting, finding new glitches, hex editing and trying out different techniques.

Glitches and tricks used

Jumping to gain speed

Doing a small jump when accelarating from a stop gets your speed up quicker.

Walljumping

Same as the NES version. Land between 2 blocks exactly and you can jump again.

Right screen scroll

If you press select, the screen will scroll to the right, allowing pirhana plants to appear earlier and therefore go down quicker.

Faster flagpole

If you land on the block below the flagpole before grabbing it, the level fadeout will appear earlier than usual.

Stage by stage comments

World 1-1 (2)
This is where it all began. We save 2 frames on the flagpole by jumping onto its base.
World 1-2 (4)
We save a frame by using a better technique to reach the ceiling and another frame thanks to a faster pipe strategy.
World 4-1 (4)
No frames saved here. How sad. D:
World 4-2 (7)
We saved 1 frame on the vine and another 2 from a better pipe strategy.
World 8-1 (7)
Nothing was saved here. Some of the pipes are really strange though. They couldn't be jumped without having to slow down. Indeed, we did this faster than TheKDX7, but you have to slow down at the end so as to not get fireworks anyway.
World 8-2 (8)
Saved 1 frame from a better pipe technique (there was the one in the middle of the level next to a tiny ledge).
World 8-3 (16)
Saved a massive 8 frames... how exactly? We have no idea...
World 8-4 (34)
2 frames were saved in the first room for a better beginning. Another 2 in room 2 for the same reason. Another 5 in room 3 for the same reason. 7 more for a better pipe entry in the water room and 2 more for a better beginning in the last room.

Personal comments

Got4n: This took around 2-3 weeks and I'm very happy to have this done. Both of us found several improvements, although TehSeven made the most input. I'm glad this is finally finished.
TehSeven: Oh joy, I really had a great time doing this. Got4n had some really good ideas and most of them worked out quite well. I'm satisfied with finally getting this off my chest.
Suggested screenshot: 3441

Nach: This run does not seem to offer any worthwhile content over the NES version of this game. Therefore it just looks like a worse version of an existing publication. Further, there seems to be little cohesion in the decisions between jumping for some coins or bricks and not others. Movement appears to be more random than well planned and trying to show off as a TAS should. Rejecting.
Apparently the vault allows for unworthwhile content as in this case. Also, the less than stellar cohesion in play, while does factor a bit into the "TASness" of a run, it is mostly entertainment, which is also not a factor for the vault. Therefore accepting for the vault.

