(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Impossible Any% in 16.04 minutes (20:12.94 full movie time with credits) Link for DxDiag log and Checksums
My first TAS run. I felt like doing it since I haven't yet seen a full run on Impossible with glitch abuse. The beginning is a bit unoptimized since I was still learning how these TAS runs worked. But it turned out better later, and it's pretty satisfying to me for a first TAS.
The main reason the game is beaten so fast despite being on Impossible is a glitch that allows you to reload your "ghost savefile": unlike the other levels, pressing R on Impossible sends you straight to the Select File screen, but the game takes a while to erase your previous run (the time seems to be longer if you have all 3 savefiles), so pressing A sends you straight back to your file but in the initial section. Given that, the Warp Route works even on Impossible, just in a different way (and with less skipping). Since the Room of Divine Transportation is only seen once in this run, the only proof of that is me being able to go to the Minecart section straight after Dracula.

feos: Judging!
feos: Added YT module.
feos: This movie loses too much time to the existing WIP in the rooms where they had similar conditions to run through. Visible loses included. I can not accept a movie that does not even match the existing records.
Now about the concept. This run plays on Impossible, which is the hardest difficulty. It has almost no checkpoints and prevents their abuse. It allows Game Over glitch in different conditions than the regular difficulty run, and it can skip different rooms than that. So both would be interesting to watch, which means both are expected to be submitted and will most likely be well received.
Glitchiness. I can not consider Game Over invulnerability and room skips game breaking glitches. They are just major, not game breaking. So they all should be allowed for Any% and Impossible branches. For the people who are distracted by those glitches' look, there must also be a 100% run, picking all secret items and avoiding warps and major glitches (namely, Game Over abuse and room skipping).
This run is rejected even though it was very well received, proving the branch concept.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4031: Ji-chan's Windows I Wanna Be the Guy "Impossible" in 20:12.94
Experienced player (703)
This does not beat the current WR, so No vote. ---- Edit by FractalFusion: Moved "current WR" Youtube as link to prevent confusion. No encode of this submission has been posted yet.
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
got4n wrote:
This does not beat the current WR, so No vote.
That's a run on Medium difficulty. This run plays the game on Impossible.
Experienced player (703)
If I'll remember fast the impossible version only removes all check point;
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
got4n wrote:
Yes, which your video abuses considerably.
Tristal wrote:
got4n wrote:
IIRC the run was done in Medium specifically to maximize the opportunities to abuse the checkpoints.
riking
They/Them
Tristal wrote:
got4n wrote:
To clarify, as I had a hard time thinking about that for a bit: they're abusing the savepoint in the section right after 8 minutes?
Active player (372)
OMG. What the hell did I just watch?!? That was like all my childhood video-game memories on acid. Entertaining? Absolutely, in a sick, twisted, WTF way.
Skilled player (1150)
I can't watch it. Did this submission improve Post #280547 Glitched and Post #281038 less-glitched these 2 run?
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I liked the run. But the glitched version seems to have some more rooms skipped. Did you compare your run to it? I will post precise comparisons on the rooms both movies run through later.[/list]
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Ugh, having the "GAME OVER" text on every screen just ruins the entertainment for me. Unfortunate. I'm going to abstain from voting since I didn't watch it all the way through.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
The game over text is fairly annoying, but the run was still quite entertaining for me. A couple of missed bullets also stuck out but not enough for me to consider this reject worthy. I'll give this a yes vote.
Thank you for the encoding and for the overall good ratings on it. I'm sorry for the missed bullets or not-very-frame-precise movement in some parts, it's my very first TAS, but this is very satisfying for me and it kinda motivated me to maybe TAS another game in the future.
feos wrote:
I liked the run. But the glitched version seems to have some more rooms skipped. Did you compare your run to it? I will post precise comparisons on the rooms both movies run through later.[/list]
Indeed, I had watched it before. But Impossible uses a different way of skipping due to the lack of savefiles, making some rooms unskippable (eg. path to Dracula) but others that couldn't be skipped in Medium but are skipped on Impossible (eg. the part before/after the KKK boss), but otherwise most skips from Medium can't be repeated on Impossible.
