Sega Galaga for the SG-1000 obtaining the High Score as fast as possible

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.4.0
  • Exceeds the default High Score of 20,000 points as quickly as possible (and finishes the wave)

About the game

The SG-1000 port of the game Galaga is the only port with a different name, in this case Sega Galaga. It is effectively a completely different game than the Arcade version of Galaga, with simplified sound and rules (although the same basic concept). The SegaRetro.org Sega Galaga page has additional information about some of the changes. In particular, the SG-1000 port does not contain any challenge modes and all of the waves are identical, although the enemy movement increases and decreases in cycles reaching the fastest speed at level 35.

Game mechanics

The game requires the fire button to be pressed for two frames but a subsequent shot can be separated by only one frame; only two shots can be out at a time. Shots recharge and are returned for reuse before they reach the top of the screen and the frame before impact with an enemy.

Scoring

Green bug in formation: 50
Red bug in formation: 80
Green bug in attack: 100
Red bug in attack: 160
Blue bug in formation: 150
Blue bug in attack: 400
Shooting captured ship: 1,000
The only scores ever seen in the run are the two "in attack" scores as no enemies ever make it to the formation and the player's ship is never captured.

Notes on the run

This port of the game has no difficulty level meaning the 1 player option can be (and is) selected as soon as possible. The default High Score of 20,000 points is displayed in the upper-right corner of the screen.
The first wave of enemy ships (which look like bugs, and I'll call them that to distinguish them from the player's ship) approaches before the opening music stops playing. The bugs always appear in exactly the same pattern in each stage in this port. The bugs start out moving slowly but increase in speed during each successive stage up to an upper limit at which point they go back to their slowest speed and the cycle continues to go from slow to fast. This speed increase means that each stage is slightly different even though the flight pattern is identical. The green and red bugs are scored differently than one another but both require only one hit, whereas the blue bugs require two hits and are worth significantly more points. With that said, there really isn't any complicated tactic to getting points faster so the bugs are simply exterminated as quickly as the game mechanics allow.
A shot to one of the blue bugs in the 4th wave puts the score to 20,080 points and causes a chiming sound to be played, beyond which time the player's score and the high score go up simultaneously and the game repeats ad nauseum up to stage 99 as demonstrated by this longplay of the game. The input initially ended on the earliest possible frame after the default High Score was exceeded as this seemed to be a good stopping point but due to popular demand the input now ends after the wave in which the high score is obtained is completed. The other two potential stopping points for a future submission would be after the last stage when the enemies increase in speed (I believe this is stage 35) or after the game no longer counts new levels at stage 99+1, although general judging rules appear to favor stopping at level 35 as no new speed increases are introduced after that point (in other words, no new content is introduced after stage 35).

RAM addresses

Thanks

Thanks to Quibus who worked on the MSX version of Galaga and got me thinking about doing a run of the Atari 7800 version of Galaga. Thanks to Mothrayas for accepting the Atari 7800 version, giving me the courage to tackle this (relatively obscure) port of the game as well.
I hope you enjoy this run!
A.C.