natt: procesing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Experienced player (703)
Owyea epic wiiin :P Finally finished our tas
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Voting No because it doesn't offer anything new over our current SMB run. It's probably vaultable though.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Active player (318)
I'm not voting yet, but isn't it slower than the cancelled run of KDX7 ? http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13631
Editor, Expert player (2313)
There might be a few places where you have lost 1 frame compated to my video. I can't compare directly because I don't have access to my VBM at the moment. More info maybe later Suspicious places: 1-1 room 1 4-1 score scrolling 8-1 8-2 piranha pipe jump 8-3 score scrolling
negative_seven
She/Her
Active player (354)
STBM wrote:
I'm not voting yet, but isn't it slower than the cancelled run of KDX7 ? http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13631
According to Ilari, it's just because of the framerate change, and the frame count is the most important.
MUGG wrote:
There might be a few places where you have lost 1 frame compated to my video. I can't compare directly because I don't have access to my VBM at the moment. More info maybe later Suspicious places: 1-1 room 1 4-1 score scrolling 8-1 8-2 piranha pipe jump 8-3 score scrolling
1-1 room 1: Don't know what you're pointing out? 4-1 score scrolling: maybe 8-1: we really tried to optimise all the flagpoles, but their 'behaviour' really is strange, so I wouldn't be surprised. 8-2: i was pretty sure we nailed that =/. We got the earliest jump and the least turn we could after several attempts. 8-3 score scrolling: also maybe
Experienced player (703)
STBM wrote:
Emulator Problems, because the movie of KDX7 stop at first frame when axe dissapear it's 17798 our: 17764
MUGG wrote:
If you have upload your movie we can compare, but we haven't.
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
so, can this movie get a moon? ah, yes.... please do a 100% run of this! why are all the related videos about gun control?
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Experienced player (703)
OmegaWatcher wrote:
so, can this movie get a moon? ah, yes.... please do a 100% run of this! why are all the related videos about gun control?
Nice Idea. We are starting.
TheKDX7
He/Him
Player (115)
got4n wrote:
OmegaWatcher wrote:
Happy to see that you are going to work on the running 100% (of what I did not manage to make). And this run is very well! He should be published in the vault. Yes Vote.
Experienced player (703)
TheKDX7 wrote:
got4n wrote:
OmegaWatcher wrote:
Happy to see that you are going to work on the running 100% (of what I did not manage to make). And this run is very well! He should be published in the vault. Yes Vote.
Really, Thank you!
Active player (318)
Well then, voted yes, it's a nice run, and even if it looks like SMB from NES, it's well optimised and enjoyable.
Experienced player (703)
STBM wrote:
Well then, voted yes, it's a nice run, and even if it looks like SMB from NES, it's well optimised and enjoyable.
Thanks, you , I wonder who voted No.
Experienced player (508)
NitroGenesis wrote:
Voting No because it doesn't offer anything new over our current SMB run. It's probably vaultable though.
I agree.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... minty!
Editor, Expert player (2313)
got4n wrote:
If you have upload your movie we can compare, but we haven't.
My video is here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWGOrmBRie0 I basicly downloaded this and your video and compared side by side. I think my 1-1 starts one frame later but we get even again (I can't remember if that's how it was), so that's what makes it suspicious... I don't know. EDIT: I think this is it. http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1422698010/Super%20Mario%20Bros%20gbc.vbm I think I used VBA21.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
May I ask what the difference is, that allows #3341: Masterjun's GBA Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World in 10:07.98 to be vault published, but this TAS doesn't? The accept notes on SMA2 are particularly telling:
3341S wrote:
DarkKobold: (...) this seems to offer nothing new over the SNES version. Rejecting. adelikat: Unrejecting [for the vault] adelikat: Unlike when this run was originally judged, ports of the game game to different consoles is not a factor when judging the run. Therefore, accepting for publication.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Experienced player (703)
Mothrayas wrote:
May I ask what the difference is, that allows #3341: Masterjun's GBA Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World in 10:07.98 to be vault published, but this TAS doesn't? The accept notes on SMA2 are particularly telling:
3341S wrote:
DarkKobold: (...) this seems to offer nothing new over the SNES version. Rejecting. adelikat: Unrejecting [for the vault] adelikatUnlike when this run was originally judged, ports of the game game to different consoles is not a factor when judging the run. Therefore, accepting for publication.
Yes I was very angry to see that Nach seems,to be a not very good judge... So our 100% run is down...
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Mothrayas wrote:
3341S wrote:
DarkKobold: (...) this seems to offer nothing new over the SNES version. Rejecting. adelikat: Unrejecting [for the vault] adelikat: Unlike when this run was originally judged, ports of the game game to different consoles is not a factor when judging the run. Therefore, accepting for publication.
I was not aware of this being published. The vault isn't very noticeable.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Skilled player (1706)
Nach wrote:
While you're here, can you please un-obsolete the NDS Resident Evil run? I mentioned it in the SMW GBA TAS, but kinda forgotten about it until Mothrayas brought the SMW run up.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
jlun2 wrote:
Nach wrote:
While you're here, can you please un-obsolete the NDS Resident Evil run? I mentioned it in the SMW GBA TAS, but kinda forgotten about it until Mothrayas brought the SMW run up.
Apparently there's a reason why it obsoletes it.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Skilled player (1706)
Nach wrote:
Apparently there's a reason why it obsoletes it.
That decision was before the implementation of the vault tier. Now that the vault tier exist, I think it should be un-obsoleted. That and the qoute from your previous post kinda say that ports don't matter now:
adelikat: Unlike when this run was originally judged, ports of the game game to different consoles is not a factor when judging the run. Therefore, accepting for publication.
Emulator Coder
Fine.
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
vba-rr v24 svn422
  File: Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (USA, Europe).gbc
CRC-32: a4cd26ff
   MD4: bab2107d1f6053676757e0dcb9e86930
   MD5: ec764e03228d212ca794ac0b9df62857
 SHA-1: f84f26f22751b58ed57bd332274e18131660729a
this does not seem to be the same rom as in the movie header, though
negative_seven
She/Her
Active player (354)
Strange. We may have got the file names mixed up when we began the recording, though.