Today marks Sonic's 22nd anniversary, what better way to celebrate this momentous day in video game history than with a new TAS :D

Game objectives

General Comments

This run improves the currently published movie by 3695 in-game frames (1 minute 1.58 seconds). It breaks down as follows.
LevelNew TimePrevious TimeFrames Saved
Green Hill 10:23::430:23::48-5
Green Hill 20:13::030:13::030
Green Hill 30:30::450:30::450
Marble 10:15::040:15::040
Marble 20:10::570:15::19-262
Marble 30:27::250:27::250
Spring Yard 10:21::310:21::310
Spring Yard 20:26::100:26::12-2
Spring Yard 30:40::150:42::31-136
Labyrinth 10:34::060:34::07-1
Labyrinth 20:25::340:25::50-16
Labyrinth 30:27::261:03::34-2168
Star Light 10:15::360:15::360
Star Light 20:10::200:10::21-1
Star Light 30:26::220:26::37-15
Scrap Brain 10:28::390:31::19-160
Scrap Brain 20:11::450:27::14-929
Scrap Brain 30:09::420:09::420
Final1:12::011:12::010
Total7:50::248:51::59-3695
860 frames were lost due to longer score tallies and 416 on grounds of the longer transition to Scrap Brain 3. The gains and losses through capsule animals manipulation evened out. 3 less lag frames. My choice for a different ending lengthened the input file by 205 frames. All in all this results in a saving of 2217 real-time frames (36.95 seconds).

Level Comments/Improvements

Green Hill 1

• I hit the Buzz Bomber from the bottom and gain extra speed towards the ground (0:09), this makes the following jump just high enough to hit the spring → 3 frames
  • Higher exit speed out of the loop → 2 frames

Marble 2

• Different setup for the level wrap → 262 frames

Spring Yard 2

• Slightly higher speeds (0:11-0:17) → 2 frames

Spring Yard 3

• New zip (0:20) → 136 frames

Labyrinth 1

• Jumped a frame earlier in front of the third Burrobot (0:11) → 1 frame

Labyrinth 2

• Jumped on the button from the right side (0:23) → 16 frames

Labyrinth 3

• I saw a video by "SonicBoom737" where he used a cork in Scrap Brain 3 to attain zipping speed. I applied it in this level and succeeded in the level wrap → 2168 frames

Star Light 2

• A marginally lower jump (0:01) got me into zipping position a frame earlier → 1 frame

Star Light 3

• Subpixel positioning made me get the good zipping speed on the first possible frame of zipping (0:07) → 5 frames
  • While glitching through a wall, I got ejected 64 pixels further downwards (off-screen) → 5 frames
  • Same as the first zip (0:12) → 4 frames
  • The spike ball hit Dr. Robotnik one frame earlier (7th hit), since I jumped on the seesaw at a higher point → 1 frame

Scrap Brain 1

• I managed to get to the upper route after the zip → 160 frames

Scrap Brain 2

• Jumping off the cogs gains enough speed to pass through the wall. At first I thought, jumping off the second one would be disadvantageous, since it disallows the level wrap but zipping to the right, across the whole level, turned out to be 13 frames faster compared to a hypothetical level wrap → 929 frames

Concluding Comments

Thanks to my sis for introducing me to Sonic when I was a child :) I'd also like to thank Mike89, watching his performance of Sonic 1,2,3&K at CGDQ sparked my interest in Sonic speedrunning and eventually tasing, Aglar and marzojr for their run on this site, latter especially for his two lua scripts that eased tasing a lot. FuzZerd, Upthorn, Carretero and JXQ for their TASes of this game, NitroGenesis for his comment that made me push the Marble 2 time down to 10, SonicBoom737 for his video that displayed the cork zip and ultimately TimpZ for his streaming of Sonic 2 attempts, which was the perfect relaxation between tasing sessions.
Without all of you, this run wouldn't have been possible <3

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: A very good run and a very solid improvement to its predecessor. Accepting as an improvement to the previous run.
feos: Publishing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #3994: Tee-N-Tee's Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog in 14:28.60
I love unexpected submissions like this. Though I guess it makes sense that you have created this TAS considering it was you who found most (if not all) of the improvements over the previous run. I'm surprised to see the first act of Green Hill was improvable when several excellent TASers have tried optimizing it over the years. Anyway, this movie was awesome. Good job!
AzumaK wrote: I swear my 1 year old daughter's favorite TASVideo is your R4MI run :3 xxNKxx wrote: ok thanks handsome feos :D Help improving TASVideos!
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
One more real-time speedrunner applying his skills to the TAS scene. :) I am really glad to see your run on the bench. You probably know me on Youtube as sylabulus. I never commented on your channel, but saw most of your recent realtime runs. The fact that your run beats Aglar&marzojr’s TAS, and that in some levels you managed to get improvements from pure precision improvements, makes me really admire at the job you’ve done. I’m not afraid of to claim that I have to give this submission the strongest Yes I ever gave. I also love the brilliant level endings which remind me of Aglar’s S2 TAS. (upd) I suggest frame 31866 as the screenshot :)
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Expert player (3566)
I'm certainly not surprised you were able to take the game to such an incredible level. Your IL TAS of MZ2 already showed it as it was certainly something that not anybody would come up with. Biggest surprise was the creative way using the wheels in SBZ2, LBZ3 shouldv'e been even bigger but I looked at the time before watching the run and expected the zip to be there. I'm definitely not sure I would've matched this time if I'd given it another go - deeply impressed about your precision work! For the acts where you didn't gain any time I suppose you at least tried to - except for maybe MZ1 and SLZ1? In that case I guess you gained some pixels/subpixels but it wasn't enough to save any frame? This also makes the no-zip run even more worthwhile, hope you'll take on that as well - you'll have a fun time with it:) Though one might have to change the rules for it slighty as one can now level-wrap in SBZ2 without using zips so banning level wraps would pretty much be a must as it's supposed to be a kind of low-glitch run. Great job once again, and hope this is only the start of an awesome TASing career.
feos wrote:
Only Aglar can improve this now.
how do you disable the hitbox display? it's kind of distracting...
Easy yes vote. For both the abrupt submission and the amazing new tricks conveyed throughout the run.
If you want to see some of my TASes, http://www.youtube.com/ltrp300
Post subject: sonic 1: YouTube
Wow that Labyrinth zone 3 zip was incredible! It's not a hard decision, YES!
Active player (432)
I liked EVERTHING about this run. Very very nice job Tee-N-Tee! I appreciated your art after you finished a stage. The zig zag method made this run so much fun to watch :) Easy yes vote and I would certainly not object if this run recieved a star. All we need now is people to tas and submit sonic runs for Gamecube. Edit: I also would kindly request a high quality encode of this lovely run :)
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Editor
Labyrinth 3 was the best. What boss fight?
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
That was a fantastic watch. Enthusiastic Yes Vote™.
Previous Name: boct1584
Active player (306)
I don't know what to say... Yes, what else?
Post subject: Re: #3994: Tee-N-Tee's Genesis Sonic The Hedgehog in 14:28.6
Player (12)
Easy yes vote for me too! By the way, I'm throwing an idea like that: How about a real-time TAS of Sonic too? It may sound counter-intuitive, but the movie could be as impressive and more entertaining if Sonic waited as much as possible before starting each level and maintain a low score afterwards to reduce the overall waiting time. And of course, it would be faster! :D
TASVideoAgent wrote:
My choice for a different ending lengthened the input file by 205 frames.
Can you elaborate on that? I'm not a Sonic connoisseur, and not only do I not understand the reasoning behind this decision, but I don't see anywhere in your comments where those 205 frames are located.
Patashu
He/Him
Amazing! Loved the annihilation of Labyrinth 3. Yes vote :) Do you have any plans for future TASes?
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
SmashManiac wrote:
Can you elaborate on that? I'm not a Sonic connoisseur, and not only do I not understand the reasoning behind this decision, but I don't see anywhere in your comments where those 205 frames are located.
That’s right after the final boss fight, I guess.
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Yes, faster and that zip
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Great job Tee-N-Tee! Easily a yes vote.
My user name is rather long, feel free to call me by htwt or tape.
Player (104)
A big Yes! I love Labyrinth 3! Nice Work :)
Yes vote, but I think is possible in Final Zone do 2hit attack, sometimes I did this, but is hard to do.
Player (158)
Aglar wrote:
For the acts where you didn't gain any time I suppose you at least tried to - except for maybe MZ1 and SLZ1? In that case I guess you gained some pixels/subpixels but it wasn't enough to save any frame?
I tried to improve every act, also the ones where improvements seemed to be unlikely like MZ1 and SLZ1, in latter act, I tested the technique from MZ2 and came very close (10-20 subpx iirc) from getting the level wrap to work from a roll-jump, which could've saved several frames. Sometimes, due to the level layout (platforms, springs, certain enemies) pixel/subpixel improvements couldn't be kept throughout the whole act.
SmashManiac wrote:
TASVideoAgent wrote: My choice for a different ending lengthened the input file by 205 frames. Can you elaborate on that? I'm not a Sonic connoisseur, and not only do I not understand the reasoning behind this decision, but I don't see anywhere in your comments where those 205 frames are located.
Technically, no input after frame 51744 is required to beat Final Zone in 1:12::01 and thus the game, but the outcome would look dull imo, that's why I did an ending I'm happy with.
Patashu wrote:
Do you have any plans for future TASes?
At this time, no.
Hikaruon wrote:
Yes vote, but I think is possible in Final Zone do 2hit attack, sometimes I did this, but is hard to do.
I tested many possibilities which might work to double hit him, like glitching through the ground, but unfortunately there's nothing to stand on and Sonic falls to his death. You're probably referring to the fact that Robotnik can be hit again after hit 8, since he retracts slower, but this results in a hit counter underflow and it would require an additional 255 hits to defeat him :D
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (550)
Haha wow, never thought I'd be thanked on a Sonic the Hedgehog submission. Good show Tee-N-Tee, you got a yes vote from over here.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Active player (301)
Welp, time to try and get that Lab 3 zip on console... Easy yes, great job!
marzojr
He/Him
Experienced player (748)
This is a very nice work indeed. Out of curiosity: did you try the MZ2 technique in MZ3? It seems like it could work: (but not necessarily save time) Edit 2: Now that I watched it in frame advance it seems that it won't work, so nevermind. Edit:
Hikaruon wrote:
This is only possible to do on the last hit: on all other hits, Eggman keeps flashing far longer than he needs to in order to get back into the ground (or would, except that he stops flashing once he is safe).
Marzo Junior
Found a nicovideo encode, if you want the 60fps experience. Link to video Don't ask me why the title claims it's warpless.
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
GhostSonic
He/Him
Why does Sonic's jump sound effect sound wrong in these encodes? Yes vote by the way.