Metroid 1 Item Challenge in 11:51
  • Emulator: FCE Ultra
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Uses a game restart sequence
  • Manipulates luck
  • Special Goal: Collects one item
  • Special: Uses password to get suitless Samus (does not affect gameplay)
I was inspired to do this movie after watching -ziplock-'s.
I Grabbed the Maru-Mari(Morph Ball) at the start. I then proceeded to kill Ridley and Kraid for their missle bonuses. After that, I went to Tourian to dispose of Mother Brain, while trying to avoid metroids at all cost, as I have no way of destroying or incapacitating them.
I used the door glitch to reach lower Norfair, and also to get to Kraid's hideout. Item drops from enemies were manipulated to give me what I needed. I used the restart sequence, Up+A on controller 2 while paused, four times to avoid backtracking. Although this run is faster than Arc's regular completion run, it should not be treated as such, because of the restart sequence. Without it, this run would be slower by around 2 minutes.
Many areas were improved over my previous 100% run. I was 73 frames faster after the first four rooms on this run, although about 1/3-1/2 of that is from optimizing the password entry. The first room in Tourian is much faster than in Arc's and my previous run. The escape sequence was also 6 time units faster than on Arc's run. I recorded this almost entirely frame-by-frame using the advance frame feature of FCE Ultra. The frame counter was also invaluable to judge time differences between different tactics along the way.
The biggest challenges were the Multiviola room in Ridley's hideout, and escaping the Metroids in Tourian. Ridley and Kraid didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. I needed more energy for Ridley. Kraid spawned poorly, causing him to fire his spines at a bad time, and nothing I tried would change the way he spawned. Other than that, I am very satisfied with the way the run came out.

Bisqwit: This movie is faster than Arc's movie, even though it uses an inferior strategy. All because of up+A? Good, good.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #420: Zoizite's NES Metroid "1-item" in 11:51.08
Emulator Coder
hehe, not much to criticize here :P Interesting to note how you beat the currently best run (13:31) with over 1 min 30 sec. With only 1 item :P Wonder if anyone will ever be able to beat this ;)
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
This was very good. If there's an interest in multiple categories of Metroid timeattacks I don't see any reason not to publish it. Thinking of doing a regular timeattack for this game? Arc's time can obviously be improved some.
Former player
If I did a regular time attack, I wouldn't use the Up+A restart, since it really wouldn't be fair to, and if not compared to Arc's, it would add too many categories for one game. I have been thinking about it, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do next, though.
If for honesty, you want apologies, I don't sympathize.
Active player (410)
I haven't seen this video and don't know that game very much, only the Snes version, but why shouldn't Arc's video be replaced by this one? What's irregular in that timeattack?
I think an earlier version of Zelda didn't use the Up-A, and was obsoleted by one that did. But well, this seems to be a constant source of dispute if Up-A is better or not. I know what I think. Perhaps it is better left decided to the Powers That Be.
Former player
Phil wrote:
I haven't seen this video and don't know that game very much, only the Snes version, but why shouldn't Arc's video be replaced by this one? What's irregular in that timeattack?
Arc's route would be faster by at least 2 minutes using the restart, so this would be horridly inefficient if going purely for time.
If for honesty, you want apologies, I don't sympathize.
Phil: This timeattack only collects one item. This makes it slower than Arc's at some points. But it also uses Up-A which makes it slightly faster on the whole.
Former player
Now I can rest in peace - beautiful!
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
I don't see what's wrong with using Up+A. If Arc can make a faster speed run by using Up+A for his route, then I don't why we should prevent him. In the mean time, this route which uses a feature mentioned in the instruction booklet is the fastest run available.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Former player
I think it has been covered that the up+A technique wasn't mentioned in the instruction booklet, but also it doesn't matter much because that's more of a Twin Galaxies rule for real time console runs. I wouldn't imagine that anyone has plans (including Arc) to take down the run using the reset because it's fine the way it is. Sure, someone could make a less quality run using the restart to beat the time posted, but Zoizite could have used it all over the place to improve the 100% run I'm sure. As for the run, do you think this would be faster using the restart sequence after leaving Kraid's? I think by the time you get to the top of the elevator, the game would have restarted, then you would have that small stretch to the first door to get you on top. I'm sure you thought you had used it enough already, but I'm just specualting.
Player (70)
I voted YES on this run because it rocked.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
-ziplock- wrote:
I think it has been covered that the up+A technique wasn't mentioned in the instruction booklet
It wasn't?
-ziplock- wrote:
, but also it doesn't matter much because that's more of a Twin Galaxies rule for real time console runs.
I don't understand them at all. I've read some of their rules and they seem to be anti anything that isn't well known despite it being mentioned in the instructions, in game, and intentionally programmed in.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Former player
They go for the "spirit of the game" thing. I would guess that the programmers put the up+a in for debugging. But it is weird that a site that doesn't show the videos doesn't allow the technique and a site that does show the videos does.
I just watched the run, I need to find a better word 'cause Impressive isn't enough! Great! Splendid! There is a few things though: 1.The second time you roll through that tunnel right behind that enemy (hope you get what I aim for) you don't get hit when you jump past it, but you get hit the first time. Why? 2. In Tourian, at the first lava hole (or whatever it is) you fell down and got hit without any reason (I guess there is a reason but I don't see it). Explain, please. 3. This might be dumb but isn't ti possible to jump lower when you pas over Kraid? I'll wote as soon as I've got answeres, but it'll probably be yes ;)
Bein' away for like five years, and not a single new post in the ZSNES forum... :'-(
Editor, Active player (296)
I have nothing against using up+a in this movie (although I don't know if it was intended as a debugging key). However, this presents a question (I hate these): If someone submits a movie that "beats" Arc's movie - using the same route and items, but because of using up+a, what should we do? I wouldn't like that happening, but if it happened, should the movie be rejected, or accepted as a successor to Arc's movie? I wouldn't make it a new category, because it brings not really anything new.
Active player (410)
Personally, I think it should be replaced.
-ziplock- wrote:
I would guess that the programmers put the up+a in for debugging.
When entering UP + A you get the password for your curent lokation so I doubt that it's ment to be a debugging key.
Bisqwit wrote:
If someone submits a movie that "beats" Arc's movie - using the same route and items, but because of using up+a, what should we do
Well, according to the rules I don't think it can be rejected. It wouldn't do anything that's wrong unless it looks much worse.
Bein' away for like five years, and not a single new post in the ZSNES forum... :'-(
Incredible movie! These kinds of humanly-impossible runs are what this site is made for. I really like how you rapidly alternate between regular shots and missles when fighting Kraid, that's just wonderful. I do have a question, though... in the Multiviola room, you kill one of them but you shoot it slowly. Is this the only way to keep it from moving, or can you destroy it by frame-by-framing 8 shots into it before it hits you?
Former player
I love this movie. Frame-by-frame control was very impressive. Jumping looked very precise. Many enemies were killed for items, which is something I felt was missed from earlier versions. The only nagging doubt I have is whether another UP+A should be used exiting Kraid's lair. As far as the replace/coexist debate, I think both Arc's run and this run can coexist. Arc didn't exploit glitches or the UP+A, and this run did.
Do Not Talk About Feitclub http://www.feitclub.com
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [237] NES Metroid "low%" by Zoizite in 11:51.08