(◕‿◕)
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
There are a few little spots that can be improved, comparing to the 18:08 run on Medium. But definitely this run is much more enjoyable, considering the Medium run has so much R abuse. I think someone should make a version that doesn't use any of the major glitches. It's also interesting how you managed to reload saves on Impossible, and skipped part of the final castle. The part where your player character falls from the Metroid section into the Bowser part to get the orb still boggles my mind to this day.
Derakon wrote:
Ugh, having the "GAME OVER" text on every screen just ruins the entertainment for me.
Only 2 minutes worth of screens with "GAME OVER" text are present, from 2:20 to 4:00 and 13:55 to 14:15.
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
Although, the run has a lot of missed shoot - not counting those which are shoot in a pattern or sync with background music - and lacks a bit of entertainment. At places where you have to wait for something do more dramatic action. But technically the run is solid. Yes vote.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
FractalFusion wrote:
It's also interesting how you managed to reload saves on Impossible, and skipped part of the final castle.
The reload one I found by accident because I liked to test myself on how far I could get on Impossible, and then I was like "what where is tyson" and then saw his portrait on the Room of Transportation, then after some research I found it out why and how to take advantage of it (in a human run you use the Room of Transportation's beaten bosses warpers as pseudo-saves). Actually, I've once managed to reach Lu Bu's room on Impossible without tool-assistance because of that glitch, but even if I cleared I wouldn't count the run as 100% legitimate due to partially trivializing the purpose of Impossible. The warping on Haggar's room was another thing I found by accident and another thing that motivated me to try out making a TAS. Once I learned how it worked I thought "this could save a few seconds in a TAS run", and then came with the idea of trying making a TAS myself, since although I run Win 7 I do have a XP VM so I can run Hourglass flawlessly, though I can't record any video in it due to lack of performance (my laptop is not very fast, and it running inside a VM only makes it worse).
(◕‿◕)
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I can't comment on whether this run beats all records; it seems like Medium is sufficiently different from Impossible to make the Medium run a somewhat unfair comparison. I can comment only on entertainment. I found this to be pretty fun. I was worried that a glitchy IWBTG run would skip too much of the game, and this turned out to not be the case. There was still plenty to see and tons of precision stunts. This could be improved a little in the future, but it didn't feel sloppy to the point of rejection. I voted Yes on this. I'd also love to see a no-major-glitches run in the future.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Patashu
He/Him
mklip2001 wrote:
I'd also love to see a no-major-glitches run in the future.
Seconded. You could use the Glitchless category here as a guideline for what should be avoided: http://iwbtgrta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Active player (432)
I think some of you are being too harsh on him. While it can be improved, it certainly ain't that bad in entertainment and optimization. I also vote yes.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Former player
got4n wrote:
This does not beat the current WR, so No vote. .
Voting is to determine if it was entertaining. Your voting on something irrelevant. That said, a bunch of people seem to vote for other reasons other than entertainment. So please dont think I am singling you out.
Patashu
He/Him
Heidman wrote:
got4n wrote:
Voting is to determine if it was entertaining. Your voting on something irrelevant. That said, a bunch of people seem to vote for other reasons other than entertainment. So please dont think I am singling you out.
I thought it was not allowed to accept TASes that do not beat all existing records for the category they beat (unless there is some ulterior reason why it cannot, such as a change of rules needed to make the TAS entertaining, or emulator differences, or of course if it is a playaround) Of course entertainment is important too.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Former player
Right, but it is right a the top "Vote: Did you find this movie entertaining? (Vote after watching!)" Nothing wrong with pointing out the other things as well, but at least vote for what it is meant for.
Editor, Player (44)
The objective criteria (like beating existing records, etc.) are objective, so there's not a whole lot of point on people voting on them; it won't change whether they're actually met by the run or not.
z1mb0bw4y
She/Her
Patashu wrote:
Heidman wrote:
got4n wrote:
I thought it was not allowed to accept TASes that do not beat all existing records for the category they beat (unless there is some ulterior reason why it cannot, such as a change of rules needed to make the TAS entertaining, or emulator differences, or of course if it is a playaround) Of course entertainment is important too.
This is a different category, though, as this is done on Impossible difficulty which prevents save point abuse. I'm not sure that save point abuse saves a full 2 minutes, but I haven't seen the run yet either so I can't vouch for whether or not it's faster.
Patashu
He/Him
I agree fully - the "Impossible" TAS is a different category from the "Medium" TAS and can't directly be compared.