Boring Stuff

• Emulator used: VisualBoy Advance-v24m-svn-r422
  • Uses death and damage to save time
  • Normal Ending (not 100%)

Overview

I promised a few people that after I finished my Croc: Legend of the Gobbos 100% TAS I would do an any% TAS of Croc 2. I don't want to, so as a loophole I made this TAS of the silly gameboy version. This bizarre game is obviously nothing like the Playstation/PC version.
This run simply reaches the credits as fast as possible - it does not get the 100% ending that requires all Golden Gobbos. I may make a 100% run, but before routing it seems like it might require too much crystal grinding.

Physics

• Horizontal and vertical movement are independent. This means if I'm going in one direction, I am free to move however I want on the other axis. Everything Pythagoras taught you is thrown out the window, so that explains a lot of the very bizarre movement patterns I use, usually for no purpose but to mix things up.
  • In certain scenarios you can get an extra frame off an edge before you jump...this allows for essentially all the unintentional shortcuts I use in the run.
  • The height system is really poorly done, not going to bother explaining more than that.
I could do some more detailed comments about a few of the bigger timesavers, but that probably isn't necessary. A good rule of thumb is if I make a large diagonal jump with no obvious connectors between where I takeoff and where I land, it is a medium-large shortcut.

Nach: Nice run, accepting.

natt: procesing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3892: RingRush's GBC Croc 2 in 18:24.00
Experienced player (511)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbGdoh_krY Low quality encode for my channel. Sorry for not using BizHawk, I either never knew it had GBC recording abilities or forgot about it.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
RingRush wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbGdoh_krY Low quality encode for my channel. Sorry for not using BizHawk, I either never knew it had GBC recording abilities or forgot about it.
Don't be sorry, some people still use vba (Super Mario Deluxe) and there wasn't really a full mention of it being completely gone. Shotgun encode YES vote.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Wow... The sprites used when Croc moves to the left and right looks like he is completely brain dead This game is so bad, yet strangely entertaining. Yes vote for Moon publication. Now make it 100%.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Thanks for the temp encode, RingRush! At first, I feared this GBC version would be a total bastardization compared to the PSX original, like the Rayman game we have published. I was pleasantly surprised. The game moves along pretty fluidly, like Gremlins 2 but with puzzles and bright colors. There's some amusing antics too, like how Croc has to go "Wow!!" with every trivial accomplishment he finishes. Croc sure has a lot of fun being a fetch-quest bitch for the Gobbos. Also, the second boss reminds me of a certain StarTropics boss :-) (That boss is a fire monster, and you also beat him by destroying key parts of the scenery rather than by attacking directly.) Questions: * Around 8:20 in the encode, you grab what looks like a ribbon. You shoved two boxes to finish that puzzle, but you look like you only needed one to make the jump. Why did you shove the second box? * At 10:45, it seems like you didn't need the shoved box to make the jump here either. * Why did you die around 15:15? It didn't look like you accomplished any particular trigger around that point that would suggest a deathwarp. Screenshot suggestion: Around 11:52 when Croc is dancing after picking up an item
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Experienced player (511)
Question answers: 1. Pause at 8:01 in the encode and again at 8:14. You'll notice ledge I'm standing on in the latter is not there in the former - pushing the two boxes into their final positions activates it. 2. Pause at 10:44 and you'll see the lower area is filled with lava. Pushing the box blocks off the lava flow and instantly dries up the area so I can walk on it....I know this makes no sense. 3. I didn't die, that is a bizarre intended shortcut to later in the level.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Thank you RingRush. I guess there's only one other concern I found. You died twice, I think, so it seems you should've been fine with the two initial lives, but you still earned enough diamonds to get an extra life. I don't recall if there was a time-wasting animation for the extra life, but if there were, could it have been avoided?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Experienced player (511)
You get extra lives by killing 20 enemies, so the lives I got were just along the main path. I never spent any extra frames to kill something, and getting the life itself costs no time (unless you want to warp with a gameover, which isn't useful in any%).
Hopper262
He/They
With all those shortcut jumps over lava, I expected Croc to run into Jason from Master Blaster... Surprisingly entertaining for a GBC game, and looks optimized to my amateur eye. Yes vote.
Patashu
He/Him
Yes vote for the music :)
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Don't ask me, I literally thought. This crocodile is in the wrong place (nah~). Edit: 2 more
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
RingRush wrote:
Croc 2 [SLUS-00634].bin
seems like a GBC rom to me
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Experienced player (511)
^ Good catch, I have several Croc 2 ROMs on my computer and most are for the Playstation version...should probably label these better. Updated submission
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
vba-rr v24 svn422
  File: Croc 2 (U) [C][!].gbc
CRC-32: c1d60129
   MD4: 29843b740adbbd078b4d3abffb3ab408
   MD5: 03a8bcab4b2975fa2d850d18c728ea9c
 SHA-1: fa29d6c4239405b12b320bb6e8a65ca2083a4b1c
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2354] GBC Croc 2 by RingRush in 18:24.00
Active player (266)
You forgot to add genre on movie category.
Sorry for the bump, but I didn't feel it worthwhile to create a new topic for a small thing. The TAS misses a shortcut in the last non-boss level (getting the missing statue piece back): At 16:26 in the youtube encode, you can break through the horizontal wall in the far north-west part of the area, exiting north. The new path has a some of its own platforming involved, but you skip pushing the two blocks, so I'm sure it's faster.