03001C7F1 Ucharge
03001C561 SspdX
03001C5A1 SspdY
030019931 U256 frames rule

Old trick (NES version)

Running Full Speed on a Carpet Trick

Running across the ceiling

256 Frames Rule

Some events like Birdo spitting his eggs, or veggies popping out of Wart's Veggie Machine only happen once per cycle.

Getting through a ground (in 1-1)

New trick

Double jump on Ladder/Vine

It's not as same as nes version, and Fast Ladder/Vine Climbing can't work on GBA version. 1st, keep the character is raising. When character is falling, it can't be used Double jump.
2nd, press UP 1 frame on Ladder/Vine, and then press A(jump), now you can use Double jump very easy. But don't forget keep character is raising.

High jump on Ladder/Vine

Keep the speedX 0x03001C56 value >= 8. Like jumping on the ground, the more spdX the higher jumping. If spdX >=8, the first of spdY value is 84, otherwise the first of spdY value is 77.

Lock Screen

Press left and right alternately, and the scroll screen can't be changed. I use it in 1-2, and get the second carpet more quickly.

Throw item or enemy into the wall

Press the negative direction first, then throw the item or enemy. Item or enemy will disappear in some walls.
I used this trick and threw magic bottle into the vase. It can help me save very few frames.

Press start in boss fight

0x03001993 256 frames rule controls all boss action. When press start, the game is stopped, but this frame timer still work. So I can use it to manipulate luck.
Use R instead of B (sometimes) A trick I (got4n) found. Using B for a frame then R then B again avoid getting 24 speed for a frame just when B for a frame, release, then frame. :P

Walkthrough

1-1 1-2
mtvf1 proved me that taking a pow item makes Toad speed 43 instead of max 36, but taking enemy not. I (Got4n) showed and proved to mtvf1 that the glitch improves his first 1-1 (the glitch was proved to work by jeffsledge).
In 1-2 I found a faster strategy by getting a key then using Luigi for avoiding carpet and using key to mash Birdo, but it was close for frame rule so it isn't faster
1-3
Use trick Throw item into the wall.
Ues trick Lock Screen, and change a enemy's x-axis, and get the magic bottle more quickly.
4-1 3-1 5-1
1-3 warp to 4-1.
4-1 save and reset.
Choose stage 3-1, and warp to 5-1.
5-1 save and reset.
Choose stage 4-2.
Choose Mario to complete these stage, because choose other character would cost more than 30 frames.
4-2 6-1
The higher speed in vine, and used trick Throw item into the wall in 4-2. Use trick Lock Screen. Make whale's fountain appeared lately.
This is the last of using reset. When use reset, the 256 frames rule will be reset, too.
5-3
Used trick Throw item into the wall and Luigi for getting faster into the vine
7-1
I(mtvf1) can use mario in 5-3, then change to Luigi in 7-1. But very lucky, I touch the rocket frames rule line of the end frame.
Luigi's jump speed is very slowly. But he can jump higher, and no need to use charge jump. I save 68 frames more than my peach run, and have enough time to choose Toad.
7-2
Use old trick Running across the ceiling.
Use trick Lock Screen to control a enemy's(Spark) y-axis. Use press start trick, control the red yoshi's action. Luckily, I touch the 256 frames rule line in Wart's final boss fight. Only 8 frames faster!
Wart fight. Use press start trick to make Wart more nearly, and keep full speed when be near the door.

Comments

Got4n: mtvf1 did most of the work, but for some reason I'll stay in co-auth :P
mtvf1: I choose the U version and vba-v24m in this tas. In face, for this game, there are not much difference between U version and J version, v23 and v24m. Except different lag. So I choose the least lag combination.
[dead screenshot links removed]
frame 1856
frame 2490
frame 2577
frame 8049

feos: Judging...
Noxxa: Replaced movie file with a 6 frame improvement by one of the authors.
feos: Accepting to Moons and publishing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4108: mtvf1 & got4n's GBA Super Mario Advance in 07:00.58
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Still not sub 7 :( ... Yes vote~ Edit: Question. You uploaded it to nico at 30fps (29 to be exact). Nico does a full 60fps... why didn't you upload it as 60fps?
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Experienced player (703)
yeah, there is some frames to gqin to have a sub 7 XD :) Edit: that's mtvf1 who uploaded to nico, but I think he downloaded my temp YT from youtube to 60 fps
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
Patashu
He/Him
4:58 in the nico encode: How does Luigi do a midair jump?
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Skilled player (1149)
Patashu wrote:
4:58 in the nico encode: How does Luigi do a midair jump?
The trick Double jump on Ladder/Vine
got4n wrote:
Edit: that's mtvf1 who uploaded to nico, but I think he downloaded my temp YT from youtube to 60 fps
It's a little hard for me to touch youtube, so I didn't watch your upload yet. I encoded by myself and uploaded to nico.
Experienced player (703)
oh ok sorry then :p
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
mtvf1 wrote:
got4n wrote:
Edit: that's mtvf1 who uploaded to nico, but I think he downloaded my temp YT from youtube to 60 fps
It's a little hard for me to touch youtube, so I didn't watch your upload yet. I encoded by myself and uploaded to nico.
got4n's statement was towards me.... and it still doesn't answer my question. T.T
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Skilled player (1149)
Spikestuff wrote:
mtvf1 wrote:
got4n wrote:
got4n's statement was towards me.... and it still doesn't answer my question. T.T
I uploaded the 60fps. But this is weekend, nico's low quality time. Only vip user can watch the source quality. Edit: 60fps on sina. Use the same video file. http://www.bilibili.tv/video/av828433/
TheKDX7
He/Him
Player (115)
Yes vote! Great job guys! First screenshot please :D
Editor
Solid stuff, probably a 7.5/10 for entertainment. Always interesting to see how a run of a remake compares to the original. This is almost like watching a low-glitch SMB2, although you still get some of the old glitches and some new ones.
Post subject: super mario advance: YouTube HD
Experienced player (703)
antd: can you remove the link plz? we want to keep nico nico ? btw for the strategy I found but same time than the old one here is the link : Link to video
Post subject: Nico nico suxor
Nico is not cross platform. Unusable on my iPad.
Post subject: Re: #4108: mtvf1 & Got4n's GBA Super Mario Advance in 07:00.68
TASVideoAgent wrote:
In face, for this game, there are not much difference between U version and J version, v23 and v24m. Except different lag. So I choose the least lag combination.
This concerns me. Was an inaccurate emulator specifically chosen to gain time?
Post subject: Re: Nico nico suxor
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
antd wrote:
Nico video doesn't work for me since months (Windows XP/Vista, FireFox 19-25)
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
Fishaman P wrote:
TASVideoAgent wrote:
In face, for this game, there are not much difference between U version and J version, v23 and v24m. Except different lag. So I choose the least lag combination.
In the case of The Minish Cap, VBA-M has less lag, but was also the one being more accurate to console, as some things didn't lag on console but did in VBA 23. How it is in this game though, I have no clue.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
VBA-M is more accurate than VBA 23, so the reduction in lag is similar to what you'd see on a real GBA. Good run, Yes vote. I also vote for the first screenshot.
Skilled player (1149)
Fishaman P wrote:
TASVideoAgent wrote:
I'm not the emulator developer, so I can't explain it. I used the v23 first, and change to v24m. I found when I use 16hex edit to remove the lag frames of movie file, it's synced perfect on v24m. But as I know, in some games, v24m has the more lag than v23. e.g. megaman battle network, advance war, metal slug advance.
Experienced player (703)
Yeah, I think too.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
Fishaman P wrote:
TASVideoAgent wrote:
Less lag does not automatically mean less accurate. Some emulators actually emulate lag incorrectly by generating more lag than the console.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Post subject: Re: Nico nico suxor
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
Warepire wrote:
antd wrote:
Nico video doesn't work for me since months (Windows XP/Vista, FireFox 19-25)
I use Opera now.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I'm a little surprised to see that Toad doesn't run faster in this game version when he picks up an enemy. That really changes the strategies. There's quite a lot going on even in stage 1-1 that I wasn't expecting. You did a good job with making Birdo and Wart entertaining without losing time as well. I still hate their voice effects, but it wasn't enough to spoil the run.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
Watched this on Nicovideo. I'd say this is pretty interesting in its own right, even if this game is a remake of Super Mario Bros. 2 (U). The use of resets gives a different route through the game. The funny voice acting gives it additional charm points as well.
Active player (372)
Great job, it was lots of fun to watch.
Skilled player (1149)
http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/1102670014/0050SMA.vbm Sorry, I fixed some input in title screen (after used reset), total saved 6 frames. Replace movie file, please. Because of only few difference, I think needn't to replace the nico and youtube link.