Ilari: Edited the movie file to correct the system identifier.
Ilari: The problems with SG-1000 BKMs should be fixed now.
FractalFusion: Replaced file with one that completes the wave on which the high score occurs. Accepting.
The submission may be obsoleted by one that is longer and judged more complete.
dwangoAC: The submission notes have been updated to reflect that input ends after the wave in which the high score is obtained is completed.
FractalFusion: Setting intended tier to Moons.
FractalFusion: Note that publication has now been moved to Vault tier.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3846: dwangoAC's SG1000 Sega-Galaga "Fastest High Score" in 00:47.91
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I personally don't find ending this movie in the middle of a wave to be an appropriate end. The waves in this game eventually do get faster, but not continuously (fast waves are sometimes interspersed with slow ones). Check out how fast Stage 39 is. I believe that 40-49, 50-59, and so on, repeat 30-39. So Stage 39 seems to be a better end. Edit: It seems Stage 35 is just as fast as Stage 39. So a movie that stops after Stage 35 is acceptable as well.
Moderator, Senior Ambassador, Experienced player (898)
FractalFusion wrote:
I personally don't find ending this movie in the middle of a wave to be an appropriate end. ...So a movie that stops after Stage 35 is acceptable as well.
I'm equally not a fan of the run ending in the middle of a wave, but at the same time there have been some heated discussions on submissions to the Vault tier needing to be as fast as possible with a clearly defined goal, and this was the shortest logical goal I could come up with. One option would be to just complete the wave and then quit, with the same general goal choice wording. If there's a substantial disagreement in this thread about the goal I'm willing to entertain changing it to be a "completes fastest level" and continuing on to level 35 but the levels are all very, very repetitive. Again, additional feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks, A.C. ******
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
encode?
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Post subject: Quick and dirty encode
OmegaWatcher wrote:
encode?
I'm no good at encodes but I did what I could with VLC to make an MKV. I don't know what the best method is to add subtitles / Tool Assisted Speedrun notification warning so this video omits that, but at least it's nice and small. You can download it from: http://sonic.net/~ac/tas/Sega%20Galaga%20Fastest%20High%20Score%20in%2000.42.49%20by%20DwangoAC.mkv This is an MKV container with H.264 video and MP3 audio; please let me know if it wasn't encoded right (in particular, it should have audio and it should play for 53 seconds). Thanks, A.C. ******
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
The movie was very good, beyond vault material, until you got the high score. Wow, that was abrupt, I really didn't like it. Isn't there a challenge stage in galaga, or I'm thinking about another old-school shooter?
My first language is not English, so please excuse myself if I write something wrong. I'll do my best do write as cleary as I can, so cope with me here =) (ノಥ益ಥ)ノ
Post subject: What alternative stopping points would people like to see?
OmegaWatcher wrote:
The movie was very good, beyond vault material, until you got the high score. Wow, that was abrupt, I really didn't like it. Isn't there a challenge stage in galaga, or I'm thinking about another old-school shooter?
Thanks for the compliment! As noted in the submission text, this version of Galaga does not have any challenge mode so I can't end it like my Atari 7800 Galaga run. Since the perfect challenge mode goal isn't available in this version, do you have any suggestions on another goal choice? My primary concern is that the goal choice shouldn't be arbitrary but the existing goal choice *does* impact entertainment value somewhat as it ends abruptly and the game doesn't hit its maximum speed for another ~30 levels; the levels themselves would become tedious unless I opted to go for significant speed/entertainment tradeoffs (to show off graphical glitches and game mechanics such as enemy attacks and getting one ship captured) but this would invalidate the run for the Vault. I appreciate that you consider this Moon quality but based on the Atari 7800 version going straight to the vault I'm assuming this submission will have the same fate once someone claims it for judging and that has significantly influenced my goal choice. Anyway, continued feedback is appreciated. Thanks, A.C. ******
Post subject: Re: What alternative stopping points would people like to see?
Player (26)
How about you make the high score ASAP and then still finish the round?
Radiant wrote:
How about you make the high score ASAP and then still finish the round?
I'm not opposed to that - what would you describe the goal as, though? "Fastest high score level"? Perhaps tonight I'll finish off the round (shouldn't take long) and upload a WIP. It's one thing to finish one level, it's another to finish 30+ more. :) A.C. ******
Player (26)
dwangoAC wrote:
I'm not opposed to that - what would you describe the goal as, though? "Fastest high score level"?
Personally, I would say "fastest high score at frame 12345, but to make the video look better there's 1000 more frames of input afterwards". I mean, you do get the fastest high score, everything you do after that is just icing.
Radiant wrote:
Personally, I would say "fastest high score at frame 12345, but to make the video look better there's 1000 more frames of input afterwards".
That's a good idea, except the submission file is used to determine the frame length / run length, so there's no way (for me, at least) to submit a longer file but claim a shorter end point. I think doing that would perhaps be unprecedented and potentially unpopular with a few people. Again, I'm totally fine with increasing the length of the movie as a "Contains speed/entertainment tradeoffs" run, but doing so would invalidate the run from consideration into the Vault based on the existing site rules. There's been a fair amount of discussion on this topic in IRC and elsewhere about the best way to handle this significant difference between the Vault tier and the Moon tier because of questions like this but no firm conclusions have been reached. Thanks for the feedback, A.C. ******
Lord_Tom
He/Him
Expert player (3274)
I wouldn't think that would be an issue; the input length determines the automatically calculated time, but runs that use in-game timers (some Super Metroid, ExciteBike come to mind) just state theirs goals and their time in the comments, and that's that...provided of course the goal itself is approved of.
Lord Tom wrote:
t...provided of course the goal itself is approved of.
Yeah, it's that last gotcha that has me concerned. Could a judge weigh in, please? I'll submit a version that completes the level the high score is reached on and upload it as a WIP as soon as I can, likely later tonight. Stay tuned, A.C. ******
Post subject: New WIP that completes the high score level
Per the above discussion, I've uploaded a WIP that completes the first level in which the high score occurred. This WIP is a few seconds longer than the submission file but completes all of stage 4 instead of stopping immediately after the high score is obtained. I've also created a rough encode of this version which can be downloaded here. As always, feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially on the topic of whether the concept of a goal choice like "Fastest high score level" (wherein the level / wave / stage where the high score is obtained is completed before the input is ended) is valid for the Vault tier. Enjoy, A.C. ****** EDIT: Corrected new encode download link.
I definitely prefer the WIP you uploaded over the current submission TAS. That being said, the Vault page says this about looping shooters:
Games that loop endlessly can still be defined. The completion point is one where there is no new content, and the game is no longer increasing in difficulty.
If there is any dispute about its endpoint, I believe the interpretation favors goals that make for longer movies over goals that make for shorter ones. One can say that the longer one is "more complete" than the shorter one because it contains just about everything about the shorter one and more. I'd say that the current goals (reach high score, then end wave) qualify it for Vault since it can be argued that there is no new content; however, a Stage 35 TAS (complete fastest possible wave, since there are no new speeds) or Stage 39 TAS (complete last wave before the wave set repeats) has the potential to obsolete it then.
Experienced player (508)
FractalFusion wrote:
I'd say that the current goals (reach high score, then end wave) qualify it for Vault since it can be argued that there is no new content; however, a Stage 35 TAS (complete fastest possible wave, since there are no new speeds) or Stage 39 TAS (complete last wave before the wave set repeats) has the potential to obsolete it then.
I would prefer one of those two. Both would be vault tier but I would think that it would be more impressive and potentially give more room for improvement if someone else works out a better strategy.
Post subject: OK, I'll leave it for a judge to claim and decide
Thank you to everyone for your feedback. Judges, please replace the submission file; I'll update the submission text appropriately at that time. Tackling a run that gets all the way to level 35, when the game never proceeds to increase in speed further, seems like the most logical longer run stopping point (going to 39 when the game goes back to its slowest speed doesn't make as much sense to me, unless I've misinterpreted something). Having said that, I do not currently intend to go to level 35 at this time citing available free time in the coming weeks. In the interim I would like to respectfully request that this run be judged on the current completion of the wave in which the high score is obtained (and accepted or rejected as deemed appropriate by a judge). It's completely OK with me if any potential acceptance note includes a warning that the decision is not precedent setting as needed. Thanks for everyone's response, A.C. ******
Sorry for the delay. I've replaced and accepted the submission. Does anyone have other opinions as to whether this should be published in a higher tier than Vault? I am leaning towards Vault.
Post subject: Submission notes updated
FractalFusion wrote:
Sorry for the delay. I've replaced and accepted the submission. .
Thanks! As promised, I've updated the submission notes to reflect the change. I have no strong feelings on which tier this should be published in. I just realized that I linked to the wrong encode above showing the 4th wave completed; I've corrected the link and the rough encode can be downloaded here. Thanks again for tackling this, A.C. ******
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Thanks for the new encode, dwangoAC! I finally had time to watch, and I found it entertaining how most of the enemies were hardly on-screen a second before they were precisely blasted away. Yes vote!
My vote is inclined to moon.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2349] SG1000 Sega-Galaga "fastest high score" by dwangoAC in 00:47.91
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.