(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page

Comments

About the game

This game consists of two types of levels, in outside levels you operate some vehicle and in inside levels you play as the man himself. In both sections you have five elements to choose from: fire, water, earth, wind and HEART. In outside levels these elements serve as your vehicle's weapons. Water and wind don't seem to do any damage to anything and heart is used to interact with animals. In these levels your energy.
In inside levels Cpt. Planet can transform into these elements where fire does damage, water makes you immune to hazards and removes slimeparticles from bombs (good for lag reduction). Earth and wind are cheap knockoffs of fire and water respectively and heart is only used on 1st part of 2nd boss.
In vehicle levels energy is used only for ammunition (everything oneshots you), and in Cpt. Planet levels energy is both your ammunition (expires fast when transformed) and your health. Oh and it also serves as a timer by draining over time. Who needs multiple bars when you can just mash them all together. :)

Stored punch glitch

When playing as Cpt. Planet A button punches and B makes you transform. If you cancel your punch on the 7th frame by transforming, the game thinks you are punching every frame. This is pretty powerful in later stages especially when transforming into water, which makes you pretty much invulnerable.

Stage by stage comments

1-1

Nothing special, using rocks will destory robot legs fastest.

1-2

Slimy.

2-1

Objective is to stop trucks from pouring oil into ocean by throwing rocks in front of them. Last truck is too fast so you have to activate a bear with heart power to slow it down, R.I.P. bear. :'(

2-2

Lots of gas and lag.

3-1

Submarine level. You are supposed to help the whales throughout the level, but you can actually skip the first whale event by going under the net (very precise). This skip will cause the other two whale events to not appear at all.

3-2

Typical Captain Planet fare.

4-1

Most interesting level in the game. You need to help caged elephants into elephant reserve. They also destroy missile turrets that will shoot you down if you go past them. All this while enemy helicopters try to shoot you down. Elephants themselves move around 0.9 pixels per second, you can carry them for 1 pps, but the fastest way to move them is to "walk them" by constantly taking them in your helicopter and dropping them for a whopping ~1.5 pps.

4-2

Stored punch glitching.

5-1

Hardest part in game at 18:03

5-2

Final level, lags and balls are plenty. For the last boss you need to arrange reflectors in certain order. Without stored punch you can't arrange them in time for the first thingy to hit.

Other comments

This movie could be improved by about a second by using stored punch in the 1st boss. Too bad the game has loads of lag from RNG so the rest of movie desyncs horribly if you try to tweak earlier levels. This is an 4900 frame improvement from my older tas of this game, but I never bothered to upload the first version here because it was pretty sloppy.

feos: This run was proven to be quite sloppy. But the game looks like a decent choice to develop one's TASing skills, so I am sad the Author is not going to improve this run any time soon. Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3840: p3r's NES Captain Planet and the Planeteers in 23:47.05
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
This games looks really, really bad. Great candidate for the vault.
Oh my! Just when I have been hoping to see Captain Planet TASed, it appears in few months. As a kid I thought this one was pretty hard game (especially 2-1) and most of the Captain levels were big mazes. Now when I see the game TASed, it doesn't look as cool and action paced as back then. Time surely gives adds some notalgy value. Those side scrollers (besides 2-1) are quite boring and the first one looks bit sloppy since you shoot just few enemies without any reason, but leave most of them alive. As a run I think this should be accepted, but due it has quite low entertainment value it should go to the vault. That's why it is time to give first meh vote.
... this game is boring (to watch being TASed).
When human lurking is not enough
SXL
I agree, overall speed is low and the flying does not help showing any skill thus entertainement. Also, music was a real show-stopper.
I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death - NAS
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Funny, weird, hard and VERY annoying game. I love the music. It looks easy and boring after being TASed, but I felt cool throughout the run. I liked dragging the elephants and HP use.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Former player
I am unsure as I dont know anything about this game, but from the looks of it when playing as Captain Planet you have a few frames of acceleration. So would taking the turns wide and begin turning early and cutting as close to the corners as you can, you should be able to save a bunch of time rather than hugging the wall and having to get your acceleration up at every turn. Just a thought, I could be wrong.
This is a pretty good run for the Vault. But I feel like it really ought to be a Pacifist run. Voting meh.
Dwedit
He/Him
You didn't mention that the last boss was Duke Nukem!
Balls of Steel! All kidding aside, it's great seeing this video after playing the real deal back when I was a kid. This game is so bad. It's a great Vault candidate.
This movie is indeed very sloppy. Do not bump any corner, just fly right around it, and you gain a bunch of pixels each time. Also, avoid lag in scrolling levels by holding down A button less. I reach the place I tested up to at frame 12737, while in this submission that place is reached at frame 12810. I didn't quite understand how the weapon and refills work, so I wasted some power, but it still proves you should not bump the corners. http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/4185098613587708 Use this Lua script to determine your exact position, it shows Camera X : Player onscreen X and the same for Y respectively. Download CaptainPlanet-Position.lua
Language: lua

function draw() camX = memory.readbyte(0x6) camY = memory.readbyte(0x8) x = memory.readbyte(0x23) y = memory.readbyte(0x47) gui.text(x,y, string.format("%3d:%3d\n%3d:%3d",camX,x,camY,y)) end emu.registerafter(draw)
EDIT: Oh, you also should press Start earlier in some places, right after the lag frame, or the next frame. Read how to figure out the first frame to press a button: http://www.fceux.com/web/help/taseditor/index.html?SemiautomaticTASing.html - the passage starting with "A good example..." Also note, that I spend just an hour testing your submission, and already saved so much frames. I was using TASEditor with Auto-restore function (it's built into FCEUX 2.2.0) and the script above.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
p3r
feos wrote:
Use this Lua script to determine your exact position, it shows Camera X : Player onscreen X and the same for Y respectively.
Yes I used those addresses when making this run.
feos wrote:
Oh, you also should press Start earlier in some places, right after the lag frame, or the next frame.
Where? If you mean the beginning of the game then it doesn't matter in which frame you press start at between frames 555-735, the password screen always appears at 755. And I always skip the "hey this is the password" screens at first possible frame. About the corners yeah it's little faster to not run into them. I remember testing it at some point but I messed up somehow. Probably because how the controls work: there these 3-6 frame long phases where if you try to move nothing really happens.
Will you improve your run more then? I'd suggest posting WIPs on NES Games forum here, so that you don't miss any tricks and make sure it will be accepted after submitting. For now it's quite rejectable.
p3r
I'm not going to improve it anytime soon, so feel free to reject if you think it's too shitty. I just made this run because I wanted to see a full playthrough of this game and I'm satisfied with the end result. That's what matters to me. :)
Oh, that's sad.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1141)
p3r wrote:
I'm not going to improve it anytime soon, so feel free to reject if you think it's too shitty.
If that is the case, you should cancel it then.
Good TAS for a bad game, you have some courage :)
"Si le mal existe en ce monde, il se cache dans le cœur des hommes." "If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of man." Edward D. Morrison - Tales of Phantasia
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... crunchy!