Goal

• Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulates luck
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Emulator used: FCEUX 2.10.50
length: 30:21.08
The submission is 1239 frames or 23.65 seconds faster than Aglar's movie.

Introduction

At first I am sorry that neither Tiancaiwhr nor I know English well. So I can only express my words simply and constrainedly. Please forgive me for the inconvenience caused to you.
About improvements:(Omit last "MAN" of robots' names)
  1. Route changed. Go to TOP first. And use the glitch of getting RJ in advance. So it can help pass MAGNET with RJ. After getting RJ, NEEDLE did not have to be attacked first. So it can be attacked by GE.
  2. Use TO twice and then change to NE when battle against WOOD. It can save a round.
  3. Use SP when battle against AIR. It can avoid paging when change weapons.
The main detail of improvements is handling lag. It can be divided into 3 parts roughly.
  1. Use the glitch of purging enemies, such as TOP and SPARK. Thank to GlitchMan's discovery very much.
  2. Kill more enemies in some places, for example, the flight part in fortified SHADOW.
  3. By accident.
In addition better luck also plays a role. For example, METAL jumped shorter at the beginning of the battle. And CRASH' action can make itself to be killed earlier because ROCK just needs to jump once.
The introduction stops here. Thanks.

feos: Accepting this improvement and publishing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4033: Pike, Tiancaiwhr's NES Mega Man 3 in 30:21.08
Quick-encode (syncs on FCEUX 2.2.1): Link to video
All syllogisms have three parts, therefore this is not a syllogism.
Skilled player (1149)
Yes vote, of cause. edit: watch on bilibili (60fps) http://www.bilibili.tv/video/av679967/
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Excellent work guys! Yes vote!
My user name is rather long, feel free to call me by htwt or tape.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Spectacular! I really like the changes I'm seeing here. This definitely gets a Yes vote. I have a few questions: * Can you share more details about the "purging glitch" in the Top or Spark stages? What about the early Rush Jet glitch? * I saw a place in Top Man where you shot to the left, but an enemy on the right was killed. How did that work? * In the Wood Man fight, why start with Top Spin? I understand the idea of saving a round, but Top Spin is pretty weak... is it the only other weapon which can damage Wood Man when the leaves are up?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Interesting. I didn't realize that if you "cheated" the Rush Jet in a level, then levels after that would give it to you "legitimately". Nice run! Easy yes vote.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Expert player (3566)
Nice to finally see an up to date TAS of this game. Big kudos to you for making it and such a great work it is. I only got 1 question from watching it. At the Spark Man revisiting stage in the second room where you climb up the ladder you shoot the enemy from the ladder instead of falling off it first in order to avoid the long throwing animation. Was that faster? I'm quite sure I tested that shooting the enemy while in air beat that method, but maybe you found a way to make it even faster?
mklip2001 wrote:
* Can you share more details about the "purging glitch" in the Top or Spark stages? What about the early Rush Jet glitch?
You turn around for a frame when the enemies you want to purge have just entered the screen, if I remember right.
mklip2001 wrote:
* I saw a place in Top Man where you shot to the left, but an enemy on the right was killed. How did that work?
Seems to be horizontal underflow, that is the bullet wants to have a negative position when leaving he screen to the left which doesn't work and gets a very high horizontal position on the screen instead. This was new to me as well.
mklip2001 wrote:
* In the Wood Man fight, why start with Top Spin? I understand the idea of saving a round, but Top Spin is pretty weak... is it the only other weapon which can damage Wood Man when the leaves are up?
Top Spin is the only weapon that can damage him with the shield up. Something I didn't know when making the previous TAS.
feos wrote:
Only Aglar can improve this now.
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
Great improvement. Yes vote.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Editor, Experienced player (894)
These classic NES Mega Man games were a part of the reason I got into TASing, and it's always nice to see their runs improved. Yes vote.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
It's like this is Mega Man week now. Great improvement, voting yes.
Active player (432)
This came out of NOWHERE. Tremendous work. Never in a million years did I thought Aglar's top notch run could be beaten by this much. Clear yes vote. Also, I hope you two will tackle Mega Man 4 with all the crazy new zipping discovered by Glitchman and a few old ones which should be tried.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Former player
Amazing run! I didn't see anything that was unoptimized; very clean run! Easy Yes vote!
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Excellent glitching as usual. I like the new strategies. By the way, the glitch of getting RJ in advance is explained at http://www.mmhp.net/GameHints/MM3.html :
First, find a weapon energy pellet or capsule (a capsule would be better as you’ll get more energy for it.) Now, go to your sub screen. If you want Rush Marine, point to the Spark Shooter; if you need Rush Jet point to the Shadow Blades. (You therefore must have these weapons for this trick to work.) Now press right. Rush will appear, wagging his tail. Press A or Start. Pick up the energy capsule. Although the chosen mode won’t appear on your weapons list until you either use it or get it for real, you can now use Rush in this new form.
Expert player (2452)
Great, it's about time to see a new Mega Man 3 run. I will watch right after it's published. :)
Recent projects: SMB warpless TAS (2018), SMB warpless walkathon (2019), SMB something never done before (2019), Extra Mario Bros. (best ending) (2020).
Patashu
He/Him
Excellent to see a classic run from 2008 get improved. Yes vote.
AngerFist wrote:
Also, I hope you two will tackle Mega Man 4 with all the crazy new zipping discovered by Glitchman and a few old ones which should be tried.
This please :)
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Only thing I don't like is the fake death music kill glitch, especially on Shadow Man's stage. Best music in the game. :( Other than that, yes vote. Amazing run. Now can somebody hack out the BGM and then add in the awesome remix album by rushjet1? Link to video
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Pike
He/Him
Active player (398)
Thank everyone for the support.
Aglar wrote:
At the Spark Man revisiting stage in the second room where you climb up the ladder you shoot the enemy from the ladder instead of falling off it first in order to avoid the long throwing animation. Was that faster? I'm quite sure I tested that shooting the enemy while in air beat that method, but maybe you found a way to make it even faster?
I tried both methods. The time they spent is the same. I have just chosen one that is different. The other questions have been answered. So I will not repeat them.
Luck manipulation is too difficult.
Player (50)
thank you for the amazing run, yes vote.
FractalFusion wrote:
By the way, the glitch of getting RJ in advance is explained at http://www.mmhp.net/GameHints/MM3.html :
... Although the chosen mode won’t appear on your weapons list until you either use it or get it for real, you can now use Rush in this new form.
This doesn't explain how they have Rush Jet from the start of each level (with full weapon energy) after they do the glitch once in one level. That was what surprised me.
Derakon wrote:
FractalFusion wrote:
By the way, the glitch of getting RJ in advance is explained at http://www.mmhp.net/GameHints/MM3.html :
... Although the chosen mode won’t appear on your weapons list until you either use it or get it for real, you can now use Rush in this new form.
This doesn't explain how they have Rush Jet from the start of each level (with full weapon energy) after they do the glitch once in one level. That was what surprised me.
It is a very old known glitch (Nintendo Power era), and one I abused as a kid on the console. Once you finish the level or die after recharging the once non-existent Rush will be there as if you always had it. Yes vote, this game ties with Mega Man 2 as my favorite NES games ever!
Come squeeze and suck the day, come carpe diem baby
Experienced player (760)
YES YES YES
Ah, okay, I hadn't realized you got to keep it after doing the glitch once. Good to know!
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
Adding another yes vote to the pile. Good work.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Pike
He/Him
Active player (398)
Derakon wrote:
Ah, okay, I hadn't realized you got to keep it after doing the glitch once. Good to know!
I am sorry that I cannot help you. The glitch was discovered by accident. I used it but I do not know the principle.
Luck manipulation is too difficult.