Pitfall Harry has been kidnaped by Zakelua. It’s up to Pitfall Harry Junior to brave all sorts of lethal traps and face the most fearsome enemies in order to save his father.
  • Plays on Normal Difficulty Setting
  • Takes Damage to Save Time
  • Heavy Glitch Abuse
  • Bad Ending

Dooty's Comments

I was trying to improve the SNES version of Pitfall, but since I was only falling behind due to emulator differences, I decided to take a look on the Genesis version. Midway through the game I found the rock animation cancel trick, which forced me to start it all over, but it was a good thing; in my second attempt I found the clip glitch, the biggest time saver in the new run. So, this run is an improvement of 02:03.34 minutes over the published run, and I hope you enjoy it.

New Tricks

Machine Gun Harry

He must be standing still for this trick to work; press the A button to throw a rock, and on the next frame press Left or Right to cancel its animation. Repeat as needed, but the game has some sort of sprite limit, so you can throw a maximum of 5 rocks at a time.

Landing Animation Cancel

It’s basically the previous trick used to cancel Harry’s landing animation. What makes it different is the fact that you can also use the whip (C Button) to cancel the animation when falling from high ledges. Useful to enter doors slightly faster too; jump a few frames away from the door, press Left, Right, A or C in the frame you land then press Up to enter the door immediately.

Walk Through Walls

The classical walk through walls glitch, a must have in any TAS. Unfortunately, Harry can only clip deep enough into certain walls; mostly the ones he can jump over. Once he clips at least 5 pixels into the wall, press away from the wall for one frame and he’ll be able to run through the wall. Alternatively, you can crawl near some walls and Harry will pass through them as well.

Stage by Stage

Ceiba Jungle

336 frames faster thanks to a better boss fight.

Xibalba Falls

286 frames faster; the jumps and movements are smoother now.

Tazamul Mines

170 frames saved through small optimizations.

Lost City of Copan

2938 frames saved with the wall glitch and a better boss fight.

Copan Temple

1199 frames faster, again, thanks to the wall glitch.

Lakamul Rainforest

482 frames faster; the stage is now more "run right for justice".

Yaxchilan Lagoon

143 frames saved by small optimizations here and there.

Runaway Minecar

8 frames saved by a jump at the start, the rest is an autoscroller.

Tikal Ruins

540 frames faster mostly by a better boss fight.

Temple of Tikal

211 frames faster by, well, you know; optimizations and stuff.

Warrior Spirit

1078 frames saved not only on the boss fight, but by ending the input sooner.

feos: Judging...
FractalFusion: Added temp Youtube encode.
feos: Great action packed run, cool improvement. Accepting and publishing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4098: Dooty's Genesis Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure in 11:01.90
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
Wew, this game is really beautiful. I am giving it a yes vote.
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Good job! I was glad to see that the wallskips mostly avoided boring parts rather than completely breaking the gameplay. The improved fights are also especially noticeable. Does the wallglitch work in the SNES version? If not, then I have a suggestion: do a 100% run on the SNES version that collects all the PITFALL letters. That way, we have a 100% version on the slower system to complement the faster any% run on the Genesis.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Expert player (2581)
Sounds good, but I'm working on one of your old suggestions; Donald's Quack Shot. I found some new tricks and I've already finished Mexico, 957 frames ahead.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Damn, i love Quackshot! Looking forward to it. Good luck!
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Dooty wrote:
Sounds good, but I'm working on one of your old suggestions; Donald's Quack Shot. I found some new tricks and I've already finished Mexico, 957 frames ahead.
Thank you! I'm sorry I toss out suggestions and then don't actually contribute TASing expertise, but I'm glad if it's providing inspiration!
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2475] Genesis Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure by Dooty in 11:01.90
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Great publication screenshot! It didn't seem that nifty at first, and then I noticed the line of thrown rocks between Harry and the boss. :-)
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
Oh, yeah, spotted that one out when watching first time.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
I'd heard of this game before but it's the first time I've ever seen in played, now I'm noticing huge similarities to Earthworm Jim and wondering if there's any relation or if the same people worked on both games?
Active player (266)
Wow, this is even faster than current SNES speedrun; even though Genesis version contains two more levels. Such a solid speedrun. Way to go, Dooty.