(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Hi, here is our TAS of Super Mario Advance 4 E-Levels which took about 3month to finish This is a TAS of the e-reader levels of Super Mario Advance 4. To watch the movie you will need the .sav file of the e-reader levels (see link below). This TAS plays through all 32 e-reader levels. There are 5 other levels on the file, they are SMB3 remakes of the SMB1 levels 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, and 2-2. There is a 32 level limit to the number of files that can be on the game save, so these levels were not included.
Link to .sav file: http://www.filespace.org/BagOfMagicFood/alllevel.sav If you watch this on emulator: Don't forget to put savetype on Flash 128K
Lua script for interested: Download
Who and why choose this game? I (Got4n) chose this game because I was looking for mario games and then saw this game then searched on TASVideos if there was a tas of this game and saw an e-reader Submission. It was very interesting! Also because L+R does epic things Did a test run, then showed it to TehSeven, which was interested, then I gave to him my values then he did a lua script. He did many levels then I did the rest! (He did the autoscrollers except the bowser board ones)
What are these levels? (Thanks Mariowiki) The e-Reader is an add-on device for the Game Boy Advance released in 2002 that can read dot codes on special cards and interpret them into data. Depending on the card, the data may contain either information or some type of Minigame. Several complete Nintendo Entertainment System games were also made available on special packs of cards. It took a total of nine or ten dot codes (two per card) to store the data of an NES game.
What is missing and why those and not these? The listing of levels is endless, but the e-reader can only save 32 levels These are the "common" one
Order: Skip 2 (level 30 and 27) (I think) levels because they are faster with flower, and mostly because level 30 does not end because you can kill bowser with fire only. Else, all levels are done in order

Game objectives

• Emulator used: VBA-RR v24 svn480
  • Finish the 32 E-Reader levels
  • Does not have to use frog and thwomp power
  • Use L+R speed glitch

Other comments

Possible improvements: Bosses Strategy Luck Manipulation

Glitches

Walljump : There is a pixel where Mario walk and you can jump
Going through walls : Only works on autoscrollers, when jumping between the last pixel where mario falls and the first where he can land, you can go through walls (small only)
Speed: Mario max speed caps to 40, but doing L+R makes speed to 66

Useful thing

Weirdly, avoid downwards slopes when doing L+R but do L+R on upward slope

Suggested screenshot (frame 38466)

• Bag of Magic Food - For making the e-reader .sav files.
  • VGMaps.com - For level maps and the fan names of the JP-only levels.
  • caitsith2 - For encoding the e-reader levels so they could be downloaded to SRAM.
  • Zowayix - for showed me that this TAS could be potential
  • TehSeven - Lua & Helping & Coauthor

Nach: Replacing movie file with one that is 200 frames faster.

Nach: This movie needs a bit of work before it can become acceptable. There's a general lack of feeling in the viewers of this run that the player is exhibiting mastery over the game. There needs to be some noticeable pattern to items collected, and not look like things are just missed, or done haphazardly. Auto-scroll levels need to be more entertaining, and show off. Throughout the run, there are noticeable suboptimal playing. More precision needs to be given to jumping, falling, turning around. Seeing Mario crash into walls, at high velocity and turning around slowly looks really bad. Holding down B for the entire run is not advised. I also think you can benefit greatly from looking beyond the obvious solutions in various levels.
Rejecting, but I look forward to an improvement of this.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Once you got the feather/cape, was getting Kurbio's shoe really necessary? Couldn't you fly over the spikes and above the thwomps? Waiting so long for Kamek to convert a block for you? come on! The RNG not manipulable here?
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Experienced player (703)
Nach wrote:
Once you got the feather/cape, was getting Kurbio's shoe really necessary? Couldn't you fly over the spikes and above the thwomps?
impossible to be that quick it would make lose time
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
Experienced player (703)
Nach wrote:
Waiting so long for Kamek to convert a block for you? come on! The RNG not manipulable here?
I did not find ways to manipulate =/
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (775)
Finally a world-e TAS. xD But aren't there supposed to be 33 levels other than the remakes of the SMB1 levels? http://www.mariowiki.com/World-e
Experienced player (703)
Fortranm wrote:
Finally a world-e TAS. xD But aren't there supposed to be 33 levels other than the remakes of the SMB1 levels? http://www.mariowiki.com/World-e
Actually there are 37 levels but the last 5 levels were very rare and none of these levels was dumped
Player (12)
If the playaround TAS and hack TASes can be published, so can this! Voting yes.
Experienced player (703)
mathgrant wrote:
Thankd but it is not a hack those levels were in ereader expansion pack nintendo
Player (12)
got4n wrote:
mathgrant wrote:
Thankd but it is not a hack those levels were in ereader expansion pack nintendo
I know this isn't a hack, and that these levels were designed by Nintendo; I was merely justifying why I believe this TAS is publishable. Sometime, you should make a separate TAS for B Dash de Kakenukero! and the 5 SMB1 remakes. :P
Experienced player (703)
Right! If I could get it Work i would make one but,it would be recjeted on TASVideos
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
Title should be something around the lines of: "Super Mario Advance 4 "E-reader levels"" correct? Because you don't mention anything about any% in branch and SMB3 to add on is too much since it is already got its name.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Experienced player (703)
I mention any% in branch but when ill get my pc back i will modify the name
Experienced player (703)
Okay, thanks to Nach, I saw that on the last level, there is a RNG which is inskippable because we need flower and we cant breaks block, so Kamek position changes every 10 camera pixel position change! so manipulated to do the better block http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/10088938389318116 Link to video Here the encode of optimisation, can we change VBM please?
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Okay, this looks quite a bit better, but I'm still fairy certain that there's a couple other places in this run which can be done faster.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
negative_seven
She/Her
Active player (354)
I agree (I only helped out in the first 5 levels btw). There are spots where Mario stops from hitting a wall, avoidable by slowing down. Still, nice job got4n!
Nice! About time someone made a TAS that improves upon that crappy one I made years ago when I still barely knew what TAS was, heh.
Yeah. There's a lot of places that at least appear very unoptimized or sloppy. The wall stops TehSeven mentioned (like 27 seconds into the improvement just above), lots of places where you should (?) be jumping down instead of dead falling, the digging, and even in that improvement above, there are missed fireballs when you bounce off his head (why?), more missed fireballs when Bowser jumps, then it doesn't look like you turn and start hitting him again anywhere near as quickly as you could be when he lands.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
It's a nice run, but there are some unoptimized parts, as others have said. At 31:34 in the encode, can't you jump on the Koopaling's head any sooner the second time? It looks like you can save at least two seconds there.
Experienced player (703)
What should I do?
Emulator Coder
got4n wrote:
What should I do?
I recommend you optimize it further. From a quick glance, it looks like this run can be easily shortened by 20 seconds. With some hard work, you probably can double that.
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
The author doesn't get 99 lives in the Airship autoscroller levels, so No vote. Seriously, there are many spots which can be improved.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Voting meh. There are several autoscrollers, and a whole lot of standing around doing nothing during them. Too many uncollected coins and undefeated enemies.
This guy are sick.
Mitjitsu
He/Him
Banned User, Experienced player (532)
I think there is a lot of room for improvement. There is too many occasions where you slam into a wall when it would be faster to slow down avoid it. I'm gonna have to vote no on this one.
This has potential, but it isn't reached with the player. There's a lot of room for improvement, but I would definitely vote yes if it was optimized enough.
This is only a little obsessive.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
I won't stop mentioning this tas and my thoughts about it. So I'll give this run a Meh vote.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.