This run beats the current published run by 1040 frames (~17.3 seconds). This is mainly due to a major time saving trick in area 12, but there are many other improvements throughout the whole game. It's sort of an interesting game to make a TAS of as there's not really that many situations where optimization is a big issue. Searching for the best strategies is mostly what adds to the rerecord count. Once you've found the best strategy the optimization almost comes with it, even though there did exist some situations where it was necessary to carefully manipulate the subpixels in order to get a certain trick to work.

Improvements

In this game, there's an 8-frames rule that controls when the screen can start to fade out so each improvement is a multiple of 8.
AreaFrames savedTotal frames saved

Area 15

Dispite the the small improvement a completely different swinging approach was used in the outdoor part.

Area 5

Some more rapid swinging, as if it wasn't enough before. Most of the time was gained in the second tower-climbing part.

Area 3

I managed to enter the first door much more effectively by tight y-subpixel management, the margin is 2 subpixels. Some new swinging maneuvers indoors.

Area 6

Quite some time was gained in the "Donkey Kong" part before the boss room. A new strategy at the boss saved a bit of time as well.

Area 9

Took a different route at the start of the long horizontal room before the boss.

Area 7

Small improvements here and there, nothing that can really be spotted if you don't compare the runs side by side.

Area 10

Quite some different strategies throughout the level resulted in this improvement.

Area 11

As with area 7, just some slightly changed swinging strategies.

Area 12

The new trick saved most of the time here, and it also made it possible to take a new loop route in the first part. Furthermore I found a new strategy to destroy the barrier computers, faster movement to get down to the second one of those, and a slightly faster escape.

My thanks goes of course first to Phil for his good run that contained many tricks that I might had missed otherwise. Furthermore Feitclub for making the first TASes of this game. Genisto for making the first TAS that really showed (on the japanese version) what potential this game has. JXQ and Cardboard for improving upon that run. Also Bisqwit who apparently found the Pulled off to other side glitch which doesn't surprise me as I can hardly think of anyone else that would get an idea like that.
Have fun :)

