Submission Text Full Submission Page
A rare and overlooked gem of the NES library, Xexyz is a very enjoyable (if not very difficult) shooter/platformer with RPG elements tied up with beautiful music. I aimed for efficiency in this run, but ran into a few issues currency and weapon choice. It's a balancing act on weapon power to reduce boss battle time and time to power up weapons.
There is supposively a warp in the first seconds of the game to the last level, but how boring!

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: There's a six-years old submission that beats the game significantly faster, and the play generally looks quite improvable. Rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4085: Rushnerd's NES Xexyz in 28:50.02
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Spikestuff wrote:
No Vote
Of course. Well I didn't see it under NES movies so I assumed no one did a run. This one says cancelled though? There are no movies on this tas on youtube either so...
Spikestuff
They/Them
Complete Re-Edit:
Rushnerd wrote:
Well I didn't see it under NES movies so I assumed no one did a run. This one says cancelled though? There are no movies on this tas on youtube either so...
(minor modification to answer first part):
FractalFusion wrote:
However, we have existing runs on this site (this movie is listed under the "All" option at NES, but it can also be retrieved by searching "Xexyz" at the search page; this will also give non-published submissions as well). Because of this, you will need to be careful to compare your run with the existing one(s).
Even if it's cancelled the run can be very well produced and the person wanted to improve on their own time but the runner didn't do it and just left it as it is. Also YouTube isn't the only source for TAS runs. nico nico can have various TASes on many games (Had a look around there was nothing on Xexyz (亀の恩返し〜ウラシマ伝説〜) so yea just that other TAS exists.)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Rushnerd: I'll have a look at your run but please be aware that we have these past submissions floating around (the search module, with "Include submissions" checked, will probably catch them). Please do not let Spikestuff affect you negatively; he is known around here to spout nonsense at times, under the guise of constructive conversation (in particular, I have no clue what his last post here means; you can safely ignore it). Edit: Spikestuff's last post was changed.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Some nonsense. But only when it's due to a slow tas. I'm actually nice/insane/caring IRL.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Here is a comparison encode (ignores autoscrollers). Left is this submission, right is God Hand's submission: Link to video Rushnerd, I have a few points to note: - The other submission seems to have a faster walking speed at some point in the first level. Don't know why. - You use more items and upgrades, which tends to make it slower (even though the final bosses were defeated faster). - There are places where you stop a lot to dodge some enemy attacks. See the other submission; it dodges the attacks without as much stopping. - The parts where you jump into the ship to transition to autoscroller parts tends to be suboptimal. This also applies for the transition after beating a boss; I didn't put it in the comparison encode, but you can jump into the ship without having to walk left a few frames first. - There appear to be a lot of missed shots at the bosses. I don't know if the change from FCEU to BizHawk changed some of the delays, but it it clear from watching that it is improvable.
He might have used the jet feet upgrade, I forgot about that one, wasn't sure if it actually made you faster or not. Thanks for the suggestions and the encode, this is very constructive for me! The big question in doing this run for me was "should I upgrade weapons?" I figured not doing so would make the bosses take way too long, but it looks like he had the right idea. I might try this again with these tips.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom