Rom used: Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's - World Championship 2011 - Over the Nexus (Europe).nds
Genre: Strategy
Emulator: desmume-0.9.8-win32
Movie length: 725848 frames (03:22:12.63)
Goal: Win as less turns as possible! (therefore faster time completed)
Branch name: duel for justice :P
Character name: I named the character "L" because he's my favorite anime character (Death note)
Manipulate luck: you'll need to manipulate at:
  • Start of the duel
  • After shuffling the deck
  • Buying cards
In this game you just need to duel and duel, so building a good deck is important. Here I build 2 decks:
The reason I choose Exodia deck at Turbo duel Mode, because when it comes to Tag Turbo Duel, your cards will be the same, so I just need to manipulate to win the 1st duel, the rests are not!
Upgrade the Duel Runner is important, it saves much time than using the old one
Screen shot:
I recorded the AVI but the size is more than 3Gb, and it takes much much time to upload due to my slow connection! So there's not any encode yet!!! >_<!

feos: Accepting for Vault.
Spikestuff: Publishing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Patashu
He/Him
I recorded the AVI but the size is more than 3Gb, and it takes much much time to upload due to my slow connection! So there's not any encode yet!!! >_<!
You never want to upload lossless unencoded footage to youtube ever. If you are in a hurry, use a program like WinFF to encode it. If you want to produce the nicest quality encode, tasvideos has an encoding guide to read through.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
Spikestuff wrote:
Can you please explain why you used Europe version and not US or Jap. (Curious)
I chose it because it has the highest rate ^^
Spikestuff wrote:
EDIT: Also I can produce a temp encode right now so (I'll take Final Encode too) BRB.
Thank you very much for that! :D
Patashu wrote:
You never want to upload lossless unencoded footage to youtube ever. If you are in a hurry, use a program like WinFF to encode it. If you want to produce the nicest quality encode, tasvideos has an encoding guide to read through
^^ sorry! My internet connection is so bad that I stop uploading video for long time ago!
Patashu
He/Him
What is "highest rate"?
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
Patashu wrote:
What is "highest rate"?
Rate about quality and gameplay, among Japan, USA and Europe version, the Europe version has the highest rate! (from MOD EDIT: REMOVED LINK) But I think USA and Europe version are not different! Japan version? I don't know Japanese :P
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
Please do not link to Rom sites!!!
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Spikestuff
They/Them
TASeditor wrote:
Nobody did O.o
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
Spikestuff wrote:
TASeditor wrote:
Nobody did O.o
I did, sorry ^^!
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
Movie Rules wrote:
Due to the lower frame rate (50 Hz) and the fact that games are usually not modified in order to compensate for this, PAL versions of ROMs are generally not preferred, unless there are significant technical and/or entertainment merits to using this version.
I don't know if the run syncs on the (U) version, but if not I don't really see a good reason to use the (E) version over the (U) version. Still waiting for an encode though.
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Former player
Spikestuff wrote:
Can you please explain why you used Europe version and not US or Jap. (Curious)
Because it's absolutely irrelevant when it comes to handheld games?
Former player
Masterjun wrote:
Movie Rules wrote:
Due to the lower frame rate (50 Hz) and the fact that games are usually not modified in order to compensate for this, PAL versions of ROMs are generally not preferred, unless there are significant technical and/or entertainment merits to using this version.
I don't know if the run syncs on the (U) version, but if not I don't really see a good reason to use the (E) version over the (U) version. Still waiting for an encode though.
PAL games were only 50 Hz on console until Gen. 5 (with a few exceptions in Gen. 6).
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
andypanther wrote:
Masterjun wrote:
Movie Rules wrote:
PAL games were only 50 Hz on console until Gen. 5 (with a few exceptions in Gen. 6).
Oh, ok then =)
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
As a serious Yu-Gi-Oh! enthusiast, I'd like to know a few things.
  • What real-life sets does this game have cards up to?
  • Does the game's Forbidden and Limited List mirror a real one? And if not, what does it look like?
Questions aside, I'd like to go on-record as thinking that a game like this is far more deserving of a superplay than a speedrun. There are so many decks you can build in so many ways, that seeing the game obliterated by just two is kinda sad.
Previous Name: boct1584
Firstly, L IS the best anime character ever *points at his avatar* Secondly, I've been waiting for a TAS for a Yu-Gi-Oh game that actually works by the rules of the TCG rather than by some weird old rules, so I totally and utterly approve of this. I haven't watched it yet (no encode, but I might actually watch it without one if I find the 3 hours of time before one comes out) but I am 90% sure that this run could be done much much quicklier, maybe even twice as fast. However that would require alot of work and tons of deck planning, because with so many possible decks that can be built there's got to be more efficient ones than the above (eventhough I must admit Exodia is probably the best option for a TAS) and you might find glitches or something if you search long enough. Oh and I have to agree with boct1584, YGO is very deserving of a TAS, specially because of the almost infinite possible card combinations even with only very old sets, and because TCG+Luck Manipulation = FUN!
"You have found us, and with us my trust" -Wingblade 2052
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
boct1584 wrote:
As a serious Yu-Gi-Oh! enthusiast, I'd like to know a few things.
  • What real-life sets does this game have cards up to?
  • Does the game's Forbidden and Limited List mirror a real one? And if not, what does it look like?
Questions aside, I'd like to go on-record as thinking that a game like this is far more deserving of a superplay than a speedrun. There are so many decks you can build in so many ways, that seeing the game obliterated by just two is kinda sad.
  • At startup, the game has 7 sets: Dark Beginning 1+2, Dark Revelation Volume 1+2, Synchro Awaken, Invasion of Worms, Justice Strikes Back!
  • Forbidden and Limited List are September, 2010
Yes there are plenty ways to build deck, but with just 7 sets and aim to win as fast as possible, I can only build 1! Because I can't attack at turn #1, I must finish at turn #2, therefore, having monsters that can strike twice and many Equip cards, I can do that! For Turbo Duel, I can't use the same strategy as Normal Duel, because only Speed Spell cards that can be active! Therefore I have to finish at turn #3. Use other decks than Exodia are possible, but they will be slow when doing Tag Turbo Duel! (with Exodia I can win at the start of the Draw Phase)
Wingblade wrote:
I haven't watched it yet (no encode, but I might actually watch it without one if I find the 3 hours of time before one comes out) but I am 90% sure that this run could be done much much quicklier, maybe even twice as fast. However that would require alot of work and tons of deck planning, because with so many possible decks that can be built there's got to be more efficient ones than the above (eventhough I must admit Exodia is probably the best option for a TAS) and you might find glitches or something if you search long enough.
This game story is very liner, you just can be faster only by finish the duel quickier (but if there are glitches, it can be much faster! Unfortunately I haven't found one!)
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
What sets can be unlocked via gameplay or other means? Although I kinda doubt that using the 8-digit card codes from the real-life cards would fly in an "official" TAS.
Active player (434)
boct1584 wrote:
What sets can be unlocked via gameplay or other means? Although I kinda doubt that using the 8-digit card codes from the real-life cards would fly in an "official" TAS.
that's actually legit in megaman battle network TASes,i can't see why it wouldn't be allowed here since in MMBN you're getting a lot of chips earlier than you can actually find the Lotto numbers or from other external sources. With that out of the way,what cards do you believe would be faster than exodia?Does this game have F I N A L cards,turtle cannon,cyber stein+metamorph? http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Victory_condition
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
Cyber Stein has been Forbidden for almost its' entire existence. Destiny Board (F.I.N.A.L.) takes 5 turns. I don't think anything would be "faster" than Exodia; I was thinking in terms of enjoyability. Seeing the whole game beaten with only two decks deprives you of the entire point of Yu-Gi-Oh, which is building cool decks. (EDIT: Which was also my big beef with how this current playing format (March 2013) has been defined. Ever since Lord of the Tachyon Galaxy was released in May, you basically had 2 choices of deck to build if you wanted to play at top tables at Tier 2 sanctioned events; Dragon Rulers, or Jowgen/Kycoo Spellbooks. Both of which were ungodly expensive.)
Player (142)
And Turtle Cannon never worked. People just fell for it because it's almost how the card works. The same goes for the Wood Sprite / Butterfly Dagger Elma combo. I've been playing Yu-Gi-Oh! since it came it out but it got pretty crappy pretty soon. if you ask me, ever since Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning was released things went downhill.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Hoandjzj wrote:
Just to let you know the AVI dump was 52.2gb With Lagarith. Converted it using the encoder's way and it got down to 1.83gb Enjoy the temp encode btw (mentioning it 9hrs later)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
boct1584 wrote:
At Chapter 4, on Mountain Pass, when I build my Turbo deck, there are new 8 sets: Soul of the Duelist, Flaming Eternity, Cybernetic Revolution, Shadow Infinity, Power of the Duelist, Strike of Neos, Tactical Evolution, and Phantom Darkness! Using card codes is slower, because I can manipulate to get the card I want! (and you just can use code to get cards from available packs!)
grassini wrote:
With that out of the way,what cards do you believe would be faster than exodia?Does this game have F I N A L cards,turtle cannon,cyber stein+metamorph?
There is "Raising Energy" Trap Card that increases 1500 ATK, use 2 of them combo with "Mataza the Zapper" or "Hayabusha Knight" can finish the duel in turn #3 as well! Destiny Board (F.I.N.A.L.) takes 5 turns 8 turns, you need to active it at turn #2, and wait till the end of turn #8 Cyber Stein is Forbidden, but even if it's not, there is no strong Fusion cards to summon!
Spikestuff wrote:
Just to let you know the AVI dump was 52.2gb With Lagarith. Converted it using the encoder's way and it got down to 1.83gb Enjoy the temp encode btw (mentioning it 9hrs later)
OMG how heavy it is ^^! Thank you very much!
Active player (434)
don't wanna go offtopic here but to me,TCG in general is dead,i'll wait until these games become something in the F2P realm to get back to them. I do enjoy TCG videogames though like this one,lol. Thanks for the explanations,Hoandjzj(cyberstein was interesting because of blue eyes ultimate dragon/thousand eyes restrict,nothing else about it)
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Hoandjzj
He/Him
Experienced player (603)
Spikestuff wrote:
Temp Encode (Sideways encode to fill up more space): Link to video
Thank you very much! :D
Editor
Yea. This is why I stopped playing this game IRL. It's BS all over the place. That being said, the TAS abuses Luck and the AI hard. If it wasn't so dull in terms of entertainment would be more exciting.
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.