feos: Accepting this improvement to the same tier the previous movie was in.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3878: Aglar's NES Bionic Commando in 13:27.95
Player (50)
Lovely run of a lovely game! The new Area 12 strategies were amusing, yes vote :)
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Awesome! You have some nice touches in the run. I found the enemy truck sections pretty entertaining, because the shots travel at some crazy angles. I also was surprised I could notice some small changes in the early stages, given how long ago I saw the old run. For instance, in Area 3, I saw you took damage on your way to the first door, but yet you didn't have any damage knockback animation. That seems new to me, and that was impressive. Area 10 was noticeably different too, and I also liked how you took damage from the little robot with no knockback. When seeing the major change of Area 12, I must admit I was surprised nobody had ever pulled that off before. That was great! By the way, what happens if you try to go straight to Area 12 without saving Super Joe or beating Areas 10 and 11?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Expert player (3566)
Nice to hear that the minor changes could also be spotted, those were actually what took the most work. The damage boost at the end of Area 10 was in Phil's run as well though.
mklip2001 wrote:
By the way, what happens if you try to go straight to Area 12 without saving Super Joe or beating Areas 10 and 11?
You must rescue Super Joe ("Super"? He just seem to get in trouble all the time) before you can travel to the map section with the 3 last Areas. Area 12 can't be entered until Areas 10 and 11 are beaten.
feos wrote:
Only Aglar can improve this now.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
emuVersion 22000
Whas this movie really made in the new fceux or just converted through it?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Expert player (3566)
feos wrote:
emuVersion 22000
Whas this movie really made in the new fceux or just converted through it?
It's made in FCEUX 2.2.0 yeah.
feos wrote:
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
An obvious question then. Why did you switch to it? Also, did you test shifting input according to lag changes? It was developed to a very high level.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Expert player (3566)
feos wrote:
An obvious question then. Why did you switch to it?
uh, why not?
feos wrote:
Also, did you test shifting input according to lag changes? It was developed to a very high level.
Lag isn't that big of an issue in this game. In either case, I didn't do anything different really than what I've done when TASing using the previous emulators.
feos wrote:
AnS
Emulator Coder, Experienced player (723)
Hah, I think, feos was trying to say that the "Auto-adjust Input according to Lag" feature has evolved dramatically since the time you saw it in 2.1.6! Although maybe it won't be as obvious when using traditional way of TASing...
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Question: Why did you use the 3-way in the one stage instead of the rocket launcher?
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Sir VG wrote:
Question: Why did you use the 3-way in the one stage instead of the rocket launcher?
You must be talking about Area 7. There's a barrier at the beginning that only the 3-way gun can destroy. From there, you have two alternatives: either beat the stage normally with the 3-way gun, or use Start + Select to exit the stage and re-enter with the rocket launcher. I believe that it's been thoroughly tested that it's slower to use the rocket launcher: the time taken to leave and re-enter the map is just too long. (Phil's current submission text gave a time estimate of the difference, I think.)
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Ok, I was curious as to why. That answers the only question I have. Voting yes then.
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Expert player (3566)
AnS wrote:
Hah, I think, feos was trying to say that the "Auto-adjust Input according to Lag" feature has evolved dramatically since the time you saw it in 2.1.6! Although maybe it won't be as obvious when using traditional way of TASing...
Oh, ok. My thought when having this idea was to use it only for two-player runs, but I can see that it would be somewhat useful for one-player runs as well. Though in the later case, if the game is lag-heavy, I'd rather change the input to find the best one for the new lag pattern instead of just using the old input and hope that it's optimal already. And feos, maybe you thought that because I've started to use FCEUZ 2.2.0 it implied that I'd also abandoned the "traditional" TASing method and moved over completely to TASEditor. That's not the case though even if some parts in the run was made using it. If I was to make a two-player run I'd only use TASEditor.
feos wrote:
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
It's always good to see this run tightened up a bit! I really appreciated the couple times where you swung backwards a bit to get a better angle for the next swing. Nicely done! I wonder if there is any interest in a run that plays the rest of the levels. Might be better in theory than in execution.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2334] NES Bionic Commando by Aglar in 13:27.95
Post subject: Such productive use of my time
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I added Phil's and Aglar's data to the spreadsheet Cardboard and I used long ago. You can use the spreadsheet to compare any of the last five BC TASes. There are more checkpoints than necessary for comparing most of these, but Genisto's TAS was on the (J) version which required us to measure the differences more specifically, so I just put them all in for later versions too, for no good reason. Link
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Expert player (3566)
That's some really ambitious comparison work! Though, it was of course necessary when comparing your (U) run to the (J) one. I was a little puzzled about how I temporarly lost 10 frames in Area 11, but it was simply because I didn't push A at the beginning of that swing in order to make the rest of the boss fight faster. Also, given how this site works right now, I wouldn't mind if the run for the (J) version was republished alongside this one - as the gameplay really is quite different. I won't push hard for it but I think it would be consistently correct for this site as we're no longer as picky about publishing runs of new games - no matter how boring TASes they result in.
feos wrote:
There was even that close call on the map screen! Think about it - this TAS makes Bionic Commando's map screen interesting! Quite the accomplishment.
Designer of Copy Kitty, a game about giant robots and explosions
Active player (500)
It seems to be able to escape earlier if there is no difference in it and this. http://firestorage.com/download/4fcce3ef8a64e3aa47c16a0cb714d8ac8b0724f5
Expert player (3566)
Hotarubi wrote:
It seems to be able to escape earlier if there is no difference in it and this. http://firestorage.com/download/4fcce3ef8a64e3aa47c16a0cb714d8ac8b0724f5
Yes it works, nice find Hotarubi! It saves 38 frames if inserted at the end of my run. I don't think I'll submit right away though as I can just as well take this opportunity to look for other minor improvements.
feos wrote: