Stuff!

• Bizhawk 1.4.0
  • Aims for 100% completion.
  • Uses death to save time.
  • Abuses programming errors in the game (Hardly...).
The first of the three Donkey Kong Land games for the Game Boy. While DKL2 and DKL3 are both similar to their SNES versions, DKL has practically nothing in common with DKC. And in this game you can just as well use Donkey Kong, as both monkeys are equally fast. There is an enemy boost (Krushapult) you can do with Diddy Kong. But because of the time it takes to switch characters, it didn't end up being useful.
This run aims to find all the bonuses and does that with an in game time of 31:09.

More stuff

Rolling

The first roll you make in a stage is a slow one, unless you start the roll when landing from a jump, falling out from a bonus does not work. After that first roll, all of the following rolls will have the same speed as running. However, the first and last frame of the roll, your speed is 0. Rolling is therefor avoided quite frequently
You don't get any speed boosts from rolling into enemies, like the case is in the DKC-series.

Jumping

Jumping/falling is slow compared to running. Though if you jump on an enemy, your speed will be the same as running. Bouncing on enemies is often used to avoid jumping up cliffs normally or having to roll down a cliff, to avoid the two frames with speed 0.
When you are on an animal, your speed stays the same whenever you are running or jumping. Using them is almost always faster because of that. Sadly they aren't kept after going through a bonus stage.

Bonuses

Goal of this run was to find all the bonuses. In most cases there are simply barrels shooting you to the bonus area. Sometimes you can jump into these areas without using the barrel.
You never have to finish the bonus stage. It's usually faster to just commit suicide and get back as fast as possible. Though because of the death animation, when you don't jump down into a hole, quite often it's faster to run to the exit instead.
For two bonuses in the game, unknown why, I found that once you have finished them, you are able to roll/jump in midair.

Level comments.

TODO

Thanks

FellowFeather/Wawlconut/RedYoshi for his real time speedruns and for watching my run to point out where I had made silly mistakes.
Blaziken257 for some research in general regarding the game.
The WIP watchers.

Special Thanks

Adelikat for including my requests for Bizhawk, which made this run a lot less painful to do. Thanks <3!
Feos for making the encode.

feos: Accepting for Moons and publishing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3987: Tompa's GB Donkey Kong Land "100%" in 35:12.91
Experienced player (703)
Yes vote. but why have you used BizHawk?
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
got4n wrote:
Is there any reason not to use BizHawk?
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Emulator Coder, Skilled player (1141)
Mothrayas wrote:
Uses .NET, with all that it entails.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
Ilari wrote:
Mothrayas wrote:
Uses .NET, with all that it entails.
Fair enough, but if it does work for the user, I don't see any notable reason not to go with it.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
WJY
Yes vote. I wonder if somebody is making a DKL3 TAS.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
I hate this game so flipping much. Those graphics just give me a headache. They look like mashed potatoes. That's really the only reason I watched this run. But despite my deep resentment for this fugly game I enjoyed it. I can't really judge the technical quality, but if something is suboptimal, blame this game. Ugh those graphics suck. I'm not a firm believer that graphics are an important part in gaming, but god these stink... Sorry, I have some unfinished business with this game. Now to find a copy of this game and put some bullets through it. Oh yeah, yes vote.
Mothrayas wrote:
got4n wrote:
Because it's super-secret product placement for the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater video games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Experienced player (601)
First, I'm really glad that DKL finally has a full, high quality TAS. I'ts completely unique from the DKC series. Also, very impressive job Tompa, and the final world is especially fun to watch. (Yes vote, by the way). Edit: Why was the encode not done in the Super Game Boy mode?
Current Project: - Mario Kart 64
Editor, Emulator Coder, Site Developer
Weatherton wrote:
Edit: Why was the encode not done in the Super Game Boy mode?
Because the run was not recorded in Super Game Boy mode, and you can't switch without losing sync (even in VBA, usually). As for why the run was not recorded in Super Game Boy mode? bsnes SGB is slow and unwieldy, and there are no other SGB emulators worth mentioning. The "always record in SGB" rule was for a time when VBA was the only game in town. When SGB and regular GB are in completely different emulation cores, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense any more. Note to encoder: If desired, the game can be encoded as it would have appeared on a CGB. GB->Change Palettes...->Load...->DONKEYKONGLAND.pal
Joe
I'm happy to see DKL finally get a full run as well. It wasn't exactly a favorite of mine, but I owned it back in the day and found it to be the best of the GB DK games mostly due to the game having entirely new stages and game worlds and not just remakes of the SNES stages like the sequels had. This run was very well optimized and used a few entertaining time-saving glitches too. Yes vote from me.
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (849)
I'm glad that the run is finished now. I have seen the WIPs and was in awe so when I watched the full run, i was very amazed and entertained! Wonderful job, Tompa! ^^ Powerful yes vote!
Current projects: failing at life
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Wow, I'd forgotten I played this game as a kid. I was disappointed at the time with how little it resembled DKC, but now it's cool to see the game differences. I'd say this game was definitely harder too. I was worried the game would feel sort of slow, clunky, and repetitive, since you couldn't get speed boosts from rolling. However, I'm glad I was wrong. You made some incredible bounces and tricky jumps. While you didn't get much of a chance to show off some of the new stuff in the game (like the nautilus that chases you, the bouncy tornadoes, the buttons that rotate barrels, and the KONG-crazy level near the start of World 4), I'm very happy with how this looks. Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
^ i'd say the new stuff got shown as much as it could in any speedrun. in fact, it brought back some chilling memories to see that even with optimal swimming, that nautilus keeps up pretty well... hell, that'd make a good screenshot. nicely done tompa, one more thing to love you for.
Expert player (2581)
I agree with the previous posts, well mostly. I also had this cartridge as a kid and the nostalgic value of this run is really high! Yes vote from me too.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2405] GB Donkey Kong Land "100%" by Tompa in 35:12.91
Post subject: Not a scratch on it!
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
I actually thought the graphics were pretty decent considering the available palette of barely a plural amount of colors. Though I imagine on an actual game boy with blurry screen syndrome, this was very hard to visually parse. The clam boss music is from Blast Corps. Or maybe this came first? That was neat to hear. I guess Rare did both, so it's not completely surprising. Edit: I might just be looking for it now, but it seems like there is a Battletoads-sounding track in one of the cave levels and a Snake Rattle & Roll track as well somewhere, but I'm not as sure about these as I am about the Blast Corps one. Regardless, I like a lot of the music. Edit again (hello IRC!) It also sounds like the "Northern Hemisphere" track was remixed in Psycho Waluigi.